The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 60 dead horses found on farm in Wisconsin, possibly more

:-( From what I'm heard, this has been going on for years and complaints were made but nothing was ever done about it. So tragic. This is just a few minutes from my parents house but I've never seen the place.

First story....
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/205468591.html

Recent follow up with authorities finding 55 dead horses
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local....html?lc=Smart

Recent update
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/206700501.html
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

What a sad, weird story. The owners can't possibly just have abandoned them IN THEIR STALLS can they??? Lord I hope not.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

http://www.judysbook.com/members/116...08/10/21862023
    DIL trying to tell someone about them since 2008
    " i do not want anything from paula white i want her to care for and feed her animals and let them live a happy life and be healthy she is very bypolar and thinks everyone is out to get her i am not i just want to save the horse they are severly starved you can look paula white up on facebook also if she was a proud owner just like every horse owner you would see pics of her horses but she doesnt cause she has things to hide when she lost 25 horses in 2 months she chained her barn doors closed so no one could see the horses laying in the barn with no vet care and suffering dont let her get away with all these lies that she tells soemone needs to help these horse i dont care about her at all she is noone those animals are who i care for they dont have a voice so shut up you worthless liar "
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    from above link:

'Police say they did get complaints about the farm in the past but they never had enough evidence to execute a search warrant until April.'

Yes, lets put Ag Gag laws in place, shall we?
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

7 members found this post helpful.

yep... complaints have been made about that place for YEARS.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    from above link:

'Police say they did get complaints about the farm in the past but they never had enough evidence to execute a search warrant until April.'

Yes, that these laws exist will at least educate people about the need to report abuse right away, not keep half trying to do so and will put the ones in charge on notice that they have to respond right away.

At least it is bringing that abuses have to be reported and acted on to a head, which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    from above link:

JUST WHAT I WAS THINKING!! Why can't there be an Inspection of every 'farm' at least once a year....maybe stuff like this wouldn't happen! OR at least do an investigation if there is ANY complaint... No excuse for this!! rotten DIL or not! where there is smoke there CAN be fire!

Of course that would suppose that the Ag officer who actually would do the farm visit would actually DO thier job. I once found an inspection slip stating that horse had Coggins and shots...owner never saw or spoke to the pfficer AND the horse was an unhandled stallion...had not been handled AT ALL in at least 2 yrs. Fortunately he was being fed (though too much...just lucky he didn't founder). Ugh...why can't people do the right thing...owners and those in charge of inspecting!!

This is somewhat near me, though I have never seen or heard of this farm until recently. How absolutely horrible. I hate to think of what all of those poor horses went through.

The farm owners must have some kind of major mental health problems. I just can't think of any other explanation for something like this.

The not enough evidence thing is a cop-out. A witness's complaint can be enough for a warrant. And you can always do a knock-and-talk without a warrant.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    The not enough evidence thing is a cop-out. A witness's complaint can be enough for a warrant. And you can always do a knock-and-talk without a warrant.
    But what do you do if the knockee isn't playing with a full deck and hides in the closet...

BTW, Angela Freda is promoting trespassing....or even breaking and entering...if you can't see it from the road....ah, never mind.

But I am thinking thre have been many balls been dropped along the way. Seems this person had some severe mental problems.
    But unfortunately, until they hurt a person (bad enough) there is not a lot that can be done for them to get help.

(BTW, trespassing on a sane person's property might get you into trouble, on an unstable one's, you might find yourself on the business end of a shotgun....I would not advise it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    But what do you do if the knockee isn't playing with a full deck and hides in the closet...
    Obviously you can't go in if they don't answer...but who knows what they would have seen through the windows...or smelled...that could very well have given them enough suspicion for a warrant. Cops do this on a daily basis when they suspect drug possession, I guess animal cruelty isn't as glamorous.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

3 members found this post helpful.

