The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wearing the correct apparal is one place to start.. Breifs or bicylce shorts as opposed to jockeys and I would nix the athletic supporter , a wrong landing on one of those while posting IMO would be very uncomfortable .

Also he needs to be taught and demonstrated if necessary to go with the motion not just up down , which will land them on the delicate bits..

I agree with the poster who said have him watch the girls , learn to tuck that fanny under with a wee bit of pelvic thrust on the up will bring him forward with the motion and make for a gentler landing and he will still be with the horse and in the correct postion .

The key is going with the motion of the horse , comes naturally to many but some do have difficulty , and it's not necessarily gender related .

Has the subject come up in conversation? Has he asked you what he should do with his man bits?

I am having a hard time understanding why this is a problem for you.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

I appreciate all the humor -- but if you teach beginners who are male, it is actually a serious question!

I never have males trot for too long at a go while they're learning. I quite consciously have them trot for much shorter intervals than females.

I find they often brace back from the knee, so that their seat ends up closer to the cantle than I consider ideal; but I generally tolerate that as part of the learning process.

Be sure the stirrups, even on the stock saddle, are short enough that he can post correctly.

Since I teach children, and unfortunately in today's world have to be very careful how I interact with them, I have learned to say, "Sit more toward the zipper of your pants" or "more toward the back pockets of your pants" as substitutes for when I'd tell a female adult student, "more toward your pubic bone/tailbone." But the zipper/back pockets might be a nice nonweird way to bring it up.

Of course, if you can find another male and ask him to talk to the rider, that's great.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Has the subject come up in conversation? Has he asked you what he should do with his man bits?

I am really curious about this! Did it look like this guys "boyz" were causing a problem? I have taught men to post (including my husband) and frankly never gave it a thought (although not teaching for equitation but for practicality). i really agree about a flatter saddle, and having the stirrups short enough to post comfortably. I have watched wranglers(guys) instructing other guests (guys) and never mention the twig and berries. but maybe they did in private.

My husband, well, I won't quote him exactly, but he did note that members of his Blackfeet tribe have been riding, posting and so forth for centuries without wearing any "accessories". He said he rides motorcycles, dirt bikes and so forth without any kind of protection, although he said he might if he were competing or riding very hard. I've always just assumed that guys take care of their own boyz.

i have heard wranglers tell (adult) ranch guests who were learning to lope to "disengage the hips, like in sex" - and as far as I know no one was offended.

It's easy and less dramatic than women dealing with crotch seam disasters.

Two things...a saddle that fits (saddles comfy for women tend to be guy-cripplers. Crosby were famous for crippling males. Also, have him wear briefs, not boxers. Have him wear underwear a size smaller than he normally wears.

No problems if you do it correctly.

The German saddles seem to fit men...Passiers and Stubbens. A narrow twist saddle women love are not good for guys.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Guillerme, thank you for such honest and helpful information. A bunch of us had a discussion about this a few weeks ago, as some of our riding students are getting older and this is going to become an issue. That's a great suggestion about the bicycle shorts.

Guillerme,
    I wasn't trying to be inappropriate or cutesy. I'm second generation mexican-american. I grew up speaking Spanglish, didn't learn any "real" Spanish until I was an undergrad. Those were the words that I would have used to refer to those parts when speaking to my much-younger brother.

Culturally, it still would be extremely difficult for me to speak to an adult hispanic male to whom I am not closely related about his manly parts; it makes me cringe just thinking about having to ask him that.
    I would probably quietly talk to his wife, sister, or mother about my question, then have her ask him, then have her tell to me what his answer was. I would give him my response through the same indirect route.

I'm no expert but as a general rule have heard tighty whities one size smaller then your normally wear. Need to hold things up and out of the way. NO BOXERS.

It amazes me that people on this forum (I suppose it shouldn't, given it 99% female) seem to think there is some special secret to male genitalia and riding. It is no different that learning to ride a bike (or dirt bike as mention earlier), or scale over a fence.... basic self preservation kicks in. You slam your nuts one time, you don't let it happen again.
    I'm male and have ridden my whole life, and come from a country/culture where there was a lot more male riders than female. No special instructions were imparted to us on genitalia placement. Common sense and basic self preservation is all that is needed.

8 members found this post helpful.

I don't know any men that have ever had such a problem. Sometimes when questions like this show up on the board I ask DH his thoughts and he never has any idea what the problem is. He rode bulls and bucking horses in tightie whities and Wranglers... no problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Since I gave up posting 25 years ago I don't have much to say about teaching it. I did learn on an Anglo-Arab in the Long Ago and finally "got it" when I figured out how to use the motion of the horse to help me out. If I were to do this today I'd put the guy on the most regular horse you've got and video him. Then review the tape. This approach has corrected more problems with students I've seen over the years that most other methods combined.

As for "male issues" I discovered bicycle compression shorts (the long legged version; the short legged version can "ride up" under breeches). Much more comfortable than a "jock strap."

