The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Damn, my farrier is retireing!

I am so sad, my amazing farrier of almost 10 years just told me he is retireing. Everytime I read posts on here about farrier problems I have always thanked my lucky stars for my guy. In 10 years he has always been on time or called if he was running late or had to reschedule. He's great with my horse, especially this past year or so as she has gotten older and more arthritic and a little more of a challenge to shoe.

I dread having to replace him. Thankfuly I at least I have a few more months to find someone else but man I am dreading it. Mike has spoiled me for anyone else
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

1 members found this post helpful.

Ugh.

I used to read farrier posts and feel bad for people who had to deal with all of that, smugly thinking that I had the best farrier ever and wouldn't have to fall down that dark hole of trying to find a really good one again. Then my farrier up and moved to Arizona after 10 years of very, very good work and very professional and courteous service (in addition, of course, to having become a good friend). Very sad day. And the black hole I was afraid of was as bad as I expected. But after 6 months of dealing with craziness and incompetency I found my new (awesome!) farrier.

So I raise my glass to you and hope that you find another really great farrier with no incompetency, non-professionalism, or craziness in between!

Sorry for you, but it makes me happy that farriers can retire, voluntarily. Good for him! It's a tough physical dangerous job, and if he worked his financials so that he could retire, well I take that as an excellent example.

1 members found this post helpful.

I dread the day when my amazing farrier retires.

OP, have you asked your farrier to recommend someone to take over when he retires? I am sure he has a good handle on who is out there and who might best fit your needs.

2 members found this post helpful.

I just went through the same thing, with the wonderful farrier who was doing the horses at the barn where my horse is boarded. He not only recommended someone to take over, but he got in touch with that farrier and recommended the barn as a good place to go.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

There is another farrier that comes to the barn. He does good work but he tends to be, how can I put it.....a little full of himself.

It is just going to be so hard to adjust to someone different. After 10 years I have become pretty good friends with my farrier and it is going to be hard to let him go. At least I will be able to still keep in touch with him through Facebook and such.

Good farriers are like gold...precious and very hard to replace....
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

We have had the same farrier "company" for nearly thirty years as when our farrier is thinking of retiring they have sold the business to an apprentice they have been working with.... so the new farrier has actually been working with our horses for up to a two years before they have become the primary farrier

Seems odd to me that a farrier would just close shop when they retired

Not sure where in CT Berlin is, but when I was in school, we used Chip and I was always happy with my horse's feet.