The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Breeches+hot day+riding=open, painful sore! Ideas for covering/prevention?

It has been unseasonally hot here in the PNW, and last weekend I had a show. I wear FITs breeches that fit very well, and new custom boots--perhaps this was a bad combination with all the sweating (and cursing, as the boots refused to zip that last 1/2 inch!). I began to notice a painful spot on the inside of my left knee, just at the bend when you sit in the saddle. As the day wore on, it got worse and worse--but I rode through it.

After I got done for the day, and peeled off those breeches, I was left with a 1/4 wide, inch long "burn"(?) that is super sore. I tried to ride Monday, with a big bandaid over it--that was a not go, so I added an "Ace" bandage (tail wrap from my trunk) over it, which made it barely tolerable. Obviously, the owie is rubbed by contact with the saddle, and unless I turn my leg around and put it on backwards, that's how it will have to be.

So: How to ride through this until it heals?
    And: How do you prevent these? Or am I just a victim of sweaty pants-funny crease-taller boot syndrome?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

to prevent it, a lot of brands make anti-chaffing spray/ gel that I've heard pretty good things about, I don't know if that would help but it might be worth a shot. They also make liquid skin which might help for the healing process good luck and quick healing!
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Take two days of and let it air out with antibiotic ointment - that should be enough to start the healing and make it tolerable. I wish I had a solution for the future, but I would try and make sure that your pants are not going to move while you are riding since that is where the rubbing is coming from.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

1 members found this post helpful.

Solution for the future: http://www.antimonkeybutt.com, anti friction powder on your legs before you pull on breeches will keep it from rubbing.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Cotton balls sot of 'pulled apart' (so that there is cushion, but not so much that it's putting added pressure), neosporin and vet wrap. That's what I always use and it works like a charm. I've found the vet wrap is much less bulky than the ace bandage

I also do this when ever I have to break in new boots/shoes as a preventitive (minus the neosporin).

equifit gel bands...

What do you ride in at home...boots or paddocks and half chaps? I have what sounds like a similar sore from a lesson I had a week ago and I find it is more tolerable when I wear my half chaps.

I also only ride 3 days a week, so I think the days off have helped.

I have been putting a bandaid on it when I ride and been okay. If that is not working for you, perhaps use two gauze pads so they rub on each other as you ride and not on your boo boo?

Unfortunately, the healing process has been a real pain (literally and figuratively) since the sore is right below the inner bend of my knee. I feel like my day to day movements are making the healing process a bit longer, but at least it was much more comfortable within the week.

If you can ride in chaps at home a pull on knee brace will add some more padding and help stop continuing rubs until its healed. Also, mole skin or duo-derm may help for under the boot/breeches. I hate putting bandaids and such on b/c they get all crinkly and ride up and are worthless.

Seconding the EquiFit gel bands.... I used to have chronic sores like this on my inner calves/where the stirrup crosses my shin. They are the only things to prevent it in the 15 years I've been trying!

You may also want to try the anti-blister stuff runners use. I put it on the back of my foot/Achilles where the back of your shoe rubs and it works great. May help for your inner knees as well. The kind I use comes in a little package that is similar to stick deodorant, but smaller. Here is one: http://www.drscholls.com/Products/Bl...iFrictionStick

Good luck.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Dr. Schole's (sp?)Moleskin, paddocks and half chaps or wrap your legs with polo wraps-(poor man's chaps!)

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I ride in boots/breeches normally, but after reading the excellent suggestions (thank you!!) I think Saturday's attire will be: paddocks/half chaps + neoprene knee brace (have a pair of those) with a sizable bandaid protecting the half-healed sore. I powered through the pain at the show (even winning two classes--go me!), but without the adrenaline and focus of the show environment, it is too ouchy to ride in for a lesson.

Comingback--sounds like we have a similar riding pattern and boo boo! I hope yours gets better soon. I too found that the day-to-day movement of my leg is hindering healing.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

The same thing happened to me last summer.. I rode 3-5 horses a day so it took a while to fully heal. I found that covering it in Vaseline and a bandaid helped to stop it from getting worse and keep it fairly comfortable.

