The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    The one marked DECEASED is the horse that tested positive for romifidine. Same name, same owner. I can only assume that "Deceased" indicates that the horse is, in fact, deceased.
    Ohhhh that's a shame 8 year old horse, though it might not have anything to do w/ drug violation..

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Ohhhh that's a shame 8 year old horse, though it might not have anything to do w/ drug violation..
    I didn't imply that it did. I noticed , that's all..
    I was curious about the horse, his show record, and if he had been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    So, friend at home, should I be surprised, unsurprised or not care if a trainer I like/respect and doesn't drug did work for someone who did? I have run into this problem more than once. Sadly, these "clean" pros IME never got to the BNT status (and wealth) of their mentors.
    I would say unsurprised. It is very very easy for an aspiring trainer, groom, or any other variety of pro to end up in a nasty situation and not find out about it until the ink is dry on the contract (and s/he has moved all her horses, personal belongings, etc.).

I remember I got *shredded* on this forum by trainers a few years back when I suggested that during a job interview with a pro barn it's not the world's worst idea to seize any opportunity to explore the trainer's meds cabinet that may drift your way. Even that won't necessarily ensure ending up at a drug-free barn, but I stand by it and would do it again.

As far as your own trainer is concerned, just be sure it's not a situation where everything is nice and clean and hunky-dory until you get busy at work and turn your back for a week. Whenever I'm exploring a prospective trainer relationship, I pretty much tell the trainer right up front that they can EXPECT me to show up with a random vet to pull blood a couple times a year. If they have a problem with that, sayonara. My horse, my rules.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

3 members found this post helpful.

I suppose we should be grateful that the pedophile is suspended indefinitely...
    THAT pedophile, you mean. The others however are still roaming around as far as I'm aware.

So wait, this "B"NT had to TQ a horse to ride himself???!!! That in itself is lolworthy.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

7 members found this post helpful.

The trainers get fined if they are the one signing the form as having the horse in their care/custody it doesn't necessarily mean they rode /showed the horse. My trainer absolutely will not sign an entry blank for any horse that is not stabled/boarded with her.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    I would say unsurprised. It is very very easy for an aspiring trainer, groom, or any other variety of pro to end up in a nasty situation and not find out about it until the ink is dry on the contract (and s/he has moved all her horses, personal belongings, etc.).

I remember I got *shredded* on this forum by trainers a few years back when I suggested that during a job interview with a pro barn it's not the world's worst idea to seize any opportunity to explore the trainer's meds cabinet that may drift your way. Even that won't necessarily ensure ending up at a drug-free barn, but I stand by it and would do it again.

As far as your own trainer is concerned, just be sure it's not a situation where everything is nice and clean and hunky-dory until you get busy at work and turn your back for a week. Whenever I'm exploring a prospective trainer relationship, I pretty much tell the trainer right up front that they can EXPECT me to show up with a random vet to pull blood a couple times a year. If they have a problem with that, sayonara. My horse, my rules.
    I was thinking mainly about the assistant trainer or WS perspective, not that of a client.

I know so many good LNTs who learned a lot from BNTs who have been set down for D&M infractions a time or two.

I think these LNTs keep their own conscience about this stuff. They know, they come to their own conclusions and don't discuss what they see, except perhaps with a few trusted friends. It would be a hard part of their job. I'm sure *no one* gets into the horse training biz with a plan to drug as necessary.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The trainers get fined if they are the one signing the form as having the horse in their care/custody it doesn't necessarily mean they rode /showed the horse. My trainer absolutely will not sign an entry blank for any horse that is not stabled/boarded with her.
    This person was riding the horse wasn't he?

ETA Since the horse was owned by a pro barn and this person apparently sells horses, it would seem likely that he was riding. I can't find any records from the show so I don't know.
    I don't know any of these people, only what is available on their websites.
    Last edited by skydy; May. 10, 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    THAT pedophile, you mean. The others however are still roaming around as far as I'm aware
    No. I meant THE pedophile named on the USEF page.

Obviously there are many pedophiles out there...

This person was riding the horse wasn't he?

