The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Speak to me of rat/mouse poison.

Theres a large population of rats/mice in the barn area and a considerable issue in the feed room as well. My vet suggested getting the poison that comes in green pellets that come in small pouches, and putting them out in barn and feed room. Apparently the mice/rats then chew through the pouch, eat the green pellets and die. I have 2 dogs that tend to find deer hides and chew on them. Im assuming that if they found a dead mouse/rat they would chew on those as well. My question is...will the poison that the mice/rats eat and die from, affect my dogs if they chew the carcass. I would not intentionally let them chew on a dead mouse/rat, but they do spend a little time outside without immediate supervision.

YES. I experienced first hand what can happen when you're not looking and your dog chews on a rodent that ingested rat poison. It's not good. It was a horrible death (of my family's very beloved family lab... on Thanksgiving), and there was very little that vets could do to save her once she was showing enough symptoms to indicate what had happened. After experiencing that, I will NEVER use rat poison on my property, or bring my dogs in an area where it was used. There are other alternatives. Good luck!

4 members found this post helpful.

If you have any other pets who could possibly even maybe get at the rat poison, dont use it! Not worth it. My best friend's dog almost died after ingesting some a few years ago. It was kept behind a fridge in a corner and she STILL found it somehow.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSjumper View Post
    YES. I experienced first hand what can happen when you're not looking and your dog chews on a rodent that ingested rat poison. It's not good. It was a horrible death (of my family's very beloved family lab... on Thanksgiving), and there was very little that vets could do to save her once she was showing enough symptoms to indicate what had happened. After experiencing that, I will NEVER use rat poison on my property, or bring my dogs in an area where it was used. There are other alternatives. Good luck!
    Thank you! This was exactly the info I needed. Poo, now off to think of a better way to get rid of the critters.
    Last edited by SonicBoom; May. 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: posted accidentally without finishing my sentance

Ditto the above posters. Although relay toxicosis is less likely to occur with some types of rodent poison, I still wouldn't risk it.

b/c the buggers are getting more & more resistant, the toxins they use now are even more toxic than poisons used in the past (a more poisonous poison!), most have NO antidote. and, when you dispose of the carcass, the poison remains in environment.

cats & terriers are all natural solutions.

I think JSwan recommended an electrocuting trap-it sounded pretty humane-you might search for the thread.

I tried one of those electrocution traps... the mice took the bait, and went home laughing at it.

The only thing that has worked for me is the spring traps. I have a model that is really easy to set and easy to release the remains for disposal. (I have never been able to figure out how to set those old time wood-base spring traps!)

Peanut butter smeared on snap traps work as well as anything else. I hate to say it, but even though it's yucky to clean up, it does kill them very quickly.

That being said, cats work best. We used snap traps to keep our dogs safe, but resorted to a barn cat. Make sure it's a tame spayed female. Females don't stray as far as males. Just set her up in a huge dog crate or tack room for a week with food, water, litter box and attention and then let her out when she knows where home is.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by JeanM View Post
    I tried one of those electrocution traps... the mice took the bait, and went home laughing at it.
    If the "one of those" wasn't the actual "RatZapper", I'm not surprised it didn't work. I bought a cheaper "electrocution" trap at TSC, and it didn't do a thing.

However, I then purchased a RatZapper, and "zap!", no more rodents. I actually heard a mouse get zapped one morning, and it was literally over in a second. One quick "zzzzztttt!", and dead mouse. Don't know how long it took with the rat I also found dead in my Zapper, but it sure cleared my barn of everything.

MUCH more humane than "bleeding out" via poisons, and no chance of secondary poisoning. The "zapped" rodents, I simply take (in the Zapper) to a boundary fence and let fall out. The bodies are usually scavenged and gone in a day or two.

I got mine on Amazon, and they do have larger, more powerful versions than mine:
    http://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-RZ2.../dp/B002665ZTC

Just be sure to keep the batteries are fresh.

ETA - the bait I use are those Dumor Raisin, Oatmeal and Honey horse cookies from TSC. Rodents LOVE them.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I think a cat (or two) is your best bet...

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    I think a cat (or two) is your best bet...
    I had barn cats (two, both strays who decided my barn was a nice place to live). Both were promptly neutered. One disappeared 1.5 years later; the other became a house cat after becoming very sick; vet suspected sickness came from consuming part of a rabbit (the body of which I found in my garage, minus the head). I also still had the occasional mouse in the barn.