The worst saddle sores I ever had led me to the best bandaid, ever.... Advanced Healing (by BandAid). They form a gel pocket over the wound and really help with comfort AND speed healing. Stays on about 3 days, through showers and riding.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

For blisters, I really really like using those 2nd skin burn pads - they're gel-like and cooling, don't stick to the blister, and cushion any impact the area might get. If it's small enough, use that with a band-aid over, or gauze works if it's bigger.

I had a similar problem with friction burns across my shins when we moved to a climate that is hotter and more humid than I was used to. I second whoever said take a couple days off and let it air out. The other thing that helped me was knee-highs- since yours is on the inside of your knee, could you cut the leg off an old pair of stockings and wear it from your thigh to your ankle? That extra more slippery layer, while hot, made all the difference to keep from getting the burns. I only got them the first year we lived here, then I guess my skin adjusted.

Get some better breeches for hot weather. Fits are not the ideal breach for hot weather for many people because of their fabric, patch design and fit.

Once you're healed experiment with a cotton blend (even 50-60% cotton is usually plenty) or any wicking summer fabrics. Fits are super breeches, but the synthetic fabric so many of them are made out of, stretchy patches, a design that often removes a sliver of knee patch at the inside/back of the knee to keep the patch from folding up on itself when the rider bends their knee- presumably to minimize bulk under the knee, and super stretchy, forgiving fabric of the breech itself... can be a bad combination.

Saddle sores and rubs come from friction. I avoid them by wearing breeches, boots or chaps that STAY PUT on my body. If there's even a little wiggle room in my half chaps or tall boots I'll get off my horse with quarter-sized welts on both shins. I live in cantral Texas, it's upwards of 80 degrees here 9-10 months a year, and upwards of 90 for at least 6. I have never used that monkey butt powder- simply never had a need for it.

Experiment with different breeches. For the willow-y body type I'd suggest Tailored Sportsman be the first thing you try- the knees are typically tight in this brand, and they have some that machine wash and horseshow well at their lower price point. For almost any other body type I'd look at Pikeur- they make tons of cuts and styles. There's a few others that make great technical breeches, but my summer go-to in the heat we get here are those two.

Also consider that your new tall boots might be part of the cause too. You said you struggled with getting them to zip the last little bit- generally in new zip-on boots one would not force the top of the zipper closed until the boots had started to break in and drop. If you close them all the way before this a rider can create a break in the top of the boot as it pushes against the back of the thigh, get blisters on the back of the knee from the top of the boot, AND it can push breeches up at the knee as the new boot wants to sit taller than it will broken in.

Just a couple thoughts- because you shouldn't be getting sores like that in what the PNW calls "heat" if I can avoid them in Texas.
    friend of bar.ka.

I get these from time to time in a similar place. They're quite painful but mine have never been bad enough to not ride...a few minutes in to the ride and I stop feeling it. Taking the breeches off and showering, however, is less than pleasant. I've never tried to do anything for these since it's a tricky area, but use neosporin and make sure they get plenty of air when I'm off the horse (wear shorts when I get home and while sleeping, etc).

For other areas, I swear by athletic tape. Once my hands were rubbed raw (hot weather + riding several a day that taught me the meaning of heavy) and I thought I wasn't going to be able to ride...my boss had no sympathy but recommended athletic tape.

Hurts like a sonofa taking it off, but man does it work as a second skin and it doesn't wear off. That's my go-to for blisters and rubs, just not sure if it would work behind the knee.

And I ditto the whole breeches fit thing...I usually only get these when wearing breeches that are a little big around the knee with my boots that are a touch tall.

Good luck!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

I use liquid bandaid. I get them all the time, riding race horses for a living. They are just a part of life, dose not make them hurt any less.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by Flypony View Post
    I use liquid bandaid. I get them all the time, riding race horses for a living. They are just a part of life, dose not make them hurt any less.
    I use the same. I too get these quite often. I haven't really found anything that makes it more comfortable...I have just found that a liquid bandaid prevents it from getting any worse. I find that at first it's quite painful, but by the time I'm jumping and my adrenaline is up a bit, I don't notice it as much.