The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

DancingFoal, so sorry this happened to you, but I'd file a police report without hesitation. That's the proper response to a theft. I don't see why it would upset anyone for any reason. If such a theft occurred at my farm and a boarder's items were stolen I would insist that the police be notified. Actually I'd notify them myself.

I'm completely fascinated by these metal show boxes. I really like the modern, workmanlike look of the metal trunks and expect they might wear very nicely in a barn/show environment. I hope you update us (with pics) on what your DH creates for you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    Has anyone seen or owned a metal trunk . . . .
    will 24 inches wide by 28 inches deep by 4 ft ?

There are metal job site tool storage chests that start at that size and go up

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...30-175067340-2

Default I am sorry this has happened ~ how horrible !

I am sorry this has happened ~ how horrible !

Honestly if they are willing to blow through the lock with a crow bar ~ I would keep my most vauable = treasured tack with you in the car ( in a locked storage container ) ~

Actually I would move to a different barn ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

3 members found this post helpful.

I got one of these with my trailer
    http://www.eclipsealuminumtrailers.c...-show-tack-box
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Sometimes you just find the COOLEST things sitting out with the trash!! I get rid of stuff that way, but add a FREE sign so it goes faster!
    Even better: Put a "$25" sign. Either people will steal it because they assume it's worth something, or they'll actually pay you for it.

OP, please call the police. That is so incredibly unacceptable. The stolen Philip Dutton dressage girth kind of makes me want to cry.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

4 members found this post helpful.

Agree with others, please file a police report! It is so imperative that the police be tipped off to any suspicious activity and horse items are expensive, not to mention the priceless PD dressage girth! I would definitely peek around in everyone's cars, trunks, tack boxes, etc. at the barn over the coming days because I bet your items will be in there somewhere. Not too long ago someone's bridle was stolen by a fellow boarder and was found shortly thereafter painted bright pink! Please update us when your DH is finished constructing your new box.

What I don't understand is why they would have targeted your trunk (which was obviously locked). Who would do such a thing? Surely there were other, unlocked, trunks to steal from?

I would certainly file a police report, and start to wonder about the BO if they didn't consider this a *very* big deal. Crowbars???

2 members found this post helpful.

Check out some JOBSITE boxes, and padlocks.
    http://www.toolboxesdirect.com/tool-...FYOK4Aodw1gAdw
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

YES file a police report! You're not being dramatic. Someone STOLE YOUR SH*T!

Also, I think I would sell body parts for one of those airplane boxes... So beautiful.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

If another boarder broke into your trunk in the tack room of the barn I would inform the barn owner and then file a police report. And I guarantee if it's a big barn someone knows who did it. We only have 11 people at my barn, but you can't make even a minor offence without someone knowing who it was. People gossip and talk, and quite often the ones with the biggest mouths are the people who are the worst. I'd also be asking the barn owner to search everyone's stuff for your items and watch for other people using them. If I were a barn owner I'd want to know about this type of this ASAP and would be trying to find out who it was so I could kick them out! Can't imagine any BO wants those kinds of people around.

You do need to file a police report.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    You do need to file a police report.
    I have to say I can't see your name without smiling and thinking of that thread.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I'm totally going to PM you for pics, Bluebuckets! Materials, etc aren't an issue since DH is a fabricator with his own shop. I'm actually super excited about getting a new trunk now I visited McGuinn at Wellington, and also checked out two other airplane box manufactures when we went to WEF. I love seeing all the neat things they can do with tack trunks now.

You're right, MVP. Done and done Re: the lock: I think they used what was at hand. The lock and hasp were on the floor; the hasp was well-bent but the lock was still attached to a piece of it. The front of the trunk has a vertical split on the opposite side from where the claw or crowbar was wedged (which was on the true left). The trunk has a break front which, although beautiful, made it less sturdy under that kind of pressure. Alas, it served me well these past ten years, but I have recently learned that sturdy is often better than pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Nothin' says love like a Bond-esque tack trunk made for your honey.

I think the weak link in your bad-a$$ box will be the lock. You want that thing on there so that it can't be pried off. (And are you saying that someone didn't take off the lock but hacked through the wood of your existing trunk?)

Also, I think you can/should file a police report. You aren't being dramatic, you are doing what anyone would when they have had items stolen. If you want to file a claim with your home owner's insurance co., I think you'll need to do this.

Ferchrissake. Stand your ground and don't make a big deal about that. The BO should be concerned about theft at her place. You don't need to be embarrassed.

Do a police report, or you won't be able to claim the loss on your insurance, or on your taxes.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Thanks for the advice all I've filed a report.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good. So you are putting, like, 6 locks on the new full metal bad boy?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

That, and a retinal scanner Oh, and tazers . . . and scorpions (trained ones). DH and I did an Iron Man and Avengers movie marathon this weekend, so I'm ready to roll!

How in the world is there only one person who suggested not a new tack box, but a new barn?? I agree...if people are willing and feel confident enough to take a hammer or crowbar to someone else's LOCKED trunk, in plain sight in the tack room, I'd be not only PISSED but extremely concerned about everything else that would go on when people are not there. My lord, even at my barn in college (aka, full of broke college students) we wouldn't steal from one another or anyone else in the barn, even with expensive equipment one (unlocked) locker away.

I'm glad the BM is agreeing to install cameras...however they don't do a bit of good unless/until they are hooked up and monitored.

And OP I realize changing barns is not an easy task, but DAMN.

^^ how does taking other people's stuff by force not translate to treating other people's horses like their mine, riding, hitting, manhandling. The mindset is the concern, and I'd be more concerned about my horse than my things.