The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Metal Tack Trunks? Or how I got pi**ed off at the barn.

A bit of back story: Early this year I had some nice items stolen while my horse was in training -- one of which was a dressage girth Phillip Dutton gave me -- directly off of his own horse. I moved to a new facility, and yesterday entered the tack room to the sight of my beautiful wood trunk with a sprung lock and split front: someone had used either a crowbar or claw hammer to "access" my sheepskin shipping halter, Irish knit sweat sheet, and new bottle of shampoo. I.am.not.a.happy.camper. Nor is my DH. DH happens to be a fabricator, and is willing to make me a metal trunk to thwart further permanent borrowing.

We looked at various metal tack lockers in person, but they're too large for the tack room at the barn. Has anyone seen or owned a metal trunk . . . something that looks like a traditional wood or vinyl trunk? Do you think a metal tack trunk would be doable? I don't want to use a plastic trunk (sorry) and have a Deerfield Bay Diamond trunk too; they warp after time.

PS -- I've done a google search, and looked through Pinterest, but have only seen the metal tack lockers thus far.

Could your DH modify a metal feed bin for you?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Could your DH modify a metal feed bin for you?
    He could, but he wants to try to craft something from scratch first since it would cost him less (he has literally tons of material) to use what he has. Plus, he can exercise his creative side I like the feedbin idea though; that could be a good starting point with sizing.

No advice, beyond - holy crap I would be PISSED! Someone broke into your tack trunk in the tack room? Do you board at a really large facility?

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh, yes, forgot to say, not good about your stuff, I would be BEYOND furious at that.
    (maybe thats something for the DH to fit to your next one , some kind of security device, alarms, or mousetraps to catch sticky fingers).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Oh, yes, forgot to say, not good about your stuff, I would be BEYOND furious at that.
    (maybe thats something for the DH to fit to your next one , some kind of security device, alarms, or mousetraps to catch sticky fingers).
    I think he was more angry than I was, lol. He's thinking about putting a GPS device on the bottom -- I suggested a hot wire on top But seriously, security or GPS might actually be good for shows. Hmmm...

From the COTH wayback machine, courtesy of VTRider (still here I wonder?):

https://www.sullivansupply.com/cart/...ox-medium.aspx

Sorry about your stuff. People just suck sometimes.

ETA: here are some more:

http://supremeshowsupply.com/items/categoryId=68

If you Google "cattle show box" you should come up with even more.
    Last edited by War Admiral; May. 10, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: moar
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

3 members found this post helpful.

I sure hope you go there after hours and comb the other boarders stuff. I would be SOOOOOOOO Pissed, Especially the girth from Phillip Dutton!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    From the COTH wayback machine, courtesy of VTRider (still here I wonder?):

https://www.sullivansupply.com/cart/...ox-medium.aspx

Sorry about your stuff. People just suck sometimes.
    Cool! I've never heard the term "Show Box" before, but that search term pulls up a lot more pictures. The Sullivan ones look great Thank you SO much!

Sometimes people do suck, but it's all replaceable . . . except for Phil D's girth :/ But I aim to prevent this again if possible.

You are very welcome. I've actually had my eye on these myself for a while, so if you get one, let me know how you like it! I'm thinking if one got the steel ones, one could get a magnetized *sign* made up for the front, yes?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Doesn't your BO or BM have anything to say about this MAJOR problem? Could THEY put up security cameras with tapes you can look at later? I find it hard to believe that such BOLD THEFT as taking a bar to your lock is the first time this has happened. Perhaps a police report is in order, you stuff is not cheap.

So sorry to hear such a bad story. You might want to put a couple D-rings on your metal box, so you can anchor it to the wall or floor, so it is not wheeled away totally.

14 members found this post helpful.

A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Think a bit out of the box... Web search on "job box". You could either spent the money or have DH fab a custom copy of a job box and its security features. A "job box" is designed to hold valuable tools in an unsecured place.

See link >> http://www.knaack.com/jobsite_storag...ool_chests.php

Those metal show boxes are neat but seem to have flimsy latches?
    Would those withstand a crowbar attack?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Thanks for all the input I knew CotH was the place to go! BO is aware of the situation and will be putting cameras in. I've considered a police report but am afraid of backlash from the barn owner, as I'm new to the area and don't want to be seen as a drama llama. I did manage to take some excellent pictures of the crowbar marks, split wood, and sprung hasp

DH uses job boxes at his shop, but wants to construct something that looks like a traditional tack trunk but that is relatively impermeable (within reason). The box would go to shows so will be powder coated and styled in our farm colors. I saw some neat additions from the guy that makes the USET travel boxes! Including a small insulated and lockable "drug safe" -- equine drugs of course DH is out doing a "guys' night" tonight, so I'll throw all these ideas at him tomorrow. The flimsy latch thing is something he picked up on right away, and he plans to double-reinforce with steel that's screwed through and welded on the interior. I'm super-excited to see what he comes up with! He's not a horse-person, so I've had to explain about what goes where and why in a trunk.

