The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default KWPN keuring for older mares

I apologize if this is a silly question, but am relatively new to the breeding world and have never attended any type of studbook inspection. I have a 12 year old KWPN mare whose competitive career is on hold for now (she is perfectly sound, but I personally do not have time for regular training/showing right now), and I am breeding her this spring for the first time.

I would like to take her to a keuring this summer if possible. It doesn't seem like there are age limits for studbook inspection for the KWPN-NA, but my question is if it is uncommon (or even frowned upon) for someone to present an older mare? What about one that is in foal?

Quote Originally Posted by showjumper90 View Post
    I apologize if this is a silly question, but am relatively new to the breeding world and have never attended any type of studbook inspection. I have a 12 year old KWPN mare whose competitive career is on hold for now (she is perfectly sound, but I personally do not have time for regular training/showing right now), and I am breeding her this spring for the first time.

I would like to take her to a keuring this summer if possible. It doesn't seem like there are age limits for studbook inspection for the KWPN-NA, but my question is if it is uncommon (or even frowned upon) for someone to present an older mare? What about one that is in foal?
    The Hanoverian inspection I attended had a KWPN mare there that was older (FEI-level competitor if I remember right) and she was the high scoring mare. I brought a 13 or 14 year old (I forget) Selle Francais mare to an RPSI inspection, and I felt she was scored fairly for the age/condition she was (broodmare). I imagine this is the same for KWPN, but hopefully someone more familiar with their inspections will chime in.

I don't know why it would be a negative if she was in-foal from an inspection standpoint (just the risk with the foal).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I don't think its frowned upon.
    If the mare is sound enough to be presented, and in good condition, I'd say to go for it. (I am planning to present a 13 yr old mare that I hope will be in foal this year) Better to do it when the mare is sound vs. unsound!
    Be aware that if she's going in the Jumper direction she will need to free jump to earn the star predicate. Dressage mares do not have to jump. She could also do the IBOP if she's rideable.
    Being in foal should not be a problem either.

The Keuring schedule has been posted recently,
    http://kwpn-na.org/keuring/tour.php

Thank you for your responses! It definitely makes me feel better about it!