The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default need suggestions on how to keep horse out of the water trough

Last summer my then-2 yr old gelding learned how fun (not!) it is to stick a front leg in the water trough and splash around. I solved it by putting a row of cinder blocks down and then the trough on top-- it was then too high. About a month ago, when we had our first really warm day and the horses still hadn't shed out yet, Mr. Waterhorse realized he has now grown tall enough to play in the trough again. So added another layer of cinder blocks, and again this solved the problem.

Until I got home from work yesterday and discovered the water in the trough dirty and the trough itself scooted out of position. Any suggestions on how I can keep it horse leg-free? I'm sure the desire to play will increase as the temps go up, and not only do I not want to scrub and refill the trough daily, but the idea of wasting water really bothers me. TIA!
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Putting it higher again with maybe put a lid on it that is only big enough for a muzzle?

Put it on the other side of the fence with only enough of a corner accessible for a drink, maybe.

Put the cinderblocks IN the trough?
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

We have 3 "waterhorses". We've decided that they are getting their own paddock on our new farm with an automatic waterer, like this one. It just hooks up to a hose.

http://www.jefferspet.com/tough-guy-.../EQU/cp/16-T1/

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

1 members found this post helpful.

I was thinking automatic stall waterer, so there isn't a pool to splash in, but that's overkill.

Maybe a sacrificial water trough that you won't have to clean out as often. Leave the drinking one up high so that he plays in the junk one. (This assumes they choose to drink out of the clean water.)

I'd rather have my horse playing in the water and having fun. Can you fix him another, smaller trough that he can play in? He's young. Let him have fun.

2 members found this post helpful.

Had the same problem with a couple of my crew and hated the wasted water. Put my tank on a double layer of small wooden pallets next to side of barn, nearest the hydrant; nailed a 2x4 on the edge of the top pallet to keep the tank from sliding off; drove two t-posts into the ground between tank and side of barn and bungee corded the tank to the t-posts, so if a horse should happen to get a leg in, they aren't pulling the tank off the pallets and dumping it over...if the 2x4 doesn't do its job. Maybe, go up another pallet layer if two aren't tall enough?
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

Default Tank on cinder blocks and then put a big hay bale feeder around the tank

Raise the tank up by placing it on top of a layer of cinder blocks ~ or wooden pallets make an excellent platform ~ whatever is handy and safe ~

Good Luck ```` Higher will prevent this 'play"

OOPs just read your post ```` any chance you have a big hay bale holder ...? place the tank inside the circle and this should prevent that moving the tank off the cinder blocks.

With the big bale feeder circle... you can forget the wooden platform blocks if need be ~
    Last edited by Zu Zu; May. 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I worry about cinder blocks inside a paddock with horses -- I have seen pictures of horrific accidents - horses are able to get their hooves stuck inside the holes in the cinder blocks.

I don't have any suggestions as I have a pony swimmer, but I would never use cinder blocks.

Get him a kiddie swimming pool??
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I worry about cinder blocks too. Much too easy to get a foot stuck in them. I used a couple of 6x6 square posts and that solved my problem, but sounds like your guy is more determined. I guess I would suggest an auto waterer, and possibly leaving a pool for waterpony to play in... Good luck!

The two mares that are boarded at my place are awful about swimming in their trough. I ended up flipping their huge 100 or 150 gallon Rubbermaid tub upside down and placing a smaller Rubbermaid 50 gallon tank on top. That has worked well and keeps them out of it. I just happened to have the smaller tank laying around and it works for two horses- probably wouldn't be a viable solution if you had several in the pasture.

Duramax you just gave me a idea what to do with a Rubbermaid water trough with a hole in it. Not mine but some one I know had one thought what could that be used for now idea.

Digging a small "pond" about 6-8 inches deep around the front of the trough solved this for us. The horses paw and splash in the puddle then walk in to drink from the trough. Same way they do things in the wild.

We have a swimmer in the herd too. We raised it up higher on Deck Foundation Supports. Much more stable than cinder blocks and a bit higher. Then we got a 20-gallon round tub just for her. She can now swim to her heart's content and everyone can safely drink from the main tub
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."