The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is my dog hungry or just a puppy??? Why does she want to taste everything??

I have had a few dogs over the years, but none with "eating" habits like my aussie. She will be 1 yrs old this month so she's still in a puppy phase, but this little aussie LOVES to chew up her toys and eat them. I mean EAT them! She ate a baseball (the cover) a few weeks ago, and likes to chew up horse sized jolly balls until they are more of a bowl shape. She ONLY chews her toys, never shoes or furniture.

She doesn't eat much of her dog food anymore (Purina One Lamb and Rice), and I wonder if it's because she has a belly full of plastic/baseballs/horse grain/horse poop or whatever else she finds at the barn to eat.

Question: Should I switch dog foods and see if maybe she is hungry, so she'll stop eating horse grain/poop? Again, she's an aussie (so they have naturally sensitive/allergic skin, so I don't switch foods if I don't have to).

(edited to add: I have had border collies and high energy dogs in the past, she's NOT bored or under-excercised. She goes to the barn and plays hard for a few hours everyday, and she also runs with me about 3 miles or so).

First of all, Purina One is not a great dog food. Go to http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ and choose a dog food that is 4* or 5*.

Secondly, take all the crap she's eating away...unless you are prepared, emotionally and financially to pay for obstruction surgery.

Kongs can't be chewed and eaten...at least not by my champion chewer lab. No tennis balls.

How a Tennis Ball Could Cost You Hundreds, If Not Thousands of Dollars
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

How is her weight doing? How much is "not much food"? Did she suddenly stop eating or just seems to be eating less?

PurinaOne is a good food. Don't worry about it from that angle. Look at any scientific dog food study and you won't find anything saying otherwise. If your dog isn't thriving, then sure, try some other ones. But your OP is too vague to say that.

She doesn't sound hungry - she sounds bored. As crazy as this sounds, you have to teach her how to play. I'm not great at describing it, but you need to reward her for playing appropriately instead of consuming the toys. Definitely be really careful of her swallowing the toys - foreign body removal is $$$!

The review for Purina One. I rest my case.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...-dog-food-dry/

2 members found this post helpful.

Right off the bat, I'm raising an eyebrow and wondering the time frame of her stopping her eating, given all the extra things she consumed.... Are you sure you're not dealing with an obstruction now? Like are we drinking and pooping normally?

Clearly you're well aware you've got a super smart dog on your hands with an Aussie, and I agree with the other poster that said she's bored. Just because the others in the past haven't been that way, doesn't mean this dog isn't - they're all different.

You might want to invest in some heavy duty chewers, like antlers and bully sticks (both WAY better than rawhide).

Also, look into getting puzzle toys - for an Aussie brain, those will be great. Something like this http://www.petsupplies.com/item/seek...FdSMMgodsgMAFA

Also, research food a bit more. Like, check out breed boards that have knowledgeable people involved.

Whoa – you do NOT want your dog eating inedible objects! Talk about vet bills!

Mine likes to try to eat his toys at as well – that is why as soon as one shows signs that it is coming apart, it gets taken away. And I hunt for toys he cannot destroy (kongs and big beef (shin) bones are working well).

I would be watching the dog VERY closely for signs of digestive upset (vomiting, bloated belly, objects in feces, lack of apatite which you have reported). I would also consider taking the dog to a vet for an x-ray. It is VERY plausible that the dog has a quantity of undigested foreign objects, which can easily lead to death from obstructions or perforations of the intestines.

I also disagree that Purina One is a good food. Compare the review above (and the ingredients! Brewer’s rice? That is the left overs from making cheap beer) – with a quality brand like Taste of the Wild (which I have fed for years with great success).

Taste of the Wild is also sold under the name “Nature’s Domain” at Costco, at a reduced cost.

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree that the Purina One isn't a very good food, so your dog is probably hungry! I would switch to a higher quality food (I buy Fromm from chewy.com - free delivery over $49). I also added defrosted frozen cooked green beans to my pup's food when he was going through a hungry phase... you can just defrost the beans in hot tap water when you prepare their meal. Also, most horse owners already feed raw carrots, but if you do not all ready, my dogs think they are the best thing ever... big carrots satisfy their desire to chew and fill them up

As for indestructible toys, the Starmark Fantastic DuraFoam Ball is the most durable toy I have ever seen... my dog Colt is a 98 lb Dutch Shepherd who can destroy anything except this ball. The ball was even run over by a riding lawn mower by accident and was 100% fine! Every one of the balls we have purchased has been lost (they float reallllly well), none have been destroyed.
    http://starmarkacademy.com/products/...durafoam-ball/
    Do not get the frisbee, it is very easily destroyed (but flies really really well!).
    Last edited by Coltinator; May. 10, 2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: correct product name

Thanks y'all for some great suggestions!! Obviously when she starts destroying a toy, I take it away from her. She chews on toys AND she throws them up in the air to play. She does it all. There is no current obstruction, she is just fine. I think I might try switching her food. Her weight and health are fine, but it might make her less apt to eat barn goodies.

