The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question for Holsteiner breeders...

If I have an AHHA main mare book mare am I solely limited to AHHA approved, current activated stallions or could I breed to a verband approved stallion as well (to produce an AHHA foal)? I assume there would be an activation fee for those stallions that aren't currently listed as "activated" on the AHHA website? I had trouble opening the rule book document on the AHHA website so haven't been able to read through it yet.

Veband approved is A-OK. Yes there is an activation fee - just can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

1 members found this post helpful.

As long as they are not standing on NA soil. If a Verband approved stallion is standing on NA soil he must be AHHA approved as well. If not, you'll have to register the foal outside the registry. I think you can petition him in but your best bet is to call the office directly.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

are you able to reference where this is in the breeding rules? it may be so, but i admit i am not familiar with this rule. i had believed if a stallion was verband approved it did recieve full reciprocity with ahha, no?

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    As long as they are not standing on NA soil. If a Verband approved stallion is standing on NA soil he must be AHHA approved as well. If not, you'll have to register the foal outside the registry. I think you can petition him in but your best bet is to call the office directly.

It's what I was told with regards to a Verband approved stallion here in the US I have put mares too. He'd have to be looked at by AHHA.

So I just opened the rule book. Does he fall under this rule? "Those Holsteiner stallions having been successfully approved and bonited by the German Holsteiner Verband, but not yet completing any of the other stallion requirements will be eligible for a Temporary Breeding Permit..."

For a Permanent license they must complete a stallion performance test and achieve certain scores or be included by their performance record. I don't have those requirements at hand right now.

If he has been fully approved by the Verband (with performance requirements meeting AHHA standards) he is eligible for a permanent license regardless of where he stands.
    Last edited by LisaO; May. 10, 2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typos

Lisa, I sent you a pm.

If the stallion is fully verband approved, you are fine. The easiest thing, however, is to call up the AHHA office. Patricia Donahue is great - and if she does not know the answer right off the bat, she will do research and will check with the breeding committee chair.

andras is right... patricia can help, or breeding cte folks... but from where i'm sitting there would - and should - never be an occasion where a stallion which michael and the kore commission approved in neumunster which then has to come and be presented to michael and arlene again here.

if it didn't complete performance/testing, it does not lose the approved status given by the verband, and may require to achieve those things here - the ahha version - within a given timeframe to upgrade the temporary license or risk losing it.

but give initial approval here what's already been approved there? i do not believe that is accurate.

1 members found this post helpful.

This particular stallion did the 70 day with good scores, has offspring in EU at the 1.40 and higher levels and did jump around 1.60. I am unsure of bonits though. That might be the kicker.

Thanks everyone for the info!