The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Teaching guys to post and the Man Bits

Guy COTHers and/or the ladies with an anatomical clue plus teaching experience, please help me (and some Man Bits) out!

Our barn guy wants to ride and I'm giving him lessons. He sits ok-- like a long-time rider who had very few formal lessons. He needs some position corrections like putting his heels down, but those need to be for function only.

And then I tried to teach him to post today. Didn't go well. Of course the first few times posting will be fugly for most people. I need to make this understandable for him (his English isn't great), and comfortable enough/possible for someone who keeps his 'nads on the outside of his body.

I'm at a loss because I learned to post as a little kid and never had the bad design of the male human to contend with.

So please help me help this guy (help the next generation).
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Have him talk to that French guy...

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't have the answer you seek, but the title of your thread is awesome!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

5 members found this post helpful.

My trainer would check in with the rider every once in a while. I think sitting the trot was more uncomfortable than posting for him. She suggested Vaseline, but I have NO idea if that was a good suggestion.
    There is a thread here from a while ago on boxers versus briefs, where the guys weighed in on the relative merits. And there may be specific equestrian underwear for men, like the woman's version, with extra padding in the right place.

Athletic supporter

Since riding astride and saddles were invented by males, it shouldn't be too much of a problem if he is sitting correctly.

If he's having a big problem (no pun intended) he must be very popular.

I've taught a few guys to ride in the past and what helped the most with the posting trot was having them watch the girls.
    Last edited by CFFarm; May. 11, 2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added an "if"
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Since I gave up posting 25 years ago I don't have much to say about teaching it. I did learn on an Anglo-Arab in the Long Ago and finally "got it" when I figured out how to use the motion of the horse to help me out. If I were to do this today I'd put the guy on the most regular horse you've got and video him. Then review the tape. This approach has corrected more problems with students I've seen over the years that most other methods combined.

As for "male issues" I discovered bicycle compression shorts (the long legged version; the short legged version can "ride up" under breeches). Much more comfortable than a "jock strap."

Can we infer these are English lessons? If so ensure that he's wearing a decent set of riding breeches. There are still makes of "dismounted" breeches and those are worn in a few places (like Texas A&M). The dismounted pattern looks like the mounted pattern from the ground, but you'll quickly figure out the difference if you try and ride in the dismounted pattern.

Sources for correct breeches:

Cotton: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=714&bc=no

Cotton: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=4852&bc=no

Wool: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=177&bc=no

Wool: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=4852&bc=no

Fashion: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=3081&bc=no

If these are Western lessons then make sure the jeans are cut for riding. Ditto if jeans are being worn in English lessons. If they are "fashion" jeans then he has the same problem a woman will have trying to ride in "fashion" jeans (i.e., being cut in half like a chicken). Have him try out the Diamond Gusset jeans. Vastly more comfortable than Wranglers or Levis.

If the world were truly logical then men would ride side-saddle. But is isn't so we have to make adjustments.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Hmm, tempted to wake up my husband and ask him!! I taught him to post and never even gave a passing thought to his manly bits!! He is a brief guy but I will recommend those bicycle shorts to him.

I will say, having him on a tall, long strided horse was way easier than on my shorter, smaller strided guys. He was pretty good at standing in the stirrups, then sitting (not crashing back) then standing - we did this at a standstill. then walking he learned to watch a shoulder -back, forward,back, forward. At the trot, like G said, he found the momentum pulled him up, particularly on those long strides. He was posting like a champ in a very short time...but now I am curious about the whole 'nad thing so will check with him to see what he did. I am certain he did not wear a supporter!

As a totally unrelated aside, I used to be a membership director at a community radio station and we really really wanted to sell these adorable jock straps with the station call letters, using the slogan "support your favorite member"..My boss didn't quite go for it!

lilitiger2 I used to work at Hard Sails. Their t-shirts had the Hard triangle trademark and read "Sail with a Hard on" The T-shirts were always in high demand...

tell your boss it could make him rich...as well as famous
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    lilitiger2 I used to work at Hard Sails. Their t-shirts had the Hard triangle trademark and read "Sail with a Hard on" The T-shirts were always in high demand...

tell your boss it could make him rich...as well as famous
    Oh those T shirts are AWESOME! Just found them and am going to order one for a cousin of mine (big sailing family) and the fishing lure one for my husband!! THANK YOU!!!! Makes my day!

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    Have him talk to that French guy...

Mwahahaha!That was my first thought, too.