Barn-turned-house-cat has been VERY happy living 24/7 indoors for the past 13 years (he's 15 now). I do have a couple neighbors with free-roaming cats, but my barn still got infested with mice until I bought the RatZapper.

I have found it tons easier and CHEAPER to buy fresh batteries for my Zapper trap than shell out for vet bills (vaccinations, expensive tapeworm meds, wound/sickness treatments), flea treatments, etc., plus no worries about finding a torn-up cat or wondering what happened to it when/if s/he disappears. Lastly, no worries about having to finish off a half-dead mouse the cat(s) played with and got tired of before putting it out its misery.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Horrible stuff. A definite no for me for all the reasons mentioned above. And I can't in good conscience put a cat outside because (a) I'm a wildlife biologist and they kill a billion songbirds a year or worse and (b) putting small pets outside unsupervised risks their life and health in many ways. If ferals showed up, they could be neutered and left to live out there life, but I cannot PUT a cat out there.

I do, however, LOVE my snakey friends, raptors, and now, thanks to another poster on here, I WANT A WEASEL!

My barn kitties have always been good mousers and don't really seem to care about the song birds. I have bird feeders out all winter and the cats don't seem to notice the feeding birds. But I keep my kitties pretty well fed. They catch the mice for the fun of playing with them and after the mice are "broken" they often just leave them lay for me to pick up and dispose of. I'm sure that a kitty that didn't have a nice barn full of mice would hunt more areas where birds are nesting though.

It actually WAS a "RatZapper"! perhaps it was defective...?

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    If the "one of those" wasn't the actual "RatZapper", I'm not surprised it didn't work. I bought a cheaper "electrocution" trap at TSC, and it didn't do a thing.

However, I then purchased a RatZapper, and "zap!", no more rodents. I actually heard a mouse get zapped one morning, and it was literally over in a second. One quick "zzzzztttt!", and dead mouse. Don't know how long it took with the rat I also found dead in my Zapper, but it sure cleared my barn of everything.

MUCH more humane than "bleeding out" via poisons, and no chance of secondary poisoning. The "zapped" rodents, I simply take (in the Zapper) to a boundary fence and let fall out. The bodies are usually scavenged and gone in a day or two.

I got mine on Amazon, and they do have larger, more powerful versions than mine:
    http://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-RZ2.../dp/B002665ZTC

Just be sure to keep the batteries are fresh.

ETA - the bait I use are those Dumor Raisin, Oatmeal and Honey horse cookies from TSC. Rodents LOVE them.

I have a black box and put their green food inside. They go in, eat, leave and die.

I would never use the scatter packages. I have never had those to work. I only put them in my attic. Somebody can carry away the package out of your control and then what. Dogs, cat, horse eats it.

I got my box thingy from TSC. I think it is by TomCat.

Not to mention you will kill owls and hawks that pick up the poisoned rodents (and these birds of prey are voracious varmint hunters-- they're the LAST type of critter you want to harm). I'd put your energy into rodent-proofing the feedroom, or just the containers if the former is too daunting. Removing the plentiful food source will go a long way towards control, and barn cats are very effective too.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

i'm glad to see you've decided against the poison. my mom just lost her favorite barn cat bc one of the neighbors put rat poison in the barn without telling anyone. it was really upsetting.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

I would NEVER put rat poison down in an area where there are animals. Actually, I wouldn't put rat poison down *period* because I don't think it's a humane death for the rat.

But, seriously, I just dealt with this last weekend--friend who lives @ my barn called me saying her dog had just coughed up blood, we rushed it to the emergency vet, and while consulting the vet, I mentioned that our BO had put rat poison down recently. Sure enough, the poor dog had practically no clotting factors and her right lung was full of blood. Her vet bill was significant (in the thousands), although of course my friend is grateful that at least it didn't cost her dog its life.

NOT worth it!

I'm not a fan of poison or glue or snap traps. I understand that people need to eradicate pests, but none of those are humane (snap traps are if they snap on the right spot, but sometimes they don't).

I don't kill anything, but if I had to use something to kill mice, a very strong electro trap that is well maintained would be my choice.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.