The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tribute Video with Catherine Haddad-Staller

Video directed by Monica Stevenson, featuring Catherine Haddad-Staller

I saw this video shared by Dressage Today on Facebook this afternoon and I just loved it. It was so neat to hear what Ms. Haddad-Staller had to say about discipline, focus and the art of dressage. What a beautiful video, presented with such class. Well done to all involved.

I thought my favorite part came at the end, "I learned that when I throw my right leg over the horse, my external environment can't make me feel a certain way. Only I can do that. And when you learn to detach from those feelings of anxiety, or irritation, or anger, or greed, when you detach from those feelings you enter into a clearer state where you can better focus your mind on the task at hand. And if the task at hand is creation, then you had better throw your right leg over your horse with a very clear mind."
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

1 members found this post helpful.

What a cool video! Thanks for sharing!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Beautifully done. Agree with Twigster and also think that Catherine's emphasis on discipline is so important. You really do have to have the discipline to push yourself out the door and go to the barn every day, and it can be tough when the weather is bad and you have a lot of competing priorities. But you just are not going to progress without that discipline. I also love her comment regarding the freedom that self discipline affords us.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

i enjoyed the video, and i remain amazed at how good she is at self promotion! she is a natural at it, i am in awe.

I liked the discipline before art aspect, it gave a very nice balanced view, I read a book by anja beran and had to put it down because it was so artsy and aesthetical that i just did not enjoy it,

i really liked the viewpoint of discipline allows creativity.

otoh i found the right leg comment a bit strange. who "throws" their right leg over a horse? was she trying to make a play on right, and correct? ie if you are grumpy or bad tempered you are going to throw a "wrong" leg over the horse, whatever, the video work was fabulous, and the overall piece very appealing
    Last edited by chisamba; May. 10, 2013 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post
    otoh i found the right leg comment a bit strange. who "throws" their right leg over a horse? was she trying to make a play on right, and correct? ie if you are grumpy or bad tempered you are going to throw a "wrong" leg over the horse, whatever, the video work was fabulous, and the overall piece very appealing
    I throw my right leg over my horse every time I get on. Unless I get on from the right side, in which case I throw my left leg over. Maybe I just didn't read too much into that statement though.

I thought it was a very nice video, well done.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
    I throw my right leg over my horse every time I get on. Unless I get on from the right side, in which case I throw my left leg over. Maybe I just didn't read too much into that statement though.

I thought it was a very nice video, well done.
    but you do not really "throw" it? the reason it caught my attention is she used it twice, which sort of emphasized it so i was looking for some deeeeeep meaning.

Chisamba...it is a term we use in the states, no big deal.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

2 members found this post helpful.

but you do not really "throw" it? the reason it caught my attention is she used it twice, which sort of emphasized it so i was looking for some deeeeeep meaning.
    I suppose "swing" would be a more appropriate word.

I'll totally try "throwing" my leg over my horse this afternoon and let you know how it goes!

i enjoyed the video, and i remain amazed at how good she is at self promotion! she is a natural at it, i am in awe.
    Part of this is because she is one of the relatively few Olympic level riders who owns and trains her own horses. She prefers to have control over how her horses are ridden and cared for. She's not wealthy like some of the other Olympic level riders who own and train their own horses. Thus, she relies on sponsorships and creative partnerships to help her campaign her horses for World Championship shows. I give her a lot of credit for finding ways to do it on her own.

It's just a phrase that means "mounting a horse", nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    It's just a phrase that means "mounting a horse", nothing more, nothing less.
    Yeah, we oldsters use to say that. It's just a working expression. Like "rubbing" a horse or "doing him up".
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Part of this is because she is one of the relatively few Olympic level riders who owns and trains her own horses. She prefers to have control over how her horses are ridden and cared for. She's not wealthy like some of the other Olympic level riders who own and train their own horses. Thus, she relies on sponsorships and creative partnerships to help her campaign her horses for World Championship shows. I give her a lot of credit for finding ways to do it on her own.
    And I say good for her! The USEF/USDF higher-ups have made it clear they can't fund everyone in the economic realities of today, and if anything I think more high level/ability trainers need more marketing. I admire Catherine's independence and determination to get herself out there. It has come to a point where self-promotion is needed for those who aren't lucky enough to have several big dollar sponsors or an inheritance.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Very nicely done -- makes me want to see more.

True. She hasn't had a sponsor in a long time.