The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Westbrook Hunt Club (CT) and Stockade Polo Club (NY) - footing, stabling, etc?

Hello - Have you have shown at Westbrook Hunt Club in Westbrook, CT and/or Stockade Polo Club in Glenville, NY? Could you give me any information on the footing (dry and wet), stabling, etc? PMs are fine too! Thinking about doing the June shows at these showgrounds but have never been to either before. Mare does not get along well with other horses and tends to kick the stall walls (has knocked down wooden boards, kicked through temporary walls, etc...) so any information on stabling would be especially helpful. TIA!

I've always heard good things about Westbrook's footing. My information on what type is probably dated. I haven't been there for 4 years
    Last edited by flashwhitelock; May. 10, 2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: correction

Westbrook had very good footing last time I knew, which was a while ago. They have a pond & use that for their water trucks to water footing, & it was always well dragged. Stabling was temp stalls in indoor so might be an issue for a kicker.

Yes. I showed at Westbrook last year. Footing not super high end, but perfectly acceptable and they take good care of it. Stabling is rows of temporary stalls in the indoor.

The Stockade stalls are temporary under a tent...I like the open air effect and my horses seem calmer there strangely. It is a nice and somewhat 'private' feeling show. Decent atmosphere. Since one year the tent flooded so badly they have moved the stabling to a much better, raised and dry ground! No water problems since then. The footing is decent enough by my standards, though I have heard from some competitors that one of the warmup rings is a touch deep. There are two warmup rings, and one is a huge jumper sized ring. i like that there are a few trees in it to provide shade too....a bonus for me as I overheat very quickly. Bring fly sheets. They have those monstrous vampire B52 flies there.
    Horses don't lie.