The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Nashville Iroquois meet is today

It's one of the most important hurdle races of the year. According to Bloodhorse Demonstrative is one of , if not the, favorites.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I got to attend this year, and it was such a fun experience! Now I am going to have to do a lot of research on steeplechasing and learn about it (once I'm back to a computer and not on my phone).

For anyone who is considering going next year-it was amazing! We went with general admission tickets an had the best spot for someone who is attending to actually watch the horses. I will post pictures of our view from my computer later. We got a front row view of each post parade, the final fence and last stretch to the wire, and of the horses walking back to the infield after the races. You could really get a sense of some of the horses personalities. Talk about the look of eagles!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

I just posted a big photo album on my Fb!
    really superb racing.
    **Virginia horses** won 6 of 8 races (a little shout-out humble-brag for my peeps.)
    Sparky I'm so sorry I didn't know you were there!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I missed it this year but from looking at the entries, it looked to be a good day of racing!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Per The Tennessean paper (just) 25,000 fans were on hand. I thought they typically are pushing close to 60k in numbers. Am I incorrect?

Photo gallery of the racing (2013)

And a fascinating look back ...

Photo gallery from [b]1963 Iroquois

Videos from The Tennessean with the 2013 Iroquois
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; May. 12, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Percy Warner Park isn't as big as Great Meadow. 25k is a good crowd.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    Percy Warner Park isn't as big as Great Meadow. 25k is a good crowd.
    Thanks HR, I was incorrectly confusing it with the Carolina Cup with that >50k figure.

In ye olde days, more could squash into Percy Warner, but they changed around the box seating and moved things around since the mid-'80s (when they'd get 30-40,000) and now its more like 20k.
    Still the biggest fanciest richest spring meet by far and I think the ##'s put it that the meet has benefited Children's Hospital at Vandy (or whatever it is) by $millions$ since that's been their charity.
    The Vandy Lifeflight helicopter was on site for the whole day, and there were little knots of Vandy MD's positioned at every fence all around the course.
    There were hat contests, stick horse races, tailgate competitions -- all the accoutrements, plus superb racing.
    That Iroquois was, as you said, one for the ages. My pic over the 2nd last has Divine Fortune reaching like a small working pony hunter (knees up and stretching, belly scraping the hedge) but looming darkly behind him is Demonstrative's pinned ears. He made up 6 lengths up the homestretch -- 2 jumps and a really long, uniformly steep climb. It must be 3/8ths of a mile. It is testing -- they call it Heartbreak Hill. The just-graduated novice division Demonstrative reeled in the top grade 1 veteran says a lot for the winner.