The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default APF Pro - anyone use it?

Particularly looking for input from anyone with an ulcery horse who has used this, curious what your results were. TIA

Have not used the Pro, but have used the regular & the Plus (which not many places carry - due to only being available through vets)

It was for IR issues. I also used it a long time ago for a horse that was traveling extensively. Didn't have ulcer issues, but normal long distance traveling issues - weight loss, appetite, recovery. It did definitely help with that! Horses put weight back on much quicker after travel than previously.

If you do decide to give it a try, this place has the best deals.
    http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.ph...n-formula.html

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    Have not used the Pro, but have used the regular & the Plus (which not many places carry - due to only being available through vets)

It was for IR issues. I also used it a long time ago for a horse that was traveling extensively. Didn't have ulcer issues, but normal long distance traveling issues - weight loss, appetite, recovery. It did definitely help with that! Horses put weight back on much quicker after travel than previously.

If you do decide to give it a try, this place has the best deals.
    http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.ph...n-formula.html
    Thanks, The issues with travel are so simlar to ulcer effects that it might be worth a try. It is very spendy, but if it saved me from treating for ulcers repeatedly it might be worth it. FWIW, Hagyard Pharmacy is actually slight less expensive..

Thanks for the Hagyard tip!

You may want to contact the company for clarification, but my understanding is that ulcer geared ingredient in the Pro is Aralia mandschuricia, and the Plus has this in it and it's a lower price. The Pro has everything in the Plus with the addition of Rhaponticum carthamoides, which I thought they mention for muscle building, but could be wrong.

I felt the same way - the Pro is SO expensive! I felt like the Plus was almost as good at the Pro, and way less $.

For what I understand the Rhaponticum carthamoides is the ingredient added to help with ulcers... (I am off to email the company..)

I have used APF for years. I started using APF Pro when it was formulated.
    My three older geldings (17,13,12) get it daily. I also have a kennel of Field Trial dogs (6 dogs)that are on APF Pro daily from the day they are weaned.
    I see the most dramatic results when I am traveling and competiting over long periods. My animals handle the stress and workload like a breeze.
    I take it daily too, and I have more energy and a hard to describe feeling of well being.
    Larry Garner
    Spalding Fly Predators

1 members found this post helpful.

Interesting!

What dosage do you take for yourself?

Started at 2 ml daily now up to 4 ml after 4 years. When I work at a horse event and am exposed to a lot of people I double dose. Someone inevidivebilty is sick or coughing at these events but I rarely catch the crud.
    APF is bitter so I take it in apple juice or orange juice.
    There is a people version but I just take the horse since I was told all versions were bottled under human sanitary conditions.
    Larry Garner
    Spalding Fly Predators

Yikes, you, your horses, and the dogs are all on it? That is a lot of money!

I have one horse on it and she does very well with stresses, recovery from conditioning etc. It was initially to help with allergies but I've kept her on it for all of the other affects.

My biggest expense is HAY. Dog Feed is second.
    APF is about $.50 a day for a dog and $3 a day for a horse on maintenance
    That is all they are on except feed water and hay for the horses. The dogs get feed water and Dasaquin for Joint health.
    I personally get a lot more choices plus my APF.
    Larry Garner
    Spalding Fly Predators