The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have an old style indestructable "Boulder" flip phone. I've carried it in my sports bra when I didn't have pockets on warm days when I wasn't wearing a jacket with zipper pockets. It's one of the reasons I don't want a new smart phone!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I rode alone for years but if I was at all hesitant about the horse or something else, I'd just call a friend and ask that if I didn't call back in say 45 minutes to call 911 to come and pick up the pieces.

Since I lived alone I also made certain I wasn't riding some foolish young green bean either!

The idea of texting is a great one and you must have someone else you can text since SO is out of town. Just give yourself a reasonable timeline. The police in my area seem to have a great response time when I've had reason to call 911.

Before I retired, I also used to tell my secretary at work that if I hadn't called in to say I was running late or taking vacation, sick time, etc. and hadn't shown up by a certain time to call 911 and send them to my place.

Good luck, you'll find a suitable plan.

^^^^^ This. I have done the texting thing. From experience- make sure your ringer is on and you don't leave your phone somewhere, or the cops or ambulance will show up. Ask me how I know.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

2 members found this post helpful.

My daughter sends me video shots of her rides lol while I'm at work!
    I ride alone quite a bit, I will usually let someone know where I plan to be and a general time. They can call me if they don't hear from me by the time they should and then go from there. On those rides, I just make sure I have my phone on me and then I go, I don't worry too much about it.
    Kerri

You can buy products for backcountry trekking that automatically email/text people, give your precise location, and send out SOS signals if you don't "check in."

My brother uses one on his trips, http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=101

I think he has a different brand now, not exactly sure, but it used to send a message regularly through Gmail that let you "see" where he was on Googlemaps, which was kind of neat...since he was usually clinging to the side of some rockface.

This would be my pick for riding, especially if cell phone service was spotty. The nice part about stuff designed for climbers is that it is typically very tough, weather resistant, portable and light. And generally made to be operable with one hand. Stuff designed for backcountry use is also generally made so that you don't need to recharge it frequently.

As for carrying my phone, I love the Spibelt. They also make ankle and arm band versions.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

It gets to about a bazillion degrees here, too, although we don't normally have the humidity you have on the coast.

I actually carry our house phone as it has a long enough range to reach into my 'redneck arena' (aka the front yard). I figure if it breaks, it is cheaper to replace. I have stuffed it in a pocket, stuffed it into the waistband of my breeches, or worn it in a fannypack (I don't like that one as much because the fanny pack flops around).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I ride alone much of the time. If I'm riding a horse that worries me or I'll be gone a long time, I will text my husband. I worry that i'd forget to text him back so I don't do it every ride.

I always carry a phone on my person when I ride. I tuck mine into my boot.

I ride in a populated area which may give me a false sense of security.

Twice riders I know have called me because they'd had a bad fall and were either injured or afraid to try to get up. It was lucky each of them had a phone on them.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I put my cell phone in my sports bra. Easy access if needed. Can play music if I want to hear it. Granted it is an enell bra, so nothing moves. It is the only place I trust my iphone or my keys if needed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    If anyone finds that "been still too long app" please share it. That sounds like a good deal that could be used for many things.
    I found it, it's called "rider SOS" or something (I've already forgotten) available on Android at least for $8, but the reviews are not that great. It appears the app has a lot of false alarms, thinking you're still when you're not. You have a way to override it, but apparently the warning alarm is quite loud. One review said the warning siren spooked her horse and he threw her. That's the definition of defeating the purpose, IMO.

Thanks all for the tips about phone holsters. It did not occur to me that runners would require similar. I've thought about shoving it down my half chaps, but with the humidity down here I sweat buckets and have honest fears of drowning it that way.

yeah...its one of those things where: we KNOW in ideal circumstances, it is NOT a good idea. but....add me to those who: have found myself at a time in my life, when, I want to 'ride out'...I'm most often by myself and had to come to grips with : can either go for it or not. So....I try to let hubby (at work ) know my plans...I try to also alert BOs (still boarding for now) that I'm going out...where...when...and try to let em all know when I'm back safe. I too, have to admit, I have come to L O V E the wonderful perfect days when I can ride out, just myself and my horse. Its different. Its really something I treasure.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I'm not sure what kind of phone you have, but if they make an Otter Box or Lifeproof case that comes with a belt holster clipmabob, I'd invest in that. Hubby got his iPhone run over by a tank while he was in Iraq and it was in the Otter Box... totally scratch free and worked just fine! It also survived numerous IED related blowups. I clip mine to the top of my boot/half chap and the clip is really secure, but it will