The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Amish Hackney Pony Gelding (NE Indiana)

Barbara (Barbie) the Amish pony needs a new home.

Barbie is 7ish and around 13-13.1h (eyeballed) Hackney gelding with 4 white legs. He is broke to drive and has had kids on him, but not per se broke to ride. He has good ground manners.

The hole: He kicks at dogs when he's hooked. He's fine with them on the ground in the barn, but does not like them at his heels when he's working. He doesn't completely flip out, just kicks, nothing that an experienced driver can't handle.

Barbie is Amish broke and road safe (except the dog thing); however, because he kicks occaisonally, his owner is not comfortable selling him as a lady's or kid's road pony. He is not in a position to keep an extra driving pony around and Barbie has to go. He is willing to give him away before taking him to Shipshewana.
    Last edited by red mares; May. 11, 2013 at 09:30 AM.

I'm in Indiana and I can share his info on my FB page. Can you send me more info and pictures?

I'm interested in more info and any photos - any idea if he is used for "pleasure" driving or if he does the Hackney breed thing (the set tail, etc.)? He only kicks at dogs while hitched? Or does he kick in general while hitched?

Looking for a pair to match a 12.2h hackney with 3 stockings - would be good if he was on the smaller side of 13h.