The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    86

    Question Bathing for a show situation

    Hi I wanted to get some advise about this situation.

    I have extensive show experience and in the past I have always bathed right before the show, wrapped/blanketed/sleazy and stalled the horse and trailed over to the show in the morning or done the whole process at the show barn if I'm staying overnight. However I have never had to deal with this type of situation before.

    Here is the situation: I have been asked to attend a show at my old barn (boarded there for over 10 years, still help with pony club there). It will take about 2 hours to trailer there from my current barn. Because I am riding in the morning classes (9am) I have decided to trailed over the day before. I'm planning to get there around midday and school a bit since it is the first show of the year. Now the issue is that there are many pony club kids who are also showing and the barn is very small. So I am not sure if I will be able to bathe my horse after schooling on Saturday. There is also no hot water and I am not sure if I am going to get a stall or a temp paddock (12x12 probably pipe corral) for stabling. I have asked for a stall but space is very limited so I don't know what I will get.

    Here are my questions: can I bathe at home before trailering and give her a rinse/touch up after schooling? Will she stay clean enough? I cannot trailer with a sheet as she gets too sweaty and the weather has been very hot. Also if I get a paddock is it safe to use a sleazy overnight? I have only used it in a stall. Also I plan to use my trailer as my tie area and not the barn, even though I know I am welcome, so I don't get in the way of the kids/boarders, but is it reasonable to rinse/wash my horse in the wash rack if necessary?

    I really don't want to be the rude person who takes over. But at home my normal day before the show prep is an all day process and I use the wash rack and cross ties for quite a while (we have more then one, its never been an issue). How can I compromise and still have a show ring ready horse. I am rather OCD about grooming in general and kinda go overboard for shows.

    I appreciate everyone's comments, tips and input.
    Thanks!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    I've only got an answer for one of your questions.
    I think it would be perfectly fine to bathe before you go and then just do touch ups at the show. That is what I do every time when I show, unless they get so sweaty at the show that I feel I have to bathe. But for the most part I bathe before going, then just do touch ups. They still look really nice.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    86

    Default

    NBChoice, thanks for the advise!

    This barn is much more small/limited than the large show barns where I usually show, so space has never been a problem before. Also in the past when I've show this show I was a boarder so I didn't have the same problem.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2012
    Posts
    748

    Default

    I never wash the horse on the day of the show as it is usually too stressy for both me and the horse to do it on top of everything else.

    I usually bathe the day before, than put a fly sheet on her. I have a great one with neck. It helps keep the horse clean.

    In the morning of the show I just brush the horse and finish up with baby wipes. She always looks great!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    I never wash the horse on the day of the show as it is usually too stressy for both me and the horse to do it on top of everything else.
    That is what I usually do too. I think my narrative was a bit confusing. I will be trailering to the small barn the day before the show and I will either have to bathe at home (and rinse/touch up after riding there) or there after I ride. My main concerns are the lack of space and number of people using said space and the overnight stabling if I get a paddock. I would really like opinions on using the sleazy in the paddock overnight.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 6, 2007
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Hopefully your horse isn't grey? ;-)

    I would bathe at home. If your horse has white socks, spray those with showsheen or something like that to repel strains/dirt.

    After you school at the facility, give her a wipe down with a damp cloth to remove any sweat or dust & then the sheet & sleazy. You could do a touch up washing of any white socks if you feel you need it.

    I think that will keep you horse show presentable, but keep the need for the wash rack limited so you don't feel like you're in their way?



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 6, 2007
    Posts
    968

    Default

    RE: sleazy in paddock - the horse will be fine, it's just a matter of will she rub or snag it on something. All depends on the paddock.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    RE: sleazy in paddock - the horse will be fine, it's just a matter of will she rub or snag it on something. All depends on the paddock.
    Yay! Thank you, that was my though and will have to be determined at the time. I am on the overly cautious side of thing and wanted some reassurance that what I'm doing is safe.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 20, 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    If you think it will be too hot for the sleezy, do you have a fly sheet with a neck cover? That should help keep her clean.

    I have a Rambo Dustbuster and I put it on my guy after I bathe for a show. I actually turn him out in it on the night before a show. My horses have private pastures, so I'm not as worried about turning him out in it as I would if he had pasturemates.

    A friend recently turned me on to Miracle Groom. It does a great job of removing extra dust and keeping the coat cleaner. If she is in a paddock overnight, perhaps you can go over her in the morning with Miracle Groom?



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    Hopefully your horse isn't grey? ;-)

    I would bathe at home. If your horse has white socks, spray those with showsheen or something like that to repel strains/dirt.

    After you school at the facility, give her a wipe down with a damp cloth to remove any sweat or dust & then the sheet & sleazy. You could do a touch up washing of any white socks if you feel you need it.

    I think that will keep you horse show presentable, but keep the need for the wash rack limited so you don't feel like you're in their way?
    No my horse is not grey, and has very little white.

    Sounds like people a thinking along the same lines I am. I think that I will bathe at home and then touch up any areas that are needed. And try to stay out of the barn area as much as possible.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    Bathe the horse before you go, and keep her as clean as you can while you're there without taking over the wash rack/area. It doesn't sound like a very big show, so a reasonably clean, well-groomed horse is going to be perfectly fine, even if there is a little bit of dust to brush off before your classes.
    Click here before you buy.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    If you think it will be too hot for the sleezy, do you have a fly sheet with a neck cover? That should help keep her clean.
    No, unfortunately a large bag of horse laundry which had my kool coat in it has gone missing. I actually have the neck still and could try to attach it to my fly sheet (not a kool coat). But I don't think that it will be that hot since the show is on the northern coast in Cali (probably 40's-50's at night/60's-low 70's during the day). I board more inland and its been around 75-90 during the day. I am probably going to use my unlined turnout sheet at night at the show with the sleazy if possible.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Bathe the horse before you go, and keep her as clean as you can while you're there without taking over the wash rack/area. It doesn't sound like a very big show, so a reasonably clean, well-groomed horse is going to be perfectly fine, even if there is a little bit of dust to brush off before your classes.
    It is not a very big show, however I am a pony club instructor there and many of the kids have not had show experience and I want to be a good example of how to properly prepare and be clean and presentable for the show.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov. 20, 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    I forgot to add that I actually braid after I bathe the horse and then cover him with the Dustbuster Plus and turn him out overnight.

    Believe it or not, it has actually worked well for me with my previous horses. I haven't shown the current horse yet where I've needed to braid so I may be eating my words this summer!

    Since I'm an eventer, my braids don't have to be A Show perfect, but they definitely look presentable.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    I forgot to add that I actually braid after I bathe the horse and then cover him with the Dustbuster Plus and turn him out overnight.

    Believe it or not, it has actually worked well for me with my previous horses. I haven't shown the current horse yet where I've needed to braid so I may be eating my words this summer!

    Since I'm an eventer, my braids don't have to be A Show perfect, but they definitely look presentable.
    I too am an (ex) eventer! The majority of my show experience is in eventing, now I focus on mainly dressage. As you know most events are at huge facilities, so this is a big change for me.

    I am planing to braid after I ride and then cover with sleazy and blanket.


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Bathing a cat?
    By islandrider in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jul. 3, 2012, 10:15 AM
  2. Bathing Your Dog
    By Gracious in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May. 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
  3. Winter Bathing?
    By eventr4life in forum Eventing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jan. 11, 2011, 06:21 PM
  4. Bathing Tecniques?
    By EquitationRider in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Oct. 1, 2010, 10:32 PM
  5. What to pay for bathing?
    By dogponyshow in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul. 22, 2009, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness