The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barns on the East Coast Specializing in Shetlands/Mini crosses/pony ride pony sorts?

I want to start hunting for a "first pony" sort of pony but that's outside of my wheelhouse. Are there any barns that specialize in little tiny ponies that are within a half day drive of Northern Virginia?

When I was a kid, you found these kinds of ponies for a couple hundred dollars out of an ad in the newspaper, but I don't even know where to start anymore.

Thanks!

Olney Farm in Joppa, MD-- www.olneyfarm.com

Not sure what your goals are, but have you tried Craigslist? A friend of mine got one of these cute little guys from a CL ad. He isn't A show material, but turned out to be a nice little local show to B/C rated type, is teaching a small child the ropes, and drives to boot . He was hanging out in someone's field and was periodically used for driving when she picked him up, although he had been broken under saddle also.

^ That's where we found my son's pony when he was about 22 months old she has her moments (what pony doesn't ) but she's been good for him.

Christmas Card photo his 3 year old year

Walking around before riding

grooming

At this point though he's starting to get big for her, so mainly walks her around and hand grazes her

He likes catching her himself

Of Course...now that he's almost 5 *sigh* he has informed me that he is much to big for her so refuses to ride her, and has instead claimed one of my TB's ROFL. Thankfully he picked the quiet one (or at least as quiet as a fairly green 16 hand, 7 year old OTTB can get).

He likes to "Jump" Moe...I'd love to let him do the in hand class at the TB show one year...I think they'd at least get an honorable mention on sheer cuteness!

Moe was initially bought as a resale project, but due to an old hip injury limiting his future as a hunter (Chiro says he'll probably be limited to under 3' ) I guess he'll have to be my son's short stirrup "pony"

RH, I think you need THIS pony ^^ so cute!!

There are a couple on VA Equestrian right now too... very cute...

Jumpergirl 21, those are some AWWWW worthy pictures. I love your son with both his pony and the TB. Both equines look supremely happy to have a kid to play with them and have such soft, kind looks in their eyes.

ETA that I love his little carhartt overalls.