The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moms, what helmets are your kids wearing?

My daughter just started lessons. She's currently wearing my Ovation Schooler with the dial adjusted to fit her. It is passable, but I don't like the fact that in the back, it doesn't seem to cover her head as well as I'd like.

I know, for myself, I'm always like... eh the $50 helmet has the same protection as the $500 one... but when it comes to my kid, I am happy to dump $500 on a helmet if I knew it would provide a higher degree of protection!

We are at an eventing barn, most of the kids ride in skull caps, should we go that route?

She also has a LOT, I mean A LOT of hair.

Maybe we should just make the 1.5 hour drive to the closest tack shop.....

And because her and the lesson pony are so freaking cute, a pic:
    http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps945ca083.jpg
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I would make the drive and make sure the helmet fits well. She only has one brain.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Take a road trip. She and the pony are adorable! She needs something pink to match those half-chaps.
    Alis volat propriis.

Mine just wears a Troxel schooling helmet for riding generally and shows in my IRH Elite (which happens very infrequently).

The Tipperary has good coverage in the back, fwiw, and they are not crazy expensive.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Yeah, I need a new helmet too, so perhaps driving down is the best bet. Better than ordering and sending back 54326 helmets.

Her hair adds a whole 'nother element to the helmet fitting process so trying a bunch on may just be the answer.

Mine ride in Troxels on the trail and IRH in the ring -- IMO it's more important that the helmet be appropriately certified, fit properly and be worn consistently (i.e. Every. Single. Time. they get on the horse, no hopping on bareback for just a minute) than the kids getting the stripey one or the coolest looking one with neato vents/integrated bluetooth/electric dog-polisher. I let them put stickers on the Troxels if they feel the need to decorate. We update the helmets every 1-2 years, depending on kiddos growth rates. The velvets get sold on (because they are usually worn for a few hours a year in the ring and are carefully handled and stored so I can assure another parent that they are still safe) but the Troxels that take the daily abuse are usually thrown out. Don't buy a used helmet for your kid unless you know the 'providence' so to speak.

BTW my middle daughters life was saved by a Troxel. Can't emphasize enough the importance of a helmet at all times on kids.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Yeah, I need a new helmet too, so perhaps driving down is the best bet. Better than ordering and sending back 54326 helmets.

Her hair adds a whole 'nother element to the helmet fitting process so trying a bunch on may just be the answer.
    Flash -- my youngest has gobs of hair as well. Look for one of the helmet styles that has a 'ponytail notch' in the back.

Oh no worries there, Barbaric. I even make her wear the helmet while handling the pony on the ground, grooming, etc. She will not ride without one, ever. I had a nasty accident about 10 years ago in which the right side of my helmet was smashed. If I'd been without one, I would not be here. So I'm a total helmet nazi!

My son was wearing a Troxel schooling helmet, with the dial fit. He's now wearing a Pegasus Euro Jumper helmet that I actually ordered for myself on Tack of the Day. The sizing ran small and it did not fit me...turns out if fit him perfectly . He likes it as it looks cool, is light weight and well-vented.

LOL -- yeah, my 'mean mom face' gets a good workout on the weekends, making sure everyone has their helmets on as soon as they hit the barn. Sometimes they get so excited to ride they forget.

The Tipperary schooling helmets are a popular choice here for people who want a helmet that goes down farther in the back. They don't break the bank either.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post

An alternative if you're pressed for time: shop through SmartPak. I'm sure if you took some measurements, they'd be super helpful with identifying good candidates on the phone, and they have a 100% Happiness Guarantee that includes free return shipping for any sized item. They ship free over $75, which you rack up pretty quickly by ordering three or four helmets. Or if you just wanted to try one or two, and your barn does SmartPaks, possibly you could leverage the Barn Saver Shipping program to get free shipping.

Jn4, you are always full of good ideas!! Thanks!

I always road trip for the helmets for the DD.
    We started in this http://www.doversaddlery.com/aegis%3...met/p/X1-3654/

Then went to http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...et/p/X1-36385/ which she really really loves though hers is purple. For shows we just put this on http://www.helmetcovers.com/images/R...elvet%20HC.jpg

DD did not like the Tipperany at all. She has gobs of hair and rides dressage, with the bun on the Tipperany was uncomfortable for her.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I personally like the Tipperary Helmets - they are comfy and easy to fit and come down to the neck base. I didn't used to be a fan of them as thought they weren't as atttractive as others, but have since changed my tune.. spend the $ on the drive to the tack shop, try on different helmets and go w/ what fits the best and is most comfortable - don't necessarily let brand and/or price affect decision - well I don't know that I would pay $500 for a helmet unless it was really comfy

I have the Deluxe Schooler as well - and they do come tiny! - but if you are looking for more back-of-head-coverage, check out the Ovation Protégé - it comes further down the skull. Once I get back to really riding after my brain surgery I think I will be getting one as they took a chunk of skull out of the bottom as well as the top vertebrae's back off - I figure more protection there is a good thing now.

Oh good tip on the Protege. And it comes in "fun" colors, lol.

Good luck with your recovery, PC... sounds like a pretty major ordeal!

My seven year old rides in a Charles Owen. We have tried lots of different helmets and she just finds the CO ones are the most comfortable. I would say that you should make the drive and try on all the helmets that you can get your hands on and see what seems to work best for her. I also find that the CO helmets have good coverage down the back of the head.

Hey FG! I have a lot of hair, but no where near as much as Flashy Jr... the Tip barely fit over it, and was awkward with a ponytail. Maybe the new ones are better, but it's not where I'd start unless you're in a tackshop...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

My daughter rides in a Troxel dial-to-fit helmet. I'm pleased with the fit and it looks like it covers the same general area as my helmets. I decided to wait to get her something "fancier" until I know if she's really going to stick with it. But I did see these last night: http://www.equestrianclearance.com/m...ml?clearance=1 I haven't ever ordered from the site so can't give a recommendation, but they've got some good deals on helmets.