The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Three County Fairgrounds, Northampton, MA- anyone shown there?

Has anyone shown at Three County Fairgrounds in Northampton, MA? What did you think of the facility? What was the footing like? Etc? Thanks!

I have shown there several times, they've done a lot of work on the facility in the past few years. In my opinion, the footing is pretty good at this point and they've created better areas for warming up. All of the stabling (if you're staying over night) is permanent, and the new barns are really nice. The old barns are pretty good for horse show stabling, in my opinion. The indoor is nice although not fancy looking, and for whatever reason seems to be pretty inviting for most horses. I would say it is not a fancy or particularly scenic facility, more functional. If you are planning on staying over, there are nice restaurants in Northampton itself as well as nearby in Amherst and Hadley (maybe it is South Hadley). Of course I can't remember the names of any, but I know I liked them .

Ditto M. Owen on all counts. The indoor is tight-ish, and (unless they've changed it up) used for several of the 2'6" baby divisions, but my greenies always clocked right around despite my 'zomg, stadium seating and traffic' concerns.

And (if you're good with non-fancy food) my fave is: http://www.buenoysano.com
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

mmm Bueno (I live near the 3 county fairgrounds).

They've made a lot of improvements and one of the nice things about this show for those coming from afar is permanent stabling AND easy availability of hotels from top of the line to cheap, since there are 5 colleges nearby there is a lot of visitor traffic here.

Showed there last year in the pony ring. Despite the rain/mud/slosh, the footing was not slippery. Ditto above on stabling.

Thanks everyone! Good to know!

do they still have a race track?

stabling is great, indoor is very big with reasonable footing, but outdoor footing is stonedust - it can turn into concrete quickly if it is dry

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyponies View Post
    stabling is great, indoor is very big with reasonable footing, but outdoor footing is stonedust - it can turn into concrete quickly if it is dry
    Do they have water trucks or anything for when it's too dry?

I know many years ago they had water trucks at some of the shows. I never really payed much attention, though. I used to live 20 min from 3 county fair grounds, have shown there, and have been there more times than I can count. They have great stabling, the indoor isn't bad, and some decent outdoor rings as well. From what I understand, they've made some improvements but I haven't personally seen them as I moved out of MA 2 years ago and haven't looked at the fairgrounds when I have visited. I think you'll like that facility.

Lots of hotels around and GREAT food plus some shopping in Northampton.

Most of the race track is gone. There are parts of it here and there....This is probably the only downfall of the recent improvements. I really enjoyed taking a spin around it as a nice warm up.....

Agree with all of the above - stayed there last year for MHC Finals and really enjoyed it (despite the pouring rain).

Every horse I have ever taken there has loved the indoor and the new barns and rings are really nice.

What was the jumper ring over 5 years ago is now a very large schooling area and the footing is good. The new jumper ring is in front of the old grand stand from the track (almost) and from what I have heard rides pretty nice.

I have always really liked showing there.....
    Last edited by kafesoap; May. 12, 2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by kafesoap View Post
    Most of the race track is gone. There are parts of it here and there....This is probably the only downfall of the recent improvements. I really enjoyed taking a spin around it as a nice warm up.....

Agree with all of the above - stayed there last year for MHC Finals and really enjoyed it (despite the pouring rain).

Every horse I have ever taken there has loved the indoor and the new barns and rings are really nice.

What was the jumper ring over 5 years ago is now a very large schooling area and the footing is good. The new jumper ring is in front of the old grand stand from the track (almost) and from what I have heard rides pretty nice.

I have always really liked showing there.....

Bummer, I used to enjoy a good spin around the track too.

Very sad about race track. As a kid I always wanted to show there so I could chug around.

I guess now they will never reinstitute the Justin Morgan class
    (not that I really thought that they would)