ETA Since the horse was owned by a pro barn and this person apparently sells horses, it would seem likely that he was riding. I can't find any records from the show so I don't know.
    I don't know any of these people, only what is available on their websites.
    It doesn't say who rode the horse/ just the trainer and owner.The horse Balik was listed as owned by Redfield Farm/E.Spadone and it was D. Raposa that got the fine and suspension so there could be a couple of scenarios - horse could have been at that barn to sell or leased to a client there. There's no use in speculating. Both the owner and the trainer are pro riders & trainers..

It doesn't say who rode the horse/ just the trainer and owner.The horse Balik was listed as owned by Redfield Farm/E.Spadone and it was D. Raposa that got the fine and suspension so there could be a couple of scenarios - horse could have been at that barn to sell or leased to a client there. There's no use in speculating. Both the owner and the trainer are pro riders & trainers..
    Yes, I understand. I did read the entire content of the link that I posted here. "There's no use in speculating" . So, since no one is willing to spell it out for us, we'll just let it slide..
    Last edited by skydy; May. 11, 2013 at 03:56 AM.

Walt Bogdanich ,The New York Times,Walt Bogdanich, The United States Equestrian Federation, The United States Hunter Jumper Association and the United States Olympic Committee Turning a Blind Eye on Drugging at USEF Sanctioned Shows

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walt-B...eratio-1049949
    Elizabeth Mandarino
    www.amberhillponies.com
    cell 908.397.0977

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    the judges who are pinning horses under the influence of tranquilizers.
    Oh for Pete's sake! You do realize, despite all the insisting by BB commandos, that there is no way to tell by looking if a a horse is sedated or not? With all the complaining about subjectiveness in judging, you want them to guess about this, too??
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

5 members found this post helpful.

Anthony 'Tony' Soprano Sr.: If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    You know, I wonder if everyone stops calling attention to her bizarre behavior, if maybe she'll go away...

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post

OMG, cant we stay on this particular topic without derailing it into yet another train wreck with this woman?

On the topic, not surprised it's business as usual. We need serious rule changes but those need to be proposed by well known persons with some standing or they just get swept away as anything inconvenient that most of the "little "people" come up with.

Of course those well known persons would suffer an unfortunate backlash for upsetting the proverbial apple cart from those insiders who want to continue manipulating the system to keep the status quo as it always has been to serve their needs.

Bottom line is the welfare of the horse is the absolute last thing that seems to have any importance at all and we don't seem to be able to do anything about it. Horses are just collateral damage in the war to win.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Findeight:
    This is absolutely right on point and directly on topic. Her missive is about, and fueled by, this thread. Why shouldn't she be given an opportunity to speak her mind as you are doing here. I am just uncertain why she doesn't come to chronicle and post her comments. I understand people don't like her but the points she makes are clear. I would just like to ask her to admit that she is part of the problem given she witnessed and knows of all these examples and made no effort to alert the appropriate stewards at shows, USEF, the police. You mean she couldn't call the local police when the pony is being drained of blood?
    Anthony 'Tony' Soprano Sr.: If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them

findeight ... what would pass for "some standing" on this ? That's a serious question.

I am known for my outspoken nature... i have had continuing conversations with high ranking members of the USEF about the events I have witnessed and none of them are truly willing to stand up for these beautiful creatures. They are more concerned with remaining in good favor with the Trifecta.
    Elizabeth Mandarino
    www.amberhillponies.com
    cell 908.397.0977

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    findeight ... what would pass for "some standing" on this ? That's a serious question.
    Well known trainers, standing committee members, respected judges, those with easily recognizable names in the business for a long time. Not anybody who could be labled a "wannabe, newbie" or "outsider" or sit and listen to the "you just don't understand the way things are run" BS.

But they don't want to risk their careers to the backlash so turn a blind eye and deaf ear. Can't blame them, some of those people scare me when seen in the early AM or late evenings...ask the braiders.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Some data guru should compile the USEF's record of light punishments for D&M infractions. A short, conveniently-timed "vacation," plus ways to have someone else sign as "trainer," and a fine of just $2K looks like not enough to me. It seems, rather, that input from trainers on D&M punishments has made these just an inconvenience and not a real deterrent. But the USEF needs to know that the general membership sees what's happening and doesn't dig it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.