The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How does this keep happening? 60 dead horses.

It's in WI the land of, we don't do anything until it's too late when it comes to animal abuse.

Don't quite get it. The article is pretty scanty on facts. Looks like most of these horses were burried and ? was was this some kind of business disposing of (horse) bodies. Five found dead in the barn last month. But 60 + horses are hard to hide on a farm. Especially malnurshied ones. So have they been getting and burying horses over a long time? How come nobody noticed live horses just dissappearing? Sounds like there were neighbors to see the goings on at the farm.

The link didn't work for me. What happened and where?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Guess I should add to my above post that the guy in Cleveland, OH that held captive three women for 10 years had plenty of neighbors that didn't see anything amiss either----so why should I expect horse neighbors to "see" anything amiss?

60 dead horses found in Pleasant Prairie WI. 5 were found dead in their stalls last month. Now they've dug around the farm and found 50+ buried. They had complaints in the past. Not enough evidence to investigate. They are testing now to find the cause of the deaths.

Apparently the woman is bi-polar or some mental defect. Their mug shots explain a lot.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    It's in WI the land of, we don't do anything until it's too late when it comes to animal abuse.
    I don't know what happened to the 60 or so that were buried but obviously way too late for the dead ones in the barn. No reason is ever able to explain that.

I bought a horse in January from a "rescue" that was in tough shape. Lately I've heard that the person I got him from lost several this winter. Law enforcement knows about it but yet nothing is done. She also has "rescue" dogs in her house. I wonder how they are doing.

I posted all the links to the 3 stories about the case here for those who have questions....
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-possibly-more
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by DressageFancy View Post
    Don't quite get it. The article is pretty scanty on facts. Looks like most of these horses were burried and ? was was this some kind of business disposing of (horse) bodies. Five found dead in the barn last month. But 60 + horses are hard to hide on a farm. Especially malnurshied ones. So have they been getting and burying horses over a long time? How come nobody noticed live horses just dissappearing? Sounds like there were neighbors to see the goings on at the farm.
    It was/had been a boarding barn and lesson barn. They weren't disposing of the horses as a business, and the suspicion is that this happened over the course of many years.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

2 members found this post helpful.

What I don't understand is when there is more than one person involved...why does the second or more person/people go along with the situation? One person being mentally ill is really unfortunate...several people involved...now that's really criminal.

I remember when a neighbor threw out a deer head in his back yard...a hunter who believed there was nothing wrong with it. It stunk awfully bad... hard to imagine all those dead horses not creating a stench. Sadly many of these cases ARE reported and 'not enough evidence' is the reason no search is done!!

And they think the Ag Gag bill is a good idea?? Criminals get way too much 'protection of their rights' IMO. IMO any business or person who receives any public benefit...even Ag Exemption, should be subject to inspection.

In the case of the Cleveland kidnapping case...I feel so sorry for the daughter of the perp...it was her FRIEND and her FATHER...she said she knew nothing?? But there is another story that says another daughter ( her sister? maybe another mother?) is in jail for trying to kill her then 11 mos daughter and herself...now tell me that doesn't scream signs of abuse by the father...and daughter's desperate attempt to 'escape' the torture.
    SICK BASTARDS...the 3

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    What I don't understand is when there is more than one person involved...why does the second or more person/people go along with the situation? One person being mentally ill is really unfortunate...several people involved...now that's really criminal.

I remember when a neighbor threw out a deer head in his back yard...a hunter who believed there was nothing wrong with it. It stunk awfully bad... hard to imagine all those dead horses not creating a stench. Sadly many of these cases ARE reported and 'not enough evidence' is the reason no search is done!!

And they think the Ag Gag bill is a good idea?? Criminals get way too much 'protection of their rights' IMO. IMO any business or person who receives any public benefit...even Ag Exemption, should be subject to inspection.

In the case of the Cleveland kidnapping case...I feel so sorry for the daughter of the perp...it was her FRIEND and her FATHER...she said she knew nothing?? But there is another story that says another daughter ( her sister? maybe another mother?) is in jail for trying to kill her then 11 mos daughter and herself...now tell me that doesn't scream signs of abuse by the father...and daughter's desperate attempt to 'escape' the torture.
    SICK BASTARDS...the 3
    Another one that doesn't understand the misnamed ag gag law.

