The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I don't ever ride alone. I just don't want to take the risk...

I still live at home though, so my mom usually goes with me and rides or just works in the barn while I ride. If she doesn't go then I beg my boyfriend to go with me. And if that doesn't work then I just usually long line. It's a pain not being able to ride whenever I want to or when I have time to, but I guess I'd rather have someone close by that could help me if something happened, rather than being alone in a barn for a couple hours with an injury.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I ride alone or nearly alone (even if my husband is home, his hearing is so bad that there's no way he'd hear me) most of the time. Luckily, I'm in full sight of the road and my neighbors. Still, I make full use of the longe line rather than riding through green bean antics.

I keep my cell in a belt holder, and I find it the least distracting if I attach it to the belt in the middle of my back. This only backfired once--I came off a bolting horse in a cinder block indoor arena and somehow hit the wall with my back, which smashed the phone and left me with a nice chip in my coccyx.

Remember that you need to be identifiable if the worst happens. I have significant drug allergies, so I always wear my Road ID. I have the Wrist ID Slim, which is the same size as a cause bracelet. It has my name, year of birth, "No pcn/e-mycin" (No penicillin or erythromycin), and a 1-800 number and PIN to access my electronic medical record.

You can get the bracelet in several different colors and switch them out as much as you want. It never comes off my wrist, so I have it on a black bracelet. It's 18 bucks plus a nominal subscription fee to maintain the medical record.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Risk always needs to be managed.

If you're working unreliable stock (young stuff; problem horses; rehab horses; etc.) then solo riding is probably assuming a very large risk.

If you're schooling dead broke horses in an indoor arena then the risk is relatively low.

If you're somewhere in-between...then you're somewhere in-between.

Cell phones are nice, but problematical. As noted they can be broken. Or you can be disabled on the side where the cell phone is. I wonder if something like this might be a better idea:

http://www.medicalguardian.com/ppc-T...FYNx4AodiR0AAQ

I wouldn't wear a lavalier but rather pin the device to a shirt or vest on the upper chest near the centerline of the body (so that you can push the button from the widest range of positions).

Here's another listing with reviews:

http://medical-alert-systems-review.toptenreviews.com/

Riding alone is not inherently dangerous. There are just fewer "helping resources" if things go south.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I do the text or call check-in. Riding alone is a fact of life for me with horses at home and small kids, if I want to ride at all.

The other things I do include sending my young horse out for 60 days training instead of backing him myself alone, and being friendly enough with the neighbors to ask them to come check on me if they see a riderless horse in my ring and no sign of me, as my ring is visible from the road (though still, it is a decent distance). That is not very reliable as a backup plan, but is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    I don't ever ride alone. I just don't want to take the risk...

I still live at home though, so my mom usually goes with me and rides or just works in the barn while I ride. If she doesn't go then I beg my boyfriend to go with me. And if that doesn't work then I just usually long line. It's a pain not being able to ride whenever I want to or when I have time to, but I guess I'd rather have someone close by that could help me if something happened, rather than being alone in a barn for a couple hours with an injury.
    Thank-you

Even with the most trustworthy of horse, accidents happen

It's tough. I dislike riding alone, but I do so on occasion. I take what precautions I reasonably can. I always wear a helmet and almost always wear a vest. I carry my phone at all times. Yes, it could break, but my safety is more important. If a horse is acting wild or it's cold/windy I have a lower threshold for longing before getting on. I do my best to get the youngsters ridden when I'm not alone.

There was a period of time when I was riding alone quite a bit, and it had a negative effect on my riding/training. More of my rides ended up being "conservative" rides since I was alone, and that meant that my horses didn't progress as much. This might not be the case for everyone, but I found that I was more relaxed to ride and train well when I had other people around.

Don't get most of us wrong, clanter. I would love to have someone to ride with. I can even supply a horse if anyone wants to volunteer. but riding alone is a reality for many of us with horses at home (and in my case, 2 jobs, a farm, a preschooler and a newborn...I ride ANY time I get a spare half hour and someone else is watching the kids.

In addition to my post above, I wear a helmet and vest but not because I ride alone...I wear them when there are people here too.

Life is unpredictable, folks.

Me driving 50+ miles every day on an interstate is dangerous.

My DH is an electrician who worked some 270v wiring (hot) this week- that **** will kill you deader than dead. He climbs ridiculous ladders, works ridiculous stuff, and is sometimes alone on a job site.

