The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Is there a COTH Moody Mare Support Group?....

If not, I could sooo be president. My one filly is terribly sweet...as long as you keep away from her ears. My other filly was a lap dog in the winter, but she is a piss pot now! I just added Raspberry Leaves four days ago though, and just yesterday she let me rub on her while she was eating, and without pinning her ears, so I am cautiously optimistic! I am thinking though that she will even out as she matures, and her workload increases.

Anyone else with Moody Mares? If so, what all have you tried, and has anything helped?

Ugh, yes. My mare absolutely hates me sometimes! I can be riding her bareback one day, and the next day she'll go out of her way to try and stomp on my feet or kick me in the shin. Her name's Hannah and we call it her alter ego Helga. It's like she's bipolar! One day she's running to me in the pasture and the next day she's running away. So confusing!
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

If not, sign me up as your first new member! Do bitchy mares count? Since their moody/bitchy behavior lasts year-round (or at least when it suits them), I haven't found anything that improves it. Maybe I'll hear something here...

With 3 mares, 2 of them chestnuts, I didn't select my user name randomly!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

2 members found this post helpful.

If mine is having one of her "Touch Me Not!!" days, I don't push my luck. She gets groomed, tacked, longed lightly, and turned back out. 3 days from now she'll be a whole different girl . . .

(The geldings do not get away with this).

My mare is a total laid back sweet heart 99% of the time. Then there is that 1% of the time when she is in season and loses her brain. She isn't mean towards me, and really doesn't do anything horrible, but she loses her focus and can just be a brat. And picking a battle about it is the worst thing you can do. These are the days that if she is happy in front, I just let her lead the trail ride. We can work on her patience next week. Luckily, this week, we are back to our quiet, happy self.

I was thinking of trying raspberry leaves and looked up some threads on here. I'm just not sure it happens enough to worry about.

1 members found this post helpful.

Join club Regumate. I am a charter member.

3 members found this post helpful.

3 members found this post helpful.

My last pony was "whiny". I actually put her on SmartMare and the whininess went away. Maybe I was just imagining it but I swear it worked.

My current mare is opinionated and can be grumpy. I also swear the SmartMare is helping her!

I did inquire about regumate, my vet warned against it saying that it can make some mares worse and he does not recommend it for young mares if it's not clearly a cycling issue. He says it only works on mares that are great and clearly become horrible and uncomfortable only when they are coming in and out of season. The hormones can have negative effects in young mares if it's just a personality/training issue.

Me too me too! Mine is not so terrible, but she is definitely a mare. She is not a fan of cuddling, or really unnecessary touching ever. And that includes any touching of her chest and belly But besides that, she is a rock solid horse under saddle. She demands perfection from the rider, but will never buck or kick or do anything nasty. She just simply won't do something unless asked correctly. It's funny to watch her just keep trotting when her leasee asks for a canter (hehe)

I do not use any mare supplements because of all the drug regulations with showing... I mean some are definitely legal I just don't feel like going through all of the ingredients and checking which ones. Nor do I think my mare is bad enough where I need them. I keep a watch on her digestive system, and overall happiness level, and that keeps things in line pretty well. Her heats can get bad but if they are I just make sure she's turned out alone so she doesn't hurt herself or other horse.

Also a chestnut mare owner. My mare can be crabby. When she was younger my trainer requested that she be on Regumate all the time. When I moved barns and was more involved in my mare's care, I took her off the Regumate. I didn't feel like it helped the problems I was having which was spooking and being very high and flighty. I started her on Moody Mare herbal supplement, kept her on 24/7 turnout, and after a couple of months, my mare was a changed girl. I can rarely tell when she is in season. I basically have the same steady horse the majority of the time. Even if we haven't ridden for days due to bad weather, I think nothing of taking her out on a trail ride without riding in the ring or lunging her first. She may be a little frisky, and do a few very slight spooks, but nothing that feels unsafe.

For those who have used Raspberry Leaves, what was the dosage you used? Right now I am giving her 1/4 packed cup,once a day,as a loading dose, then I will go down to a heaping Tbs.

In my cubicle reading the forum instead of working!

Default Club DEPO

Some have success w/ Mare Magic--but Depo or Regumate are a surefire way to combat "marishness." I had a mare who was very hateful towards people, but loved other horses. I had to go in her stall w/ a crop (once she knew you had a weapon, she was fine) and get her in the field w/ handful of grain and a whip. She would go into heat and be disgustingly lovey (weird horse--and she liked to be twitched.) She was pleasant and easy at shows though, knew her job. But around that "time" I think her ovaries caused pain and when I put leg on there were some bucks. The Depo took all the ridiculousness down a few notches and made her easier to deal with. The bucking subsided and her aggression was much less.
    "Life is tough. I recommend getting a manicure and a really cute helmet."

Mare Magic works for me. Come to think of it, maybe I should take some myself.

Wow! They both look good now!

Make sure you keep them clean. That means cleaning their rear ends and udders to make sure there is not a build up of grime and all. I clean my mare every day. Buildup in the center of the udder can cause them to feel badly, as well as the crud on their rear ends and hind legs.

I've never had trouble with any of the mares I've ever know being moody towards me. Now geldings, that's another story.

Thanks - I love my girls!

I agree about keeping them clean. Here in Ga, our ticks are so bad, that I just clean them everyday, when I flyspray them - that way it only takes a few seconds, and I can check for ticks, and spray all at once.

Count me in I love my girl but she can do a 180 in < 24 hours. One day - total sweetie pie and the next fire breathing don't touch me temper tantrum beast.

For my young mare, raspberry leaves are very helpful for her cycles. My older mare, however, requires depo provera shots to keep sane in the spring and summer. She was acting downright batty and if she wasn't 25 years old I would have looked into spaying her. Her behavior included anorexia for days while cycling, along with pacing, and extreme distraction. The depo has helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    For those who have used Raspberry Leaves, what was the dosage you used? Right now I am giving her 1/4 packed cup,once a day,as a loading dose, then I will go down to a heaping Tbs.
    1/4 cup of leaves packed for 28 days then 2T packed daily as a maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    1/4 cup of leaves packed for 28 days then 2T packed daily as a maintenance.

Thanks!