The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Replacing all four trailer tires at once--how can it be done?

So, after an endless search for the "just right" trailer, I've finally found one that I love: 2 horse GN straightload with a small dressing room in my price range. Seller & I agreed on a price.
    But here's the problem: It's been sitting for over a year, and all four tires---it's a double axle--(plus the spare) are dry-rotted to the point where I would not want to pull it anywhere.
    I called the closest trailer dealer. They're 8 miles away on local roads, and then said just haul it, it *should* make it. But I'd rather not take that chance.
    Do I have to jack up the trailer and pull all four wheels and take them to get new tires? Do I have to pull just two wheels and then drive to the dealer to get the rest done?

There may be a simple answer, but I'm a first time trailer owner, so I don't know.

I think I would try to haul it to the dealer - very slowly and with someone following. I would be more scared of putting the wheels back on wrong and then driving on that. Of course I would see how it does in the driveway and around the block first. Probably add some air too.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sitting for one year?

If you haul it really slow, you should not have huge problems. 8 miles isn't that far.

it is amazing how bad tires can look and still 'function'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Jacking it up, pulling the wheels, hauling them to the shop, and then reversing the process is not hard. It can be laborious.

If you think you might forget the sequence then mark the wheels with chalk or magic marker or something before you pull them.

It's likely the rig will make it to the shop if you're careful.

Will the shop haul it and, if so, for how much? Is that a number you can live with?

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Just haul it . Unless they are flat on one side, won't hold air, obvious large cracks, you really should be fine.

Sez me, who had to haul an empty GN down the interstate once, slowly, with only one tire on one side.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Just had all four of my tires replaced. They used two floor jacks.

I agree with others that you'll probably make it to the shop.

Yeah, the guy from the shop said just haul it. I'm going to ask them if they'll do it. I don't have a GN hitch in my truck yet (the shop will get that job) so I was going to ask a friend to pull it for me, but I'd rather have the shop do it, if they will.
    Thanks for the answers. I'm so excited to get a trailer! I feel like a real horse owner now! I'm re-reading all the pointers from a previous Coth thread on things a new trailer owner should know.
    What did I ever do for answers before discovering the Coth "Magic 8 Ball"?

While they're putting on new tires, have them check and pack the wheel bearings.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

5 members found this post helpful.

If you can change tires ... Make sure the spare is at proper pressure and pull it to shop. Alternately, pull two wheels, one from each side and have them replaced. Then pull the trailer to the shop. An empty trailer will easily go 8 miles on a single good tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    Yeah, the guy from the shop said just haul it. I'm going to ask them if they'll do it. I don't have a GN hitch in my truck yet (the shop will get that job) so I was going to ask a friend to pull it for me, but I'd rather have the shop do it, if they will.
    Thanks for the answers. I'm so excited to get a trailer! I feel like a real horse owner now! I'm re-reading all the pointers from a previous Coth thread on things a new trailer owner should know.
    What did I ever do for answers before discovering the Coth "Magic 8 Ball"?
    After you get your trailer all squared away go to an empty parking lot and spend an hour just driving it around. The lane markings will give you a guide on how your trailer performs as you turn, back, and otherwise maneuver. If you've got an experienced driver to help you the process will go faster.

Good luck with your new purchase.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Congrats on the trailer!

Fill tires to the correct pressure and haul slowly to the shop.

I'd just haul it slowly too. Although if you have a couple jacks and cinder blocks, jacking up both sides and pulling the wheels is really not that difficult. Handy to have the whole trailer in the shop too though if you want them to repack the bearings for you (again, easy to do yourself, but not everyone likes to).

Thanks for all the help! My husband agrees with most of the answers here, that we should just haul it the short distance to the shop, early in the morning when there's less traffic. I'm going to have them do a complete safety check, wiring & lights, etc., repack the bearings, lubricate the hinge on the ramp, etc.

Good plan! Drive safe!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I made it 30 miles with tires cracked so bad you could see the wires. And I had a load (saw it while moving).

After the first trailer shop a couple weeks before had told me they had inspected the tires and they were fine. A$$es.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

LOL when I bought my trailer I drove it from Providence RI to North Shore MA on severely dry rotted tires. When I took it to the tire place a week or two later, the tires were in REALLY bad shape, basically flat. It worked out OK, I just stayed on back roads. You should be fine for 8 miles.

Again, thanks all. I'm going to the trailer place today to see how soon they can get a GN hitch installed for me.

The trailer dealership has an experienced hauler who will pick up the trailer for me. They'll install my GN hitch, do a full safety inspection and replace the tires...then I'll be ROLLING!

Default tire thoughts...

Dry rotting is very common w/trailers. Most of us have it. Ain't no big thing in that it's kinda like being fat = it's a matter of degree!!
    The cause is under use, improper inflation and parking on grass or damp areas. Find a nice dry graveled area to park it. And most importantly move your trailer frequently so the tires don't get misshapen from sitting too long in one place.
    MOST IMPORTANT! Make sure you are getting TRAILER tires and not AUTO tires or truck tires. Trailer tires MUST be bias ply with a high ply count. They have stiffer walls. You need the stiffer walled tire for carrying heavy & moving loads. NO steel belted radials/ gives too mushy a ride for horses and walls not strong enough hence their bulge when you look at them sideways. You'll get more flats w/radials. Trailer tires not sold at all tire places but may have to be ordered. fyi !!
    AND CONGRATULATIONS on your new trailer !!!