The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Connie training questions, with video!

So this is Arty, coming 4 year old Connemara COTH helped convince me to get! So far he's been great to work with, we've had plenty of saddle fitting woes which have set us back but we're pushing through. This video is him ~5 weeks under saddle. Since I am not extremely financially well off and can't afford lessons very often, I thought I'd come to COTH and see if I could get any tips! Just curious as to how you think he's doing, and what exercises I should use to get him working better. He does lateral quite well at the walk (my mom didn't really get any footage at this gait)...should I be moving leg yielding up to the trot or focus on other things first? Any tips would be super. I know I wasn't riding great today, just came off a rugby game and was exhausted but my mom hardly ever comes out so I put her to good use! Here's the video link, thanks in advance for any training/ riding/ progressing tips you may have!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny_bZqcdC0c

He looks terrific and relaxed for 5 weeks under saddle! Nailed those flying lead changes!

Yeah for getting the saddle fit problems behind you. For my own cobby built Connemara I ended up with a Black Country saddle with a hoop tree. That fixed all my saddle fit problems.

I so love this horse! I love my connemara/tb and they are just such fun. I think you look great and he has really progressed. He doesn't seem to care too much about the other horse who looks a bit wired up

I think he looks great (and MUCH better than Belle at that age), and not leaning on the left rein as much as I expected from your other post (I did see a LITTLE bit of it).

I do not know if it is a distortion of the video, but he looks a little "quick", especailly at the trot.

I would probably introduce more transitions ,and more circles/spirals before introducin lateral work at the troot.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thanks for the encouraging words, so nice to hear! Unfortunately our saddle woes are not behind us, this is a friends dressage saddle and the only thing I've found so far to fit him. Ill have to try a black country..everything so far has interfered with his shoulder movement. As for his left rein issues, he's gotten a lot better with that with all the haunches in/ out and leg yielding at the walk I've been doing with him! As for transitions and circles, we do a lot of those to keep him focused though my mom didn't get too much footage. Thanks all
    Last edited by horsenic; May. 9, 2013 at 05:10 PM.

Do you have a timeline for when you hope to flip him? Might inform the training ideas/tips. What a cutie! Agree he looks like he's carrying himself more now than in his sale vids you linked, which were already pretty nice for his age, so I'm guessing you're on the right track!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Love him and love the way you ride him. The only thing I can think of is that I'd work on slowing your posting and slowing his tempo some at the trot, with transitions within the trot (bring him back then send him forward). He is laterally a bit stiff (you can see this when he swings his hind end around on the circle) which is normal for his level of development. Also: Focus on keeping his shoulders straight and getting him to leg yield on the circle. He is one that you will want to encourage to go long and low... for 5-10 minutes or so.

Once he connects front to back more, I bet you will have a superb mover. He is really nice.

Thank you! I agree I do need to slow his tempo more at the trot..haven't been focusing on this enough as I just love that he enjoys being forward so young! Thanks for the tips, defs will work on them as we're gonna be stuck.with dressage for a while due to no jumping saddle! My original goal when I bought him was to sell in the fall, which is still my goal unless we see he's going to be a super star and maybe make Training, then I may keep him for another year. He sure is a fun little horse to ride though

Quote Originally Posted by horsenic View Post
    Thank you! I agree I do need to slow his tempo more at the trot..haven't been focusing on this enough as I just love that he enjoys being forward so young! Thanks for the tips, defs will work on them as we're gonna be stuck.with dressage for a while due to no jumping saddle! My original goal when I bought him was to sell in the fall, which is still my goal unless we see he's going to be a super star and maybe make Training, then I may keep him for another year. He sure is a fun little horse to ride though
    What do you mean, "make training?" If you mean be capable of training level... heck yea! He's a connemara! He will probably be capable of much more and will probably be able to trot around a training level course with his eyes shut!

Ann (lover of all things connemara)

2 members found this post helpful.

Ha, connemara's laugh at training level. He looks very athletic and capable of being a super good jumper. I don't think you will be limited by his talent but he should hopefully fill up your bank account nicely if you do decide to resell him.

