The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fly sheets w/the insect repellant? Yay or "neigh"?

I have a pony that attracts flies horribly. He'll have 50 on him while the horse next to him has just a few. They unfortunately love him and he is miserable. I have a baker fly sheet that is old and has now torn down the back. This pony also gets HOT very easily. I am considering one of the more expensive fly sheets with the insect repellant built in. Do they work better or is it alot of hype and just more money?? Any recommendations for a fly sheet that is VERY cool to have on? Thanks

Didn't notice a difference that was worth the money. I spray the sheets with my own fly spray mix with about the same or better result.
    I have had good results with the Rambo sheets. The oatmeal colored sheets are lighter weight than the silver colored sheets. My horses seem to be cooler in the "oatmeal" sheets though the "silver" sheets last a bit longer. Of course we are on sand which is really hard on the sheets when the horses decide t roll.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Not worth it. Doesn't last very long. Better to spray the horse, put on the sheet and spray the sheet.

Maybe it would be worth it if your pony doesn't roll in the mud and stays pretty clean. I wind up washing my fly sheets weekly or every other week, so the built in stuff just washed out pretty quick.

But I DO really like the Rambo protector fly sheet (if that's the one you're talking about--they make it both with and without the built in fly stuff.) I have several and swap out as needed, but I've not bought the one with the built in protection again.

I'll disagree with the others and say that I saw a big difference on my "fly-attractive" horses.

i had a QH gelding who got really bad midline dermatitis every year. I spent loads on fly sprays, SWAT ointment, and flysheets, and even so he'd end up with no tail, no mane, and a raw stripe up his belly. I got my first Amigo Bugbuster because of him and it was a complete game changer for him. I never had to spray him with flyspray again and his mane and tail stayed in tact as long as I kept him in the sheet.

My mare is not quite as sensitive, but if she gets turned out without a sheet or fly spray she comes in looking like an equine pincushion with bug bites all over. A normal fly sheet doesn't do much for her, but the amigo BB I got for her does the trick nicely.

My other horses aren't particularly attractive to flies, nor do they get chewed upon more than usual. One summer I decided to get Bugbusters for everyone and I didn't notice a difference on anyone but the QH and my mare.

So I'm all for the fly repellent impregnated sheets on those horses who look like an equine buffet to the insect community (and I empathize with them since I am the human version of that same buffet). I think they can make a big difference. I've only used the Amigo ones, so I can't comment on the other brands/models (Rambo, and I'm not sure if there are others?), but I have one that I'm on year 3 with. I don't think it's as effective as it was in year one, but my mare still seems to be doing okay with it.

1 members found this post helpful.

You can also get a cheaper fly sheet and spray it yourself with permethrin, which is what the Bug Buster uses - just do it outside in a well-ventilated area, spray the heck out of it (following bottle directions ), and let it dry, and it should last through multiple washings. I haven't looked at prices to know how much you would save, since it would take a fair bit of permethrin to treat a fly sheet, but that's standard for treating your clothes before traveling to buggy tropical places (I have friends who have greatly regretted not doing so).

If you're buying a new sheet anyway, I'd pick up the new zebra stripe Bucas Buzz Off sheet, I believe Bucas has a link on their website to the research study that demonstrated the zebra pattern effect on flies etc.
    I'd love to get one but have a Rambo that has hardly any wear on it

If the repellent action is the same as in human clothes washing takes it out after awhile. would getting rained on have the same effect? It would be leaving you with a more expensive but less effective sheet.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Neigh.... I would be most concerned with the chemicals that I and my horse would be exposed to.....I don't like where most of these sheets are manufactured in terms of chemical usage and ink dye safety.
    I would much prefer to use my own known fly repellants for MY health as well as my horses. Just my opinion.

I have the Amigo Bug Buster one and love it. Horse doesn't get unusually hot and I do think the bugs are better.

Neigh; those built-in fly spray sheets made both my thick-skinned Morgans break out in hives.

I have the Amigo treated ones for two horses and the Rambo treated one for another. Plus a variety of untreated ones for all, so I can switch off if I need to wash or repair one, or to change the fit (so if one type rubs a bit, switching round helps keep it from being a problem). Last year was terrible here for gnats and mosquitos and I thought the treated ones did a marginally better job of repelling them. Not a huge difference, but a little. Flies aren't much of an issue as I use fly predators. I have two horses that tend to react to things - one breaks out in hives (never have isolated a trigger, but I'm careful about new fly sprays and such because of it) while the other gets super itchy (for him, I know citronella is a trigger) - neither had any issue with the treated fly rugs.