The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Popular Foxhunting Sires?

Hello, I wanted to see if anyone knew of any stallions that have sired successful fox hunters.

Performing a search on this forum turned up a discussion from 2009 with IdleHour and Irish Sport horse suggestions, and I was just wondering if there were any recent additions anyone would make.

Thank you!

Are you looking for WB or anything in addition to Irish
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Penrhyn Bayswater, a championship Cleveland Bay (he's shown in hand, has lots of progeny to win on the line -- mine won as a foal at Upperville! and tonnnnnnsss to hunt.)
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I rode/showed a CB/TB mare by Ramblers REnown out of TB mare named Sneakers (with an eventing background) Her name was IdleHour Sandals.

She hunted with her owner in Maryland during the season and came to FL did jumpers with me during the off season. Great big mare lots of bone , good brain and very bold and forward.

Her dad said she was a blast to hunt with.

I'd recommend any of the Idlehour stallions if there are any still standing. I think last I checked Idlehour Night Flight(CBxTB cross) is still standing
    http://www.evanssporthorses.com/Flight.htm
    and possibly IdleHour Yorktown.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Love IdleHour Marilyn is great, I bought a foal form her who is eventing like a rock star.

1 members found this post helpful.

Magnific Sporthorses in Maryland stands Belladonna Quasar - a 3/4 Cleveland Bay and 1/4 TB son of Penrhyn Bayswater out of a CB/TB mare by Idlehours flagship stallion Ramblers Renown... His first foals are 2yos this year.

Cimarron, a Holsteiner stallion also produced a number of foxhunters as well as eventers in the western US. He is also standing with Magnific Sporthorses in Maryland and is available for AI.

Concerto Grosso, a Holsteiner stallion (approved Old-NA and AHHA) has sired several foxhunters. His babies have great minds and are nice movers and jumpers.

Also Lasting Impression (BWP approved Holsteiner) produced several quiet amateur friendly types that are doing well eventing and as all-rounders. He was sold to an amateur owner (actually was allowed into a college program with his testicles attached - so that gives you an idea of the stallion's personality) and although he's alive and well, he's not actively breeding. His former owner does have a stash of frozen semen though. I LOVE this stallions offspring in terms of having great attitudes .
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I am not particular to any breed, but prefer horses on the smaller side.

Ideally would have most if not all of the traits that I love about my mare - incredibly smart and sane, athletic, easy to ride, able to stay sound for foxhunting and low maintenance (great feet, easy keeper, easy to handle under any circumstance and keeps herself out of trouble). :-D

I will look these up - thank you again!

I'm not sure where you are located, but some people I know here in GA who breed for foxhunting have used Don Alfredo and Paparazzo on their OTTB mares.

Another lady who hunts and does dressage bred her imported Oldenburg mare to Sure Hit, and she is now using the resulting youngster for both disciplines. She likes him so much, she bred another mare to Sure Hit last year.

You might also want to consider a Connemara stallion, since you prefer something a bit smaller.

Default Foxhunters love Concerto Grosso

[QUOTE=JWB;6983502]Concerto Grosso, a Holsteiner stallion (approved Old-NA and AHHA) has sired several foxhunters. His babies have great minds and are nice movers and jumpers.

Thanks, JWB, for the great recommendation on Concerto Grosso.

We had a son we hunted an entire season. He went in the field, whipped-in and led the field. His offspring have really great minds, are easy to start, handle and are athletic without being snarky.

His semen ships well and most of his mares conceive on the first shipment if the receiving vet has his ducks in order.

You can visit his Facebook page for news and photos:
    https://www.facebook.com/?q=#/pages/...24947127575824