The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default USEF Hasn't Changed...

http://www.usef.org/documents/rules/...rilRulings.pdf

2 months suspension for a drug violation.. You betcha! That'll teach 'em not to dope the horse!

1 members found this post helpful.

Its really shameful. The slaps on the wrists, the judges who are pinning horses under the influence of tranquilizers.

And most of all, the outright lack of morals these cheaters have.

Drugging and abusing generous horses, for ribbons and profits.

4 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

There were three drug violations. One was a two month suspension; one was a one month suspension, and one (an Arabian trainer) was CENSURED and fined $750.

No, the USEF hasn't changed.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Did you notice that the same suspension period and actually a higher fine was levied for non-payment to horse shows? Priorities priorities! And actually a lesser penalty for the 2nd drug infraction in the list.

6 members found this post helpful.

I suppose we should be grateful that the pedophile is suspended indefinitely..

I was just hoping that after all the talk from USEF about getting the house in order, horse-drugging wise, that we would see some stiffer penalties.

3 members found this post helpful.

Now, now.... The USEF hasn't had its many (now one) effing Town Hall Meeting yet about all this. By all (public) appearances, the USEF does not yet know that its membership wants anything different.

Wait until the Town Hall Meeting on June 3rd.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Unless there was some evidence that it was given by a licensed vet and they just f'd up the withdrawal period (and if it had been, usually it would be noted in the Notice of Penalty), this is utterly unacceptable as a penalty for showing a horse under a sedative particularly noted for its ability to calm with a lack of ataxic effects.

Two months? If we really have a finding that the horse was drugged, they need more than a vacation and a penalty that's the size of one missed entry fee.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Oh, yes mvp! I'm confident that will change things.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I suppose we should be grateful that the pedophile is suspended indefinitely.
    Well, at least until 90 days after he gets out of jail!
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Unless there was some evidence that it was given by a licensed vet and they just f'd up the withdrawal period (and if it had been, usually it would be noted in the Notice of Penalty), this is utterly unacceptable as a penalty for showing a horse under a sedative particularly noted for its ability to calm with a lack of ataxic effects.

Two months? If we really have a finding that the horse was drugged, they need more than a vacation and a penalty that's the size of one missed entry fee.
    Even if they did screw up the withdrawal period, 2 months? They showed a tranquilized horse. The FEI would set them down for 2 years ,as it should.

This is apparently a "professional" horse person. Making an amateur mistake is no defense.

Also, what's romifidine?

I have a good pro friend who worked for one of the pros set down for years. Apparently, his employees rarely lasted that long. She didn't tell me the nature of the difficulty working for that pro. They are still on good terms. I'll ask her what she thinks....

So, friend at home, should I be surprised, unsurprised or not care if a trainer I like/respect and doesn't drug did work for someone who did? I have run into this problem more than once. Sadly, these "clean" pros IME never got to the BNT status (and wealth) of their mentors.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

It's a tranquilizer/sedative.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Also, what's romifidine?
    Google is your friend. Brand name Sedivet.

http://equimed.com/drugs-and-medicat...nce/romifidine

Romifidine is a newer tranquilizer or sedative that has been available in Europe for some time, but has been marketed in the U.S. only recently. Romifidine is from the same chemical family as xylazine and detomidine. Romifidine is effective for longer periods, and horses appear less ataxic or wobbly when this drug is used, in comparison to horses given xylazine or detomidine. When combined with butorphanol, it is effectively used in pain management.
    Note also, when thinking of someone using this in a performance horse for performance:

- Romifidine reduces the horse's body's ability to regulate temperature.
    - Romifidine causes a decrease in gastrointestinal motility and mild colic has been observed after use.
    - The duration of analgesia is shorter than the duration of sedation.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

aka "Sedivet" - known for being perfect for bringing a horse back on rehab since it does a great job of taking the edge off while letting them have very good awareness of their feet. So unlike ace they don't buck you off into high heavens and then trip and fall on your dazed body lying beneath them. With sedivet they could buck you off, they just don't want to. Kind of the perfect cheater drug if you think about it. Which makes the lack of penalty that much more glaring even if you want to give the USEF a bye for not having completed their town hall meetings/self assessment period (which is reasonable)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Thanks from a googling slacker.

It sounds like a nice drug.... especially for showing.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

It seems that the horse is no longer with us? http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/Searche...ngResults.aspx

On a more pleasant note (and the reason I was at the USEF site) the Old Salem Farm Grand Prix is on USEF network tomorrow.

They also have the Del Mar Grand Prix up on demand.

David Raposa and two others were fined $2,000 each in addition to their suspensions. The bad checks one would think might be large because of the amount and number of shows they wrote checks to? There was one BNT who was set down but apparently his suspension didn't start until after some of the big shows - I think maybe Harrisburg and Washington?

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    It seems that the horse is no longer with us? http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/Searche...ngResults.aspx

On a more pleasant note (and the reason I was at the USEF site) the Old Salem Farm Grand Prix is on USEF network tomorrow.

They also have the Del Mar Grand Prix up on demand.
    Which Horse?

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Which Horse?
    The one marked DECEASED is the horse that tested positive for romifidine. Same name, same owner. I can only assume that "Deceased" indicates that the horse is, in fact, deceased.