The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Irishodyssey View Post
    Hi, a friend has a horse, a chestnut thoroughbred gelding, who we can not seem to keep weight on. He is narrowly built, but eats 2 full scoops of fibergized by pennfield with fat cat and other weight related supplements. Any one have ideas of how to keep weight on this guy? Thanks
    maybe use a higher fat feed?
    TC Complete. it's 12% fat but 20% NSC
    TC Senior is 10% fat and only 13% NSC.

honestly, 2 scoops is not much. I was feeding my horse 5-6 scoops a day of a 6% fat pellet and put weight on him like a mo-foe (with the help of Ulcergard).
    Plus he gets free choice alfalfa and is on good pasture at night.

He's starting to look like a chubby monkey and I like it.

And he's finally eating something other than that stupid pellet. So he's being switched over to TC Complete.
    But still with that, he gets 3 feedings. each contains 1 scoop of that stupid pellet, 2.5lbs of TC Complete and 2 cups of Amplify.

and he's turned into a lazy SOB. I tried to do a gallop set today and he puttered out pretty quick. hehehehe. I LOVE it.

Eventually he will be dropped down even more but I'm still in the process of putting chub on him.

high fat goodies would be things like veggie oil, cool calories, black oil sun flower seeds.
    and I love beet pulp. beet pulp = awesomeness.

I'm hoping one day my horsie will learn to love it. He won't eat it though. Now that he's ulcer free we shall see!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

FWIW, Fibergized is 10ish% fat, 12 or 13% NSC. Fibergized Omega is a bit more fat, and about the same in NSC.

OP, I think you all can certainly up this horse's feed. He's getting what I consider a "maintenance" amount for the average horse with an average job- maintenance being that they need some calories but not a lot.

1 members found this post helpful.

2 scoops a day or 2 scoops a meal?

My chestnut OTTB gelding only gets crazier when you add more grain to his diet- even as a pasture puff!! He gains weight based on FORAGE. Needs lots of hay/grass/hay stretcher. I've had good luck with cool calories with him also.

I have had amazing success with Nutreena High fat pellets (black bag).

buckeye grow n win.

Hay and lots of it - sometimes soaking it helps. Mine get 60/40 oats and beet pulp, with rice bran and ground flax meal, and soybean oil. I've also had good luck with adding Calf Manna and Clovite. I didn't have good luck with Amplify at all.

Sometimes it depends upon how long they've been off the track, too. Some let down easier than others.

Our hard keeper gets Nutrena ProFiber (have also used Buckeye E8 Gut Health successfully) OmegaShine flax seed, and a magnesium supplement. It's taken 2 1/2 years to figure all this out - with lots of experimentation. I also have him on the best orchard/alfalfa hay I can find and give him as much of it as he will stuff himself with.

We use cup measurements, my 2 horses get 3 cups of beet pulp, 2 cups of fat n fiber and 1 cup of equijewel as a topper. The equijewel is really important it is great for balancing everything out. They are both ottb's and live outside 24/7 during the summer. They get grain 2x daily.

One of them is 18 and when I first got her I spent over a year trying to find something for her because she was a bone rack.

I never used to feed fat n fiber either, I always fed oats and barley, fat n fiber is just what they use where we are but they are doing well on it.
    "My ideal horse is the horse that I fall in love with again every morning when I see his face hanging over the stable door, looking for breakfast. " - Jim Wofford

Yes, he gets amazing hay, as much as he wants, and 8 quarts a day not 4. He gets 4 a meal. He is also on lush green grass 24 hours a day if its nice out

Has he been checked and/or treated for ulcers?
    My guy lives out almost 24/7, has alfalfa/grass hay fed with meals and gets about 9lbs of Pennfield Fibergized, but before we treated him for ulcers he was ribby, the vet said that he looked like a racehorse. After his round of blue pop rocks hes starting to look like his warmblood friends
    Chrissy

RIP Beaming Sportsfield (1998-2012)

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd add beet pulp.
    Sounds like the grain you feed is top notch. : )

You can really add some good body with beet pulp. and you can feed A LOT of beet pulp. If he is in and doesn't have access to grass then it may be a really good idea to give it a try. Plus it's inexpensive.

Here's hoping there will be a day when my OTTB will be eating a home made feed. I'm big on beet pulp and a ration balancer plus some sort of added fat.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

If he is eating that and still thin, I echo the ulcers suggestion. Worth checking out, anyway. It sounds like you are already feeding him very well.

Is there something in his turnout or stall situation that is stressing him and keeping him from eating well despite the opportunity/offerings in front of him? My TB does not eat well when he is stressed. In a new place he will not eat unless he has a buddy nearby. Maybe move him to a quiet area of the barn? Or a busier one, if he is in a quiet corner and craves more action? Just brainstorming some other options that you might think about, none of these might be relevant.

Thanks!