That law is about DEMANDING people report abuse asap, not about "helping the criminals".

It is about stopping abuse when it happens, intending to stop the criminals that see the abuse if not incite it, take pictures and videos and then hold onto them until it fits their agendas, as animal rights groups have been known to do.

Just as with the fellow that kept the three women as slaves for ten years, some times the neighbors don't know anything.

Now, if this was a riding school, you think someone would have noticed there were way too thin horses there regularly?

Just with the child protection laws, the badly misnamed "ag gag" law demands people notify authorities if they suspect any abuse.

It is a new law and has to be tweaked to be sure it does what it intends and no more or less, but it is one more way about trying to stop abuses when they happen and the further abuse of not reporting abuses for some agendas.

Darn that Constitution...it just keeps getting in the way.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Legislation that would require anyone recording images of animal abuse to submit unedited footage or photos to law enforcement within 48 hours is "constitutionally suspect," according to an state attorney general's opinion Thursday.

A number of groups and celebrities have spoken out against the proposal. The Humane Society of the United States and others say the bill would have a chilling effect on whistleblowers and prevent undercover operations from establishing an ongoing pattern of abuse.

Attorney General Robert Cooper said the bill is questionable on three grounds. They are:

— the scope of the measure's requirements doesn't include enough interest in preventing cruelty to livestock;

— requirements to provide recordings of livestock cruelty to law enforcement could be an impermissible prior restraint;

— and its reporting requirement could "constitute an unconstitutional burden on news gathering."

In addition, he said the measure — dubbed the "ag gag" bill — could violate an individual's Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Cooper noted that requiring that a criminal offense be reported is present in some areas of Tennessee law. For instance, he said abuse of an adult or child must be reported.

However, he said the animal legislation differs in several aspects from the mandatory child or adult abuse reports.

For example, he said the measure "provides neither confidentiality nor immunity to the person reporting livestock cruelty."

The Humane Society in 2011 secretly filmed video inside a training stable showing caustic substances being applied to Tennessee walking horses' legs and hooves, and the animals being beaten to make them stand. Trainer Jackie McConnell pleaded guilty in federal court in September.

Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO the Humane Society, said in a statement Thursday after the attorney general opinions that Gov. Bill Haslam now has even more reason to veto the proposal. The bill is on Haslam's desk and he said earlier this week that he was waiting on the attorney general's opinion before making a decision on whether to veto it or let it become law.

"Any bill that tries to punish those who expose cruelty, rather than those who perpetrate it, is wrong-headed and reckless," Pacelle said. "Now we know it's constitutionally deficient, too. Governor Haslam has a superabundance of legal and citizen input that should prompt him to veto this overreaching, awful measure."

After the press conference in Clarksville this week, Haslam told reporters that his decision would be affected by the bill's constitutionality.

"At the end of the day, it should be about is the bill constitutional," he said. "Does it encourage the healthy treatment of animals, and is it good public policy that's well-written for the state. That's what we're going to make our decision based on."

Also this week, the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee delivered to the governor a petition containing more than 33,000 signatures of people against the measure.

ACLU executive director Hedy Weinberg said the measure "unconstitutionally chills the free speech of citizens and journalists seeking to expose animal cruelty."

"Across the country people are watching Tennessee in the hopes that Governor Haslam stands up for the First Amendment rights of citizens and journalists to document animal abuse without fear of criminalization," Weinberg said. "If the governor vetoes Tennessee's unconstitutional 'Ag Gag' legislation, it could impact other states nationwide considering similar measures."

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, 13 bills addressing recordings of agricultural operations have been proposed this year in 10 states. Last year, Missouri passed legislation similar to the one before Haslam.
    http://www.necn.com/05/09/13/AG-Tenn...5a450ce1661d6c
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Lets say they were there for 15 years as a "school". And, maybe they purchased much older schooling horses..When they were too old, ill etc they shot them in the head, or had a vet euthanize them..and then they buried them....that might be 4 horses per year over the 15 years.

I am excluding the ones in the stalls..as they obviously "were not buried"

There is no proof they were abused nor neglected (the ones buried) ...

Isn't this what so many want...bury them on "your" property..so if they did smell...would be tough luck for those who were down wind.