Can we infer these are English lessons? If so ensure that he's wearing a decent set of riding breeches. There are still makes of "dismounted" breeches and those are worn in a few places (like Texas A&M). The dismounted pattern looks like the mounted pattern from the ground, but you'll quickly figure out the difference if you try and ride in the dismounted pattern.

Sources for correct breeches:

Cotton: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=714&bc=no

Cotton: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=4852&bc=no

Wool: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=177&bc=no

Wool: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=4852&bc=no

Fashion: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=3081&bc=no

If these are Western lessons then make sure the jeans are cut for riding. Ditto if jeans are being worn in English lessons. If they are "fashion" jeans then he has the same problem a woman will have trying to ride in "fashion" jeans (i.e., being cut in half like a chicken). Have him try out the Diamond Gusset jeans. Vastly more comfortable than Wranglers or Levis.

If the world were truly logical then men would ride side-saddle. But is isn't so we have to make adjustments.

G.
    What a cool website you posted!!

It is a cool website. Why in the world would anyone want these?

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=3098&bc=no
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I've taught lots of little boys and it never came up...except once.

7 yeard old was walking around with no stirrups at the end of the lesson, and the pony decided to start trotting towards the gate. He managed to pull the pony up, but they did trot for quite a few seconds.

He was unusually quiet when we went back in the barn, and then asked if I could get his mom - who was a good friend of mine. I guess they headed off to the bathroom because a few minutes later she came out of there with tears running down her face and trying really hard not to laugh.

She came over to me, started cracking up, and said - "my son thought his balls were broken and wanted me to check that they were OK."

After that I never let any of the boys take their feet out of the stirrups unless someone was holding the pony!

6 members found this post helpful.

LOL DH rides western in jeans and boxers and will post if the horse is bouncy or if he is riding one of my english horses. He's a great rider since he started when he was 3 years old so I figured he would have some good input. Here is our text conversation:

Me: How do you keep from crushing your manly bits while posting the trot?
    DH: ?
    Me: I mean what is the correct method?
    DH: Very gently lol

I guess he wasn't much help
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

My fiance took his first riding lesson this weekend. He only could do short spouts of trotting. He definitely needs to figure out the best position to protect his boyz, because if he lost his balance a little bit when attempting to post he REALLY felt it.

I told him to wear tight pants and briefs - but he's not much of a skinny jeans type of guy. We will have to look into the bicycle shorts for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post

He has not asked about what to do with 'em. He watched me demonstrate posting and explain it. He tried and quickly said he'd rather sit.

It's a problem because I'm old-fashioned, a woman and don't speak spanish.

We are friends while we work together at the barn, but my sense of propriety and my language barrier mean that I don't know how to easily get into anything anatomical.

I do think his stirrups are a tad too long, and we also have a flatter/longer seat saddle, so that's a good place to start.

The horse has a rough trot and I know he wants to ride outside. As I have explained to him, ranchers do post if they are covering long distances. It's a skill that even the western roping guy he aspires to be should have.

We might saddle up with the right saddle, go outside and practice again.

Thank you all for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Perhaps that's why the Mexican saddle I once rode in looked like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nohuand...n/photostream/
    Rather like the McClellan cavalry saddles.
    But perhaps shorter stirrups and the opportunity to watch you or another rider will be enough, and a discussion will not be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    It amazes me that people on this forum (I suppose it shouldn't, given it 99% female) seem to think there is some special secret to male genitalia and riding. It is no different that learning to ride a bike (or dirt bike as mention earlier), or scale over a fence.... basic self preservation kicks in. You slam your nuts one time, you don't let it happen again.
    I'm male and have ridden my whole life, and come from a country/culture where there was a lot more male riders than female. No special instructions were imparted to us on genitalia placement. Common sense and basic self preservation is all that is needed.
    I was gonna say something along these lines. Like...he'll figure it out for himself what the best way to post is and whats best to wear as far as undergarments. No need to bring it up or try to help him figure it out - if you are a female, you are ill-equipped for this conversation, no matter the input you get from others. So just teach him how to post and he'll either figure it out from the beginning or he'll rack himself a couple of times on the pommel and figure it out after that.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    It is a cool website. Why in the world would anyone want these?

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=3098&bc=no
    Because you're doing a historical impression of a Corpsman or Medic?

Folks who get into this can be quite serious about their gear.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    I've taught lots of little boys and it never came up...except once.

7 yeard old was walking around with no stirrups at the end of the lesson, and the pony decided to start trotting towards the gate. He managed to pull the pony up, but they did trot for quite a few seconds.

He was unusually quiet when we went back in the barn, and then asked if I could get his mom - who was a good friend of mine. I guess they headed off to the bathroom because a few minutes later she came out of there with tears running down her face and trying really hard not to laugh.

She came over to me, started cracking up, and said - "my son thought his balls were broken and wanted me to check that they were OK."

After that I never let any of the boys take their feet out of the stirrups unless someone was holding the pony!
    Even my sons laughed at this one and they have ridden for years. Funny after I read this to them they said that the first times they trotted it hurt so much - I never knew and they never complained.