The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best wither relief/sizing pad

My mum recently handed down her dressage saddle to me. Her warmblood is no where near in size to my high withered tb. I sat it on him and it completely covered his withers. Any experience with a good pad to fit this? The closest tack shop is about an hour and a half away so I'd like to order online but I've never used a fitting pad before and have no idea what to look for. Any ideas? I guess I'm looking for something that would fill him out as the saddle is too wide for him. Maybe this isn't even an option?

Sheepskin half pad, if you have the $$ would get a thinline sheepskin or if you dont like thinline christ half pads are to die for!

I love thinline and the christ ones, i will prob end up getting a small thinline to go over the sheepskin

Right now i use either thinline trifecta(no extra padding) or a cottage craft sheepskin which was like $80 and pretty good gor the price
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

1 members found this post helpful.

A saddle that fit a warmblood may not be a good fit for a high withered TB, even with a shim pad. I highly suggest you look at the other areas of saddle fit, not just the width of the tree.

Look up the videos by Schleese on YouTube called Saddle Fitting in 9 steps.

To answer your question though for saddle fit, I prefer, in order a) Prolite double or triple pocket shim pad, b) Thinline Trifecta shim pad, or c) a Mattes Correction Pad. The Prolite has different thickness shims to adjust fit, while the Thinline and Mattes can be had with sheepskin to add bulk if necessary.

Thanks to both for the ideas. I will check out the items and the videos. There is no way the saddle is a good fit. Her Trakehner mare was round and wide. My boy is thin and has such high withers I literally can NOT ride him without a bareback pad. Never had a horse I couldn't jump on bareback before. And the saddle is what it is so if it doesn't fit him nbd. Maybe it will fit the dinosaur qh. Hahaha him doing dressage would be like my tb doing wp.

Please have a fitter come out and do an assessment. It may be that the saddle is totally unsuitable for your Tb; if so, there's no pad in the world that will help. If you don't have a fitter in your area, you can send photos to places that specialize in long-distance fitting, like Equestrian Imports (www.equestrianimports.com) or Panther Run Saddlery (www.pantherrunsaddlery.com).