The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Well I did It! Just sold the green bean :)

So not sure if any of you remember, but about a year back last February I purchased my first horse: a very green ottb who had been off of the track about two months. I bought him as an "experience horse" mostly because I was too scared to call it what it was, a resell prospect. I was sure as soon as I said he was a resell or investment he was going to colic or go lame!

His name was "Seven Firsts" and I renamed him "Roheryn" when I started retraining him. I got very lucky in that I hit the trifecta with him: he was super sane, athletic, and sound. I really could not have asked for a better horse to work with my first time around. He is dead quiet and game for anything.

Well after only a month on the market, he was sold to another girl at my barn today as her eventual 3ft horse. I am so excited he will still be around and even more excited because she is the sweetest girl and will spoil him rotten.

I just wanted to share my little success story with COTH, since you guys gave me a lot of great advice and I found my horse on here. I am beyond excited to have made any sort of profit since I have been around horses for too long not to brace for the worst case scenario! The timing is perfect too since I graduate from college next weekend and would really love to spend a year as a working student somewhere (we'll see if that happens) and didn't want to have to worry about not having sold him.

Here is a picture of him last week: http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...98585989_n.jpg

And I'm linking to his sale ad which has more pictures and a video. I'm assuming that is allowed since he is sold: http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-2829804.html

So thank you everyone who asked questions about OTTBs, green horses, improving transitions and canters and distances because I read them all and put it to good use. It really is amazing that a resource like the COTH forum exists, because the same thing my trainer has been trying to get me to do for weeks may be explained slightly differently here and finally click.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

4 members found this post helpful.

He's so cute! Congratulations on your successful resale project!

Congratulations! He is super cute!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Congrats!!

If you came out ahead on the money end, you probably know that doesn't always happen. Be sure to bask in the glow and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Congrats!!

If you came out ahead on the money end, you probably know that doesn't always happen. Be sure to bask in the glow and enjoy it.
    Thanks everyone!

And MHM, trust me, I am! I feel like I was a broken record to my parents (who helped me out) warning them that a horse was much much more likely to cost money than make money!

I'm counting this as an exceptionally rare exception, but mostly happy with how smooth and quick the sale was.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

Congrats! He's adorable.

Great job and congratulation. You lived the dream, bought a resale project and made some money, lol. He is a cutie and looks like he'll make a wonderful partner for his new person.

Love stories like this! Congrats!!

Congrats! So glad you had a profitable sale AND the green bean is going to someone who will luuurrve him

Congratulations! He looks like a very good boy!

nice work!!