Surgeons work on diseased patients every day. One nick could change your life. Shoot, a needle stick accident at work could permanently alter one's life.

So- saddle your own horse. Your good horse. Use good tack in good condition. Make reasonable choices. Wear a helmet and good foot wear.

And go ride your horse.

3 members found this post helpful.

Maybe I'm a rarity, but I love riding alone. In addition to Google Latitude on my phone that I mentioned before, I also ALWAYS wear a helmet, and this winter invested in a vest. Haven't been out on the trails yet this spring, as the snow JUST went away in the bush, but should be going out the for the first time next week. I also have a "dog tag" attached to my saddle, that lists my name and phone number, horse/farm owner name and number as well as my DH's name and number. Thanks for the reminder about the Road ID, Sing Song - DH has one he always wears when he's biking, and I've been meaning to get one for myself. Time to order that!

1 members found this post helpful.

You are not alone, NWRider, just lonely on this thread. I love a good solo ride, just love it. You get so dialed in

I had no other options but to ride alone when I was younger. I just did it. it was nice to go with others to explore new places but not required.

Nowadays I have so many responsibilities and my DH worries so much it is really hard to get out. And my trainer, of all people!, was really bad about it, telling me that I did not have permission to ride alone while boarding there - too dangerous she said - but she also runs a full service model show barn where clients ride only in shows or lessons.

So I ride when my DH is working outside and we can check in with each other one way or another.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Riding alone has its dangers - but also its rewards!

When I was a teen, we had a wake up call in our town. A local rider and BO took her horse on a trailride one morning. She got dumped and broke her leg badly. Instead of running home, horse stopped in a field and ate grass. BO actually had boarders come and go that day, but they had no idea anything was wrong. It wasnt until dinner time that SO figured out that she was missing. By then she had tried to crawl home, further damaging the leg

In those pre-cellphone days, calling after falling off wasnt an option. Virtually every boarding barn in the area after that had a ride board (Some already had them). Riders were supposed to write time out and destination on it and either erase or time in (depending on the kind of board). Those in private barns did that at least and many also started to call before and after rides.

As I board, I have just relied on that when the stable has enough people around to actually notice. Arena riding wasnt as much of an issue. However at some of the smaller quieter stables, you could wait for a while for somebody to notice you. The one time I came off my current horse I wasnt badly hurt but bruised ribs and had the wind knocked out of me. I remember trying to breathe and thinking "Its three hours until feeding time!"

I live alone so I have been having more of those "what if" thoughts even without riding. And I dont always have my cell phone on my person. Ah well, life is a risk. Each of us just needs to decide what is reasonable and what is too much risk.

I often ride alone. When I ride out on trails, I usually strap cell to leg, that's about it.

I grew up riding alone in the NW Montana wilderness, bareback and barefooted half the time on my part. My parents never knew where I was-they were at work! I'm amazed sometimes to think of the places I went and the things I did with just that little TWH/QH gelding, he should have been plated in gold. I remember loping along a trail and hearing something to the right of us and there was a black bear, loping right along with us! I pulled up and she crossed in front of me and kept on going... my horse never even flinched.

It's hard for me to get too fussy about it now except where my daughter is concerned, I prefer she wears her helmet and give me an idea of where she is but I trust her judgement. I would still ride alone no problem without even thinking of it-my problem is getting away from everyone else to go!

Most of the time if I want to ride I have to ride alone. I have a GGT arena next to the road, wear a helmet, don't try anything new and exciting and carry my phone in my bra. It's not fail safe but close enough. The phone is water resistant.

But there WAS the time I slipped in the garage
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I ride alone at least half the time. I wear a helmet, carry a cell phone on my person and use common sense. If I had to wait until I had someone to ride with, I would hardly ever ride.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

If I put my cell phone in my bra it would be my biggest boob!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MsM View Post
    If I put my cell phone in my bra it would be my biggest boob!
    Hey, I love having that 'problem' -- I can ride without a bra and not get a black eye, ROFL!

I tried that last week for the first time, and it came right out the bottom when I started posting. I don't get it??
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I ride alone at least half the time. I wear a helmet, carry a cell phone on my person and use common sense. If I had to wait until I had someone to ride with, I would hardly ever ride.
    This.