As for the answer...he'll get the hang of it ( ;P ) eventually. All the boys I learned to ride with, did, eventually! Maybe tell him to use his inner thighs more, to soften the impact? lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Properly fitted (again, properly fitted!) athletic supporter worn over a pair of boxer-briefs. Tell him to visualize them serving as a horse's sheath.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

You might also wish to check the saddle being used. Husband and son both ride/rode quite a lot and a correctly fitting saddle was a BIG deal. Both preferred wider twist saddle than what women liked, more comfortable for them. Flatter seats to the saddle, not the deep seat preferred by many riders. Husband learned his riding from male instructors, so no idea what "clues or remarks" were passed on during lessons to aid posting correctly. Husband worked with son to get his riding skills developed, helped in looking for good fitting saddle for the kid. Husband NOT willing to share his County on a daily basis. We got a real nice Collegiate, had the longer leg flaps too, for long-legged kid, and son put in a LOT of hours riding in that saddle.

I have ridden both the guys English saddles, and they do sit differently than what I would choose for myself. Maybe you have such a saddle in the barn that guy could do his lessons on. None of the male riders I know, like a narrow twist saddle, and that is both English or Western saddles. Flatter seat is the way to go and keep them comfortable on a horse.

Thank you all for your input!

Guy rides in a western saddle. It is flat enough (at least to look at) and large enough for him. I have no idea what he wears under his loose jeans and we don't have the relationship where I can go there.

As I understand it, the boys put The Boyz ahead of the pubic bone-- all out there like a welcome mat. I have never known what happens to the welcome mat during the "up" part of the post.

Advanced posters don't raise their seat up out of the saddle so much as roll it forward. So maybe The Boyz are still on the saddle, but not subjected to any steam-roller action.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

OT, but in the movie Idiocracy, there was a reality TV show called, "Ow, My Balls!"
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

And also, I think I need to learn the right vocabulary in spanish. Give me what you got-- from textbook correct to dirty to regular slang you'd use.

I think that if I spoked to him about where he was putting his "package" or "unit" he might not get it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

huevos = testicles. Literal translation is "eggs."

If you are on a first-name basis with your student, I would just refer to his manly parts by using the diminutive form of his first name by adding -ito to the end of said first name. So if his name is Juan, and you refer to his Juanito, your student should pick up on your meaning pretty quickly.
    Last edited by californianinkansas; May. 11, 2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: clairification

The literal word for "testicle" is "testiculo." That might be a better choice than huevos, cajones, or other worlds that might carry an insulting or salacious connotation (depending upon whether the man is from Mexico or Spain or Argentina or somewhere else).

When we had the 4H horse project here I had this discussion with several mothers. Frankly, I preferred dealing with the fathers as they were more simpatico. But some of our kids were from single parent, mostly mother, families. I purposefully kept the discussion as "clinical" as possible and that worked out best.

Particularly when dealing with non-American men I'd not engage in "artsy-cutsie" talk but rather cast the discussion in clinical terms. The odds of misunderstanding of any kind go way down.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

As I understand it, the boys put The Boyz ahead of the pubic bone-- all out there like a welcome mat. I have never known what happens to the welcome mat during the "up" part of the post.

Advanced posters don't raise their seat up out of the saddle so much as roll it forward. So maybe The Boyz are still on the saddle, but not subjected to any steam-roller action.
    Thank you for the "welcome mat" image. I shall never see a welcome mat in the same way again.

I also agree with you that correct posting is a rocking forward, not the up-down pogo stick. Novices learning to post always go for the pogo stick because they're being told to go up. If you instruct them to rock forward, you get a better post more quickly, and the rider doesn't keep losing his or her balance.
    There was a German dressage equitation book in the 90's with detailed anatomical drawings of pubic bone positioning, etc., showing the penis, but I don't recall this book discussing what to do with the Boyz.

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Dressa...e+horsemanship Anatomy of Dressage. It explained Museler with the added benefit of anatomical knowledge, as both authors were doctors. "Ze velcome mat" must be without wrinklez."

I did note that Henry Wynmalen always seemed to look as though his welcome mat was out of place in many of his pictures...
    Last edited by Pat9; May. 11, 2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: more info
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

Reminds me of when I was a teen trying to teach a little boy how to post in an English saddle. I kept stressing to him to SIT BACK, but he kept sliding forward into fetal position.

I think he finally got my point when I heard him call out, "can you come grab the horse -I CAN'T SEE!!"