Whoops haha I mean if he's going to make a Prelim pony? Not too familiar with the breed so I didn't know what I should be expecting, he does love to jump though! We'll see where the summer takes us. I wish he was a bit older, since he's just coming four I'm scared to push him too hard and potentially injure his growing little body! Where would you max out a 4 year old connie re. eventing/ jumping heights this year?

Check with your vet wrt his physical maturity.

In the mental/coordiantion part goes smoothly (so you don't have to do a LOT of schooling over fences to get there), it is perfectly plausible to be doing Trainng by the end of the year.

On the other hand, there would be nothing wrong with doing BN all year if that is what he needs to gain confidence.

You have to play it by ear and listen to the horse.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Check with your vet wrt his physical maturity.

In the mental/coordiantion part goes smoothly (so you don't have to do a LOT of schooling over fences to get there), it is perfectly plausible to be doing Trainng by the end of the year.

On the other hand, there would be nothing wrong with doing BN all year if that is what he needs to gain confidence.

You have to play it by ear and listen to the horse.
    This.

I LOVE him! I have had two students who evented Connemara crosses (one a Conn/TB, one a Conn/QH--both grey mares ), and they are lovely horses, great natural paces and fantastic jumping ability. Good brains, but since they are MARES (ahem, cough), they are quirky and opinionated at times. You are lucky this guy is a "boy", he seems incredibly level-headed, and has a nice natural "engine" and balance--along with great gaits. As Janet said, I would work on slowing the tempo a bit, he is a little quick (in the trot, not the canter.) Encourage him to stretch over his topline a bit, since he seems pretty compact--short neck and back; sometimes horses like this hold tension in their toplines and "ball up", so encouraging an elastic stretch to the bridle (with a slightly longer rein, while maintaining contact and a connection) will be good for him, as will asking for a slightly slower tempo, while not sacrificing the forward I suspect he is still barefoot, and has great feet??

You are going to SELL him???! Hmmm. (Where are you located??)

Yes, use your jumping miles wisely at this age. Small grids and easy courses, encouraging that wonderful natural forward, while gradually working him up to sitting, waiting, and pushing off the ground a bit more (with the gymnastics), which will strengthen his HQ without excessive repetitive pounding (as in cantering him over jump after jump after jump, ala the hunters. )

Best of luck with him, wow, he is one nice young horse (and you ride him very well!)
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

1 members found this post helpful.

Lovely!

I would just slow your posting down at the trot.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

My own personal trick (modified from one of my instructors who used App-uh-loo-sa for the sme purpose).

As we trot, I say (aloud ) Conn-eh-marr-ah, ideally at the rhythm I want to keep, and in time with the horse's footfalls. If I find that the horse is making me speed up the words, I give a half halt. If that doesn't slow down the words as much as I want, I make a balanced transition to a walk, an start over.
    Janet

2 members found this post helpful.

He is adorable. Feel free to send him my direction.

Haha, will definitely be using those rhythm and pace tips! Thank you, and for the encouraging words! He's a super little guy and I'm excited to see where he'll go. Training is definitely not the goal for this year, I feel that would be pushing him a little fast. I'm thinking entry (2'9") for most of the year and maaybe a pre-training by the end (3'). Yes unfortunately he will be for sale, I'm going to be a university student coming up and will not have much time. Though I'm up in Alberta, Canada, far far away from where most people seem to be in the states! Super excited to see where he goes this summer, first x-country schooling is next week

I love how forward he is! He is happy in his work, too.

The only thing that I see with your position is that you carry your left hand much lower than your right. You do this both directions, so it is not just a tracking to the left issue. When you do this, it acts as a block. Your right arm and elbow are so soft and correct. See if you can match the left with it? I agree with adding more transitions and school figures to his routine.

Other than that, keep up the good work! I wish that I could afford a horse like him. He is lovely.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for bringing that up, I noticed the hand thing when I watched the video a few more times. Definitely have to start watching that. He actually wasn't bad price wise, but I caught the breeder at a time she wanted him moved because she had some horses coming in. Definitely feel I lucked out a bit with him though