If you guys could have anything in a custom trunk, what would it be? I'm thinking of a separate area for shampoos and hoof dressings, where each could stand up in their own individual cubby. Maybe a net in the lid for wraps like the Diamond trunk? And actually, a little light in the lid (like a 'fridge light) so I can see what's in there on early horse show mornings. It stinks that my stuff was taken, but I'm actually getting excited about the prospect of a new James Bond-esque tack trunk!

3 members found this post helpful.

If you are able to spend big bucks, think about an all-aluminum trunk or, better yet, airplane box (these fit EVERYTHING in them so nothing can be damaged/stolen) from this place:

http://http://www.mcguinnfarms.com/airplane_p1.html

I built a theft-proof tack trunk on my own (yay for women welders!) that cost me about $300. I did, however, have access to a full metal and full wood shop (as in, used to build everything from massive dump trailers from scratch to huge, beautiful oak dinner tables and everything between) so equipment wasn't a problem like I imagine it might be for someone on their own.

Mine is built like a hand-cart. I built a frame out of 1/8" angle iron and welded it together. It sits on lawn-mower wheels on one side (attached to an axle I constructed out of some rod and steel tubing, attached to the trunk with some 1/8" square tubing) and square tubing legs on the other end. I built a handle out of flat bar and steel tubing, welded steel hinges on to connect the lid to the box, and welded on my hasp latch. The lid was so heavy that I had to weld on catch-chains to the inside of the lid so it wouldn't go too far back and tip the trunk over. I slid half-inch-thick furniture-grade maple ply into the box (I stained and varnished it beforehand!)

I made the lid really deep so I could put bridles and halters in it. A farrier out at the barn who is an old-time guy (translation: he can make his own horseshoes... and many other things from metal) made me 4 hand-forged hooks (2 penny and 2 scroll) that I attached to a piece of flat bar and bolted to the lid with carriage bolts (sandwiched the wood between the bar and the angle iron). I built a box for wraps into the bottom, but otherwise it is just sortof big so I can put anything from my saddle to saddle pads to my show helmet and show boots into the box.

If you want pics, PM me!

Nothin' says love like a Bond-esque tack trunk made for your honey.

I think the weak link in your bad-a$$ box will be the lock. You want that thing on there so that it can't be pried off. (And are you saying that someone didn't take off the lock but hacked through the wood of your existing trunk?)

Also, I think you can/should file a police report. You aren't being dramatic, you are doing what anyone would when they have had items stolen. If you want to file a claim with your home owner's insurance co., I think you'll need to do this.

Ferchrissake. Stand your ground and don't make a big deal about that. The BO should be concerned about theft at her place. You don't need to be embarrassed.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Winner!! Lol, that made me laugh.

Psychologically it's a true deterrent. Even if they haul it away, they'd have to crack the safe. Unless they are of a criminal bent and intrigued.

Me, I end up carting my saddle back and forth to the barn, and got hideously garishly colored accessories (ugly purple long whip) that even teenagers wouldn't be caught dead with.

Please. File a police report. This is exactly HOW these people go on and on and on doing this for years. In my case, the 'barnmate' at my boarding barn who crowbarred my trailer open and stole over 2,000.00 worth of my tack, turns out had been stealing and reselling for OVER A DECADE. She simply got kicked out of each location each time and moved (very often even into another county) and each time, the Barn/management was so glad to be rid of her, or felt 'the police won't do anything about it', or yada yada...and each facility she gave a new bogus story to for why she had to 'leave so quickly' (one that I particularly loved: " My current boarding barn had a roof collapse due to the snow and I had to move them overnight').............so it continued. There are literally more than 15? barns I know of where she's totally banned. But, lets face it...thousands more completely at her mercy if they don't know of her. In this case, her grand jury indictment and her arrest and plea bargain and guilty plea is now a record that is perfectly legal and recorded and NOT slander or liable to share with the horse world! By the way...please tell me this isn't in Virginia?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

7 members found this post helpful.

Those airline boxes are beautiful, but still not immune to theft. There was a COTH article about some BNT preparing to go to Europe? Anyway, boxes were packed, rolled out for pickup by the Van coming for the horses. Left SEVERAL of these nice boxes sitting BY THE ROAD!!! Then help went back to the barn to finish preparing horses. SURPRISE!! Boxes were gone when the van arrived to load horses! I don't remember there ever being an article about the boxes being found later, but the BNT lost ALL his equipment, pricy saddles, custom boots, loads of bridles and pads, that he was taking to Europe for his Circuit over there.

Have to say if I found such nice boxes sitting by the road, I probably would stop and load them up myself, before going up to the house to see if they REALLY meant to throw them away!! Husband got a free carriage that way, person had wrecked it and was going to put it out with the trash cans!! Yup, the guy would put it back by his barn while husband came home for the truck to haul it away. So we got the carriage for nothing.

I just had such a hard time believing people would leave their stuff sitting out by the road that way. Guess it was their regular method, van loading by the road was easier. But leaving stuff by the road? WHAT were they thinking?? Everyone I know, in various locations, all agreed that stuff left alone by the road means item is a "give away" thing. You can always ask if it looks too good to be true. Sometimes you just find the COOLEST things sitting out with the trash!! I get rid of stuff that way, but add a FREE sign so it goes faster!