The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wintering South with Horse/carriage

I am thinking about taking a month or 2 and heading someplace warm for the winter. I have checked into Black Prong and Grand oak but looking for suggestions of places that I may not know about. I am open to other States also but some didn't seem that warm to me. Hoping for 60-80 degree weather in Jan.

I have a LQ but wouldn't mind a room. Nice horse facilities and a driving community are important to me.

Between the two, Black Prong and Grand Oaks; I would pick Grand Oaks.

Black Prong has great trails, miles and miles of endless trails since its attached to the Goethe State Forest. There are very nice dressage and cones arenas, hazards, and paddocks. The rooms have limited kitchen equipment (no burners or oven) just toaster ovens and microwave and I think hot plates. There are washers and dryers to share and a community bathhouse as well. The down side to Black Prong is that it is far. Its a good 40 mins to Ocala, Gainesville, Cedar Key. This is the biggest down fall to Black Prong.

Grand Oaks has all of the above minus the miles and miles of trails. I am not sure of the living arrangements in all of the rent-able rooms but from what I remember in the few homes I have been in do have full kitchens. Grand Oaks is closer to "civilization" the Villages are just down the road (good food, evening entertainment, movie theater, super markets, drug stores).

So if trail driving in the woods is up your alley and you dont mind being a good 40 mins from town pick Black Prong.

But if you like being 5 mins from town pick Grand Oaks and trailer into Black Prong to play!

Steeplechase Farms is next to Blackprong and many of us here accomodate winter visitors. The driving in the 58,000 acre Gothe Forest is awesome. Grand Oaks is only 300 acres. Depends on your focus, I would think.

I like to hit a tavern or restaurant on short notice so close to the activities are nice. I don't need miles and miles of trails either. Grand oaks does not have pricing listed on the site and they haven't responded to my email requests. Hoping it is in the realm financially.

BlackProng has WILLARD'S!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 49'er View Post
    Steeplechase Farms is next to Blackprong and many of us here accomodate winter visitors. The driving in the 58,000 acre Gothe Forest is awesome. Grand Oaks is only 300 acres. Depends on your focus, I would think.
    I could not find a website for Steeple Chase farms just realtor listings? Do you have a link?

No link. We are just a horsey community...some drive, some endurance, and some just trail ride. We all have 5 acre plots or more. Wonderful place to retire to.

We have a vet from Iowa who has land here and winters here. She drives a pair of very nice mules. Dr. Arney (sp?)

We have a vet from Iowa who has land here and winters here. She drives a pair of very nice mules. Dr. Arney (sp?)
    I know of her and sent her an email. Thank you for the tip. I did some work today for someone that winters in The Villages and she thinks I could work while I am there also.

you could not PAY me to eat there

BlackProng has WILLARD'S!!!!!!!

Their hamburgers are very good.