From what I've heard, the owner is pretty much a hoarder and collects skulls of her dead horses. It says in the article the house was in violation of multiple codes and was condemned. Somebody said that kids from this barn were sent home from a 4H show because their horses were too skinny, and that was 5-6 years ago.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    Obviously you can't go in if they don't answer...but who knows what they would have seen through the windows...or smelled...that could very well have given them enough suspicion for a warrant. Cops do this on a daily basis when they suspect drug possession, I guess animal cruelty isn't as glamorous.
    One would think 60 carcasses would alert the buzzards by smell...or cops at road side...

weird.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We had the same situation in Kentucky. My farrier does the barn next to this farm. From what he told me, the horses died in their stalls, dogs and cats in crates in the barn. No one at the show barn next door had any idea. They had reported thin horses from time to time, but, as usual, A/C only did a drive by.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Mul...193360571.html
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    JUST WHAT I WAS THINKING!! Why can't there be an Inspection of every 'farm' at least once a year....maybe stuff like this wouldn't happen! OR at least do an investigation if there is ANY complaint... No excuse for this!! rotten DIL or not! where there is smoke there CAN be fire!

Of course that would suppose that the Ag officer who actually would do the farm visit would actually DO thier job. I once found an inspection slip stating that horse had Coggins and shots...owner never saw or spoke to the pfficer AND the horse was an unhandled stallion...had not been handled AT ALL in at least 2 yrs. Fortunately he was being fed (though too much...just lucky he didn't founder). Ugh...why can't people do the right thing...owners and those in charge of inspecting!!
    That would be the same as saying every home with a senior or child in it should be inspected for abuse etc.

I have been asking them why now..why THIS complaint rather than previous complaineds that alleged to have been made. I have not had a reply from them yet. HOWEVER I was told by a "off record" police representative that IF someone had taken a video or photo and turned it over to them they could have acted sooner. Does this mean someone was sitting on pictures..shopping them around..this is what the GAG LAW you claim is wrong..would stop. An immediate response..

To say they have had people OFFICIALLY complain for years is not appearing to be the case. All it would have taken is for a show secretary or manager to phone the police regarding skinny horses or have them come to the show would have resulted in an investigation.

I think this might be a case where people mumbled but really did nothing. NOW when they are asked why they did nothing..they claim the police didn't act. I am waiting for a return call for the "official number" of complaints logged in to the police depart over the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post

I have been asking them why now..why THIS complaint rather than previous complaineds that alleged to have been made. I have not had a reply from them yet. HOWEVER I was told by a "off record" police representative that IF someone had taken a video or photo and turned it over to them they could have acted sooner. Does this mean someone was sitting on pictures..shopping them around..this is what the GAG LAW you claim is wrong..would stop. An immediate response..

I think this might be a case where people mumbled but really did nothing. NOW when they are asked why they did nothing..they claim the police didn't act. I am waiting for a return call for the "official number" of complaints logged in to the police depart over the past 5 years.
    The dead horses were in stalls. Someone would have had to be on the property to get a pic. THAT's what the Ag Gag laws want to prevent.

I can't believe you are STILL defending animal abusers/neglectors.

And if you think that AC always investigates complaints of cruelty/neglect, you are naïve.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    The dead horses were in stalls. Someone would have had to be on the property to get a pic. THAT's what the Ag Gag laws want to prevent.

And if you think that AC always investigates complaints of cruelty/neglect, you are naïve.
    No, it's a very simple reason...Fairfax is being ignored and he has to up the ante to get a response. Ignore is your friend.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Because it is trespassing. Which is illegal.
    And it makes evidence inadmissible, the pesky 4th amendment, Constitutional wise. Since obviously the lady wasn't playing with a full deck she didn't have people from the outside come in, so regular 'under cover' work did not really apply...

AC is bound by laws. They just can't do as they please. Heaven knows, there are enough precedents where they tried....

In the end, you can't legislate mental illness.

Not really, there are already no trespassing laws that keeps anyone from walking in there to do anything, including taking pictures.

There was a lady here with 90+ cats in a very small house, some dead ones here and there, when her daughter finally called in animal control.
    They had to condemn the house and put the lady in a mental hospital.

All those cats there, but no one could go in there just to snoop around without cause, only an officer with a warrant can do that and that is the way it should be.

Even if you don't have anything to hide, do you really think it is right to let anyone with any excuse walk around your barn or house taking pictures?

That is not protecting abusers, but protecting the general public from undue search.
    I think that is a constitutional guarantee, that can be ignored under the right conditions already spelled in detail, with a court order.

That we try to protect from trespassing came about because some think they can trespass to snoop around, when the law definitely is against that.
    You are supposed to tell authorities if something is wrong, not go put yourself and others in danger and break laws for your own ideas or agendas.

4 members found this post helpful.