The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Poo -my old dog is falling apart behind.

The front end is fine, especially for a 13-year old Rhodesian Ridgeback who is quite large. Unfortunately he's had stenosis of the spine for a while and his back end is weak and arthritic. His back legs slip out from under him every now and again, but it's getting pretty bad now. He sinks almost to his hocks while standing to eat (he has a raised feeder) and the other day he came around the corner pretty fast and did the splits (not lateral, the other way) and waited for me to pick him up.

He's on 2 aspirin 2x a day. I am looking at some booties for his back legs for traction. I will talk to the vet about bigger drugs (previcoxx almost gave him an ulcer).

He's in good weight and mentally sharp. Like I said; the front end is fine, but the back end is failing him.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

My 13 year old dog has the added benefit of being deaf, bad cataracts, arthritic feet, and a bit senile, but her hind end is in the same shape. Biggest thing in the house is LOTS of carpets. Anywhere she would walk on hard floors, we laid down some cheap carpets. Otherwise, her legs slip out from under her if she stands too long, tries to turn too fast, or tries to stand up. If carpets aren't an option, at least get some dog boots with traction.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Get your vet to get him on something other than aspirin. Aspirin can cause severe problems. There are safer and more effective meds available.
    Carpet areas of the home for him. Runners, rugs etc will help. Keep him a little on the thin side. Fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supps can help.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've always kept him lean, but I think I may actually take him to a senior formula as he is considerably less active. I will buy him the little booties for his hind end and swing by Walmart for some runners. Poor boop. I will be talking to the vet on Monday. The rimadyl and the aspirin work about the same. Previcoxx didn't sit well with him. MSM -I will add that. I forgot that we use that with old horses.

Paula

Follow-up;

1. We were running low on food so I picked up some 4 Health senior (Tractor Supply).

2. Made a killing at Ollies; got some runners, one of those big rubber mats (the ones you see in factories -thick, kind of egg carton cut outs) for the kitchen. And a real coup -rubber composite deck tiles for his feeders so he can stand comfortably and it can get wet and washed!

Paula

I wonder if Adequan would help. My last collie had a lot of trouble with her hind end too and we were going to start Adequan the day after she died in her sleep.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'll find out on Monday. Sorry for your loss. I just had a good cry over Yoshi myself.

Paula

Aging ain't for sissies, neither man nor beast

If you're going the NSAID route, I love my Metacam (meloxicam). I've had a few seniors on it for up to 2 years with no side effects, and ditto with another half dozen or so client seniors. Never a GI problem with it, as opposed to Previcoxx and Rimadyl (carprophen). The human form, Mobic, is the only thing that gave my husband relief from a messed-up shoulder and back.
    And of course nothing will help degenerative myelopathy

NSAIDs aside, I have a client's dog, Lab 10 yrs, who has had great results recently with heavy loading of glucosamine/chondroitin supps.

I have our 13 year old Irish Wolfhound mix on HA. It makes a difference and no issues from the supplement. Good luck older dogs take some work to keep them going.

Do you know about Adequan? I took our 3-legged Rotty, 12 yrs who is down in he only back leg to the vet this past Friday. x-ray showed hip dysplasia (which we knew). We have much tile in the house. Her front legs are very strong, so she just pulls her back end. I have her on Dasuquin, Rimadyl and Tramadol for now! I'm interested in Adequan but not sure on the dosage. I can give her the shots myself, but need a script from the vet! Very expensive!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    The front end is fine, especially for a 13-year old Rhodesian Ridgeback who is quite large. Unfortunately he's had stenosis of the spine for a while and his back end is weak and arthritic. His back legs slip out from under him every now and again, but it's getting pretty bad now. He sinks almost to his hocks while standing to eat (he has a raised feeder) and the other day he came around the corner pretty fast and did the splits (not lateral, the other way) and waited for me to pick him up.

He's on 2 aspirin 2x a day. I am looking at some booties for his back legs for traction. I will talk to the vet about bigger drugs (previcoxx almost gave him an ulcer).

He's in good weight and mentally sharp. Like I said; the front end is fine, but the back end is failing him.

Paula

Lovey, I'd almost say it was easier (well less hard) when I was dealing with cancer with the other two in their turns. I mean they got sick. But he's healthy except in that back end! You're right; aging ain't for sissies.

Stolen virtue, do you mean by HA Hyaluronic Acid?

Afjkyle, I'm going to ask about Adequan on Monday. I hope it's not prohibitively expensive.

Thanks, guys. I knew I would get commiseration, support, and ideas if I posted this.

Paula

Adding in Tramadol is not a bad idea at this point either.

My 11 year old dog that has blown out both knees is on fish oil, joint supplement with HA, Alenza, Duralactin, monthly Adequan, and Tramadol when needed, which isn't often now. She is doing great.
    Last edited by Beckham03; May. 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Adding more info.

Lovey, I'd almost say it was easier (well less hard) when I was dealing with cancer with the other two in their turns. I mean they got sick. But he's healthy except in that back end! You're right; aging ain't for sissies.

Stolen virtue, do you mean by HA Hyaluronic Acid?

Afjkyle, I'm going to ask about Adequan on Monday. I hope it's not prohibitively expensive.

Thanks, guys. I knew I would get commiseration, support, and ideas if I posted this.

Paula
    Paula yes ! keep in mind these are not 1200 pound animals and a little goes a long way. My very large girl gets a teaspoon daily and is fine, even with our tile and hardwood floors.

Paula, ... *sigh*. So true; sick is so different from "WTF?? Why don't my legs work??" Their bewilderment just stabs you in the heart.

Good luck Monday.

Paula hope you figure something for your pup, jingles from the nations capital! (Which would include up at 5 and draftdriver!)

Wow seems like the pups get all the good meds, i could use some medicam and tramadol myself!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I wonder if Adequan would help. My last collie had a lot of trouble with her hind end too and we were going to start Adequan the day after she died in her sleep.
    I'm sorry you lost your dog before you could try treatment, but it sounds like she had a peaceful passing and was fortunate enough to be in her own home.

I have a friend with an elderly black lab who had the same issues with his hind legs. She did put him on Adequan and he's being doing great. He cruises around the barn quite happily now.

Paula, if you do try the Adequan, I hope your results are also great.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Thanks everyone. It's been two years now since she died. She was such an elegant old girl...she passed as she lived, quietly and with peace.

Paula, if you're going to pursue the Adequan, ask if you can give the injections after the initial injection. That should dramatically lower the price. Good luck on Monday!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

you are a great momma Paula!

Follow-up;
    Made a killing at Ollies; got some runners, one of those big rubber mats (the ones you see in factories -thick, kind of egg carton cut outs) for the kitchen. And a real coup -rubber composite deck tiles for his feeders so he can stand comfortably and it can get wet and washed!

Paula

FWIW, my weird old dog made a wonderful turnaround with Adequan. He can't have Rimadyl, wasn't tolerating Tramadol, and Gabapentin alone wasn't cutting it -- we had some long hard talks about quality-of-life but opted to try Adequan as a last-ditch and he was back to within normal limits of comfy/happy/bouncy within the first few weeks of the loading dose. Was much more affordable for my 40-pounder than I had expected and relative to the results he got, would have been cheap at twice the price.

Good luck with yours.
    http://longestformat.blogspot.com/

"The present tense of regret is indecision."
    - Welcome to Night Vale

Follow up:

I talked to my vet. Adequan is really really expensive, especially for a 110lb dog. Anyway with Yoshi, who has spinal stenosis, we have to sort out whether he's falling from pain or from loss of sensation/weakness. For example, he already rolls his back feet, and the hock sinking may be weakness. So for right now we're going to do Tramadol (pain) and Dasuquin (supplement). This way we'll know what we're looking at. The nice thing about the Tramadol is that we'll be able to go back to walking -motion is lotion! We also considered Prednisone, but I'd like to keep that for later I think.

I think that's all we covered.
    Paula