For the food suggestions, I would be willing to switch but NOT to an expensive brand. I love my dogs to death, dont get me wrong..but at some point you need to know where you can cut corners. I've had dogs live happy and healthy on grocery store brands, and I'm fine with going to a better quality food as long as it's not breaking the bank. Are these foods that have been recommended good for sensitive allergy skin?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    The review for Purina One. I rest my case.

I feed the lamb and rice version. I've been told that's a better protein than chicken for dogs with sensitive skin, if that makes a difference to your argument or not! I couldnt find the lamb version on this review site

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Kongs can't be chewed and eaten...at least not by my champion chewer lab. No tennis balls.
    Clearly you've never owned an ACD. It takes a little longer but I've got one who can destroy even a black Kong (the toughest ones). I second the "no tennis balls". Besides being easy to destroy they have an abrasive coating that can wear teeth down.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by jsydney5 View Post
    I feed the lamb and rice version. I've been told that's a better protein than chicken for dogs with sensitive skin, if that makes a difference to your argument or not! I couldnt find the lamb version on this review site
    It used to be true that lamb and rice was better for a dog with allergy issues when it was still a novel protein and carb...alas they are no longer novel.

And Purina one has corn gluten which is a potential allergen. I would try a grain free, at least a wheat, corn and soy free food.

4Health from Tractor Supply is a pretty decent food with a good price point. I would give that a try. I feed 2 dogs the fish and potato, the other turkey and potato.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks!! I'm headed to a horse show this weekend so i'll stop by TSC on my way and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Abberlaze View Post

PurinaOne is a good food. Don't worry about it from that angle. Look at any scientific dog food study and you won't find anything saying otherwise.
    What studies say it's a good food Abberlaze? Other than those funded by Purina, that is.

DogFoodAnalysis rates it a one star (out of six stars for the highest quality) food, and does not recommend it. As Laura posted earlier, Dogfood Advisor agrees that this is a poor quality product.

That's the Lamb and Rice version JSydney, so no, the flavor makes no real difference.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ct=259&cat=all
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Barrel Racers, & Dressage

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Quote Originally Posted by jsydney5 View Post
    For the food suggestions, I would be willing to switch but NOT to an expensive brand.
    I have to say, I am total penny pincher, and you might want to do the math…

For my dog (and my family’s dogs) switching to higher quality food didn’t cost more in the end, because the dogs eat much less of it.

The higher quality food has more protein per cup, so you need to feed less. And the ingredients are better digested, so again, you feed less – and the dogs poop less!

Cheap foods are made up of lots of “fillers” which pass through the animal quickly, and do not provide good nutrition.

Back before I knew better, I used to feed my cats Purina – they gobbled the food up, and screamed for more! Acted famished, yet were getting “fat”.

Since switching to grain free, high quality food, they eat much less (half of what they were getting before!), no longer act “hungry” (will leave kibble in the bowl) and are maintaining a good weight.

In my house, we call Purina, and other grain / corn based food “captain crunch” – because much like the cereal, its full of carbs, will not keep you sated, and provides lots of “junk” calories – and few of what you really need.

Do you have Costco in your area? Nature’s Domain is not very expensive.

I agree that higher quality foods do not cost more in the long run. As an example, I feed Fromm Gold Large Breed, a 33 lb bag last my 98 lb Shepherd (~4.5 cups/day) and by fiancée's 65 lb mutt (~2 cups/day) around 3.5 weeks.... at $48.99 per bag, I think that is a very good deal. For your dog (guessing ~60 lbs and high energy), 3-3.5 cups a day should easily last you a month, probably more, ~$1.63 per day is pretty reasonable I think.

Quote Originally Posted by WoofNWhinny* View Post
    What studies say it's a good food Abberlaze? Other than those funded by Purina, that is.

DogFoodAnalysis rates it a one star (out of six stars for the highest quality) food, and does not recommend it. As Laura posted earlier, Dogfood Advisor agrees that this is a poor quality product.

That's the Lamb and Rice version JSydney, so no, the flavor makes no real difference.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ct=259&cat=all
    Maybe I'll save you the googling when finals are over. But the "dog food analysis" website is not a peer-reviewed scientific food trial. Dogs eat nutrients, not ingredients.

And corn is unlikely to be the allergen - meat is much more likely to be the cause.