Problem is people. They do not want anything to die. Period. Mom, Dad, Granny...keep them on life support. Kids born with horrible deformaties..keep them alive and on life support.

No one should be surprised when they want animals to live forever.

Just read the forums. Now..anyone taking a horse to an auction IS A KILLER.

Anyone selling their horse and not keeping track of it for its whole life IS A KILLER

I remember a raid on a Dachie breeder. There were around 35 dead dogs in boxes and bags in the barn. Big hoopla...bit time press...turns out they had been euthanized..all were in the 15-20 year old range..and she took them home waiting until spring when she could get someone to backhoe and bury them..

It took four months.

Good thing there was no internet then. They would have destroyed her with rumour, inuendo and jumping to conclusions in their quest to find SOMEONE guilty of something because there were dead dogs.

Lets say that is not the case here.

"On April 9, 2013, the Pleasant Prairie Police Department executed a search warrant in response to an anonymous tip at a farm located at 1808 128th Avenue in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin," the Pleasant Prairie Police Department said. "Five dead horses were discovered in stalls during a search of a barn, and partially buried horse remains were also found on the property. Local authorities removed numerous live horses, which are currently sheltered with local rescue groups who are providing daily care for the animals."

Tests showed starvation was a factor in the deaths. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) found the grave sites and is helping with the exams of the dead animals.

"The house on the property was deemed to be uninhabitable by the Kenosha County Health Department, and an abatement order was issued for the reclamation of property," said police.

Several other animals were removed from the property including various types of fowl, sheep, goats and a bull. The animals are now being cared for and sheltered by local rescue groups.

Police ask anyone with information on this situation to contact the Pleasant Prairie Police Department at 262.694.7353 or Kenosha Area Crime Stoppers at 262.656.7333.
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/206659021.html

Law enforcement officials in Kenosha County found several dead horses and almost two dozen malnourished and neglected horses at a Pleasant Prairie horse farm.

Twenty-four horses were removed from the home in dire conditions. Police said they received a tip about a possible case of animal mistreatment at the home and responded with a search warrant to help get the animals out of there.

“For horses, this is probably the worst case, well, yeah, this is probably one of the worst cases I’ve seen personally,” said Robert Melby, owner of Clawz and Pawz -- a local animal control officer who was contracted by Kenosha County.

Melby was called in Tuesday to help remove the horses.

“It was just gloomy, gloom, gloom,” Melby said. “Even the horses, there was just no spirit in them, their heads lowered.”

When WISN 12 News visited the home, two people came out of the house and told reporters to leave.

The horses have been relocated to Stonehedge Farm, a large equestrian facility in Union Grove where Melby rents out stalls to care for the animals he helps rescue. He said the horses were already looking much better.

“It’s amazing what fresh water, good food (and) fresh air will do, and clean stalls,” he said.

Authorities said the investigation was ongoing. Melby said he would like to get all the horses adopted or to other good horse farms where they would be treated well.
    Read more: http://www.wisn.com/news/south-east-...#ixzz2Svv9aDN6

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Lets say that is not the case here.
    I would say so, one dead horse in a stall, you can say he just died.
    FOUR? Not likely, someone is not taking care of things at least, more sinister going on probably.

And another report:

MILWAUKEE -- Authorities seized dozens of horses, and found several more horses were found dead in their stalls at a farm in Pleasant Prairie.
    24 horses were removed from Hidden Lake stables in Pleasant Prairie, five more were found dead in their stalls. The horses that were removed are being cared for at Stonehedge Farm in Union Grove.
    One woman tells CBS 58 several horses were emaciated, others had halters on that were too small, tight and embedded. There was she thought was a bigger horse, but the horse was just standing on a few feet of manure.
    Law enforcement was alerted after someone called in a complaint about Hidden Lake stables. Police continue their investigation as they wait on results from tests conducted by veterinarians.
    http://www.cbs58.com/news/local-news...202421071.html

I would like to here interject that this location is within easy reach of the Canadian border. The existence of the slaughter industry, which several of you tout as the answer to all ills of abuse, neglect, and ignorance, obviously once again did not prevent an inexcusable situation from going on for years.

After all, they could have just loaded them up and gotten a big fat check . . .

9 members found this post helpful.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"