The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fleece works pads

I have to wash my new Fleece Works pad and I am terrified to throw it in the washer even though it says you can. How do you all washer your fleece pads?

I wash mine in the washer by itself on quick cycle in cold and only add a capful Pepede leather wash. I run my hand back and forth over the sheepskin afterwards to fluff, then air dry on my porch over a chair.

Fleeceworks are my fav brand of skeepskin pads and they always wash fabulously.
    Last edited by shadowanne; May. 10, 2013 at 05:09 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I've been washing mine for years, but they WILL shrink so if yours is a little bit tight, forewarned is forearmed!

The first one I bought? Yeah, it doesn't fit anymore - the back of the saddle now sits on the roll - that would be OK if this horse wasn't the polar opposite of needing a riser pad behind! So the next one was the larger size. I can wash and even dry (low/air) it a bit w/o worrying it will shrink too much (because of course I want that one to shrink more... turns out a 17" Butet is kind of between their sizes)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I wash it in my front loader on cold with a wash made for fleece. Air dry, brush it out. I have washed my Fleece Works pads a number of times.

I've been washing my Fleecework pads in the washer for years. I use cold water and, wait for it...WOOLITE.

I hang them out to dry and then fluff up the fleece with a wire dog brush. I've abused the bejebeezies out of them and they all still look great.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

I wash Maine in my front load washer on delicate with Murphy's Oil soap.

So greatful to get to ride!

Thank you all so much! I feel so much better about washing it. I love it an didn't want to ruin it!!!

Also thank you for the warning on it shrinking! ts a touch big so I think it will be okk.

I just emailed the owner of Fleece Works, she will respond or email me with the full instructions for cleaning your pads. She is a very nice lady and will help with this soon.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Default NOOOOO

I put mine in the washer ONCE and it came out with patches of the fleece (wool?) missing from where the saddle sits in the back. Its useless now as all the padding that matters is gone! It I could do it all over again I would hand wash
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

I would never use a brush on it... why would it need to be brushed?

Hmm, interesting about the shrinkage. I just thought I bought my tight - but maybe I didn't.

I actually have two I just ordered (for schooling use) in with a roll in the back (current one doesn't have fleece roll on the back) and the Large had extra room on the sides of back panels, but Reg (med) was perfect on sides and only tiny bit of fleece under back. Like tiny. But I don't want it halfway under after washing. AHHHHHH! What to do!?! Too big will drive me crazy!

Maybe they will look better on the horse tonight. I only tried with saddle on stand at home today.

On the tag of my new Fleeceworks pad, it says
    "Leather may constrict slightly during the drying process. Simply stretch the item back into shape while damp."