The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Surgery for Displaced Soft Palate?

My little 5yo (turned 5 today!) mare was scoped yesterday and diagnosed with a clear, straight-forward case of DDSP. My vet is not able to do the surgery himself, but assures me that her case is so clear-cut that not only will her quality of life improve tenfold, but that once her issue is fixed, there's nothing to stop her from moving up the levels...at least not with breathing! I am excited to fix this for her, as she's just 5, coming along great, and is going to be something spectacular without the limitation.

I am waiting for the vet at Tufts who will perform the surgery to get back to my vet, who will then get back to me...I was advised that with the weekend and everything, it will be about a week.

So I'm just looking for experiences from the great pool of COTHers...has anyone had DDSP surgically corrected? My vet doesn't even think a full tie-forward is necessary, just some strategic lasering. And just so I don't faint when Tufts gets back to me....what am I looking at for a bill? (She is insured, but they consider it "elective" surgery, despite the fact that she CAN'T BREATHE at times.) What is the recovery time like? Was it a noticeable difference?

I've been doing some research on the topic and have been finding (oddly enough) a ton of info on barrel racing boards, all of whom noticed a marked improvement in performance.

Thanks!

- A nervous mom with a bank account cowering in the corner
    Well isn't this dandy?

There are three procedures for displacing, do you know which one you are having? I have had horses have them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    There are three procedures for displacing, do you know which one you are having? I have had horses have them all.
    I don't know, it's possible I would recognize it if you tossed the three names out. My vet was pretty much deferring to the expert at Tufts in terms of final diagnosis. (And cost. -sigh-)
    Well isn't this dandy?

Myectomy, llewelyn, tie forward.

Myectomy, llewelyn, tie forward.
    I specifically asked about the tie-forward, and my vet said that that would likely not be the best solution. The other two, I don't know about, sorry! I will have more concrete answers in about a week.
    Well isn't this dandy?

Myectomy is the cheapest but least likely to work. Llewleyn is the way I would go but it is difficult to find someone who does them. There is a vet that just travels from track to track doing them, if you could hook up with her somehow that would be great. Cheap and effective. Keep in mind that none of them work very long term. It is a bandaid, not a cure. Have you experimented with changes in equipment? Are you sure you asked about the tie forward and not the tie back? The tie forward absolutely is for displacing, the tie back is not.

Contact Laurel Highland Vet Clinic in PA. 570-326-1134. They're wonderful and are doing VERY cutting edge dentistry. This vet has been teaching the universities how to do many complex procedures. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    Contact Laurel Highland Vet Clinic in PA. 570-326-1134. They're wonderful and are doing VERY cutting edge dentistry. This vet has been teaching the universities how to do many complex procedures. Very good.
    Are you saying that she is displacing because of her teeth?

Myectomy is the cheapest but least likely to work. Llewleyn is the way I would go but it is difficult to find someone who does them. There is a vet that just travels from track to track doing them, if you could hook up with her somehow that would be great. Cheap and effective. Keep in mind that none of them work very long term. It is a bandaid, not a cure. Have you experimented with changes in equipment? Are you sure you asked about the tie forward and not the tie back? The tie forward absolutely is for displacing, the tie back is not.
    Thanks. I have read about the Llewleyn surgery, which was pioneered at Cornell, and I am perfectly willing to haul her the five hours there if that's where she will get the best treatment. Apparently the guy at Tufts has a good rep too.

From what I have read, the Llewleyn IS a permanent fix...although maybe I'm wrong. The way my vet was speaking did not suggest that there would be any future issues.

Yes, I'm sure I asked about the tie-forward, I had done a lot of reading pre-expensive diagnostic appointment.

I have experimented some with changes in equipment...not to the point of buying the Cornell collar, although that was on my list if she was for some reason not a candidate for surgery. It might still be on the table if I need a few weeks to save up. As it stands, my vet is advising very very light work for her, nothing that can aggravate the DDSP, which "acts up" even when she is just turned out. While a change in biting did help, she is definitely a surgical candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    Thanks! I may get in touch with them after I hear from the vets at Tufts, but like Laurie I'm wondering at the dental connection? That is not something that I have heard of with DDSP before..
    Well isn't this dandy?