The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wintec vs. Wintec Wide

I recently purchased a Wintec Pro dressage (wool-flocked) for my 5 year old Dutch Warmblood/Draft cross. It came with a wide gullet in it, but it doesn't look that much wider than my 33cm Prestige. I want to order the Wintec Wide gullet package, just because he's so young and I'm not sure how much wider he's going to get. My question is this- Can I use the Wintec x-wide, 1X, 2x, etc on the regular Wintec even though it's not the Wintec Wide?

From the Wintec website - the answer is no.

Which saddles accommodate the EASY-CHANGE Gullet System WIDE?

The New Wintec 500 Wide All Purpose, New Wintec 500 Wide Dressage and the now discontinued Wintec Wide are the ONLY Wintec models that feature the WIDE gullets from the EASY-CHANGE Gullet System WIDE. They have trees specifically developed to accommodate the WIDE gullets. Trees in our other Wintec models have not been designed to stretch this wide, doing so would risk distorting and weakening the tree, which may lead to a breakage not covered under the manufacturers' warranty.

1 members found this post helpful.

Right. There is an xwide that goes with the wintec dressage pro-

white I think and the wide is red. Which do you have now?

Right now it has the red in it.
    Has anyone used the red and switched to white? Did you notice a big size difference?

Quote Originally Posted by KarenRO View Post
    From the Wintec website - the answer is no.

Which saddles accommodate the EASY-CHANGE Gullet System WIDE?

The New Wintec 500 Wide All Purpose, New Wintec 500 Wide Dressage and the now discontinued Wintec Wide are the ONLY Wintec models that feature the WIDE gullets from the EASY-CHANGE Gullet System WIDE. They have trees specifically developed to accommodate the WIDE gullets. Trees in our other Wintec models have not been designed to stretch this wide, doing so would risk distorting and weakening the tree, which may lead to a breakage not covered under the manufacturers' warranty.

Thanks...I definitely don't want to mess that up

xogypsy I've used the White Extra Wide gullet plate in a normal Wintec Pro with no problems. The widths run slightly narrow, at least according to my saddle fitter, and the white plate worked well to accommodate a broad back. I used it for several years with no problems, and I don't recall it being sold as part of the "WIDE" system specifically.

ETA - I switched from the red to white.
    Last edited by Lost_at_C; May. 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

The white extra wide is part of the normal gullet set, and can be used on a regular Wintec. The extra wide ones are different colors, and as Karen said, are only for the wide saddles. I used to have a Wintec, and thought there was a noticeable difference between the red (wide) and white (extra wide) gullets.

I've used the White Extra Wide gullet plate in a normal Wintec Pro with no problems.
    Well, yes. As mentioned a couple times above, the xwide white gullet is part of the set that works with the wintec pro dressage.

Has anyone used the red and switched to white? Did you notice a big size difference?
    There's a difference . Define big You just have to try it. No need to buy the whole set- you can usually pick up an extra gullet if you look on line.

Well, yes. As mentioned a couple times above, the xwide white gullet is part of the set that works with the wintec pro dressage.
    Sheesh Crockpot, apologies for trying to answer the OP's question! It was mentioned exactly once, by you, and was preceded by a rather ambiguous post from Wintec's website. I was responding with my own experience for clarity, and to answer this next post from the OP:
    Has anyone used the red and switched to white?
    Looks like a few folks have had an extra helping of sarky pills today.

Looks like a few folks have had an extra helping of sarky pills today.
    Sarky pills?

Sorry, British-ism!

OP - I think the extra wide ones that you can't use in the regular Wintecs come in shades of purple, so they're pretty easy to distinguish.

Here's some really good info from a professional saddle fitter about the gullet sizing - http://saddlefitter.blogspot.com/201...s-details.html

As stated before, you can't use the Wintec Wide plates in the standard Wintec models, but you can use the wide and xw plates from the standard model in the Wintec Wide. The purple Wintec Wide plates (there used to be only 3, but there are 4 now) were a royal pain to keep straight, esp. if you were talking to customers about them and are (as I am) somewhat color-challenged ("Is it the lilac plate, or the concord grape colored plate? Or was it the mauve plate?"). Anyway, they work well for some of the wider horses, though I still don't like the kink in the plate ... But if your horse is a true hoop-tree candidate, or if s/he has a scoopy back, they won't work too well.

Thanks everyone! We rode the red wide gullet today..just walking around a little (I'm 7 months pregnant so that's all we'll be doing for while anyway) and after consulting with a friend..it does fit...an extra wide would just fit better. So I'll be buying one shortly. But I LOVE the saddle! Here's to hoping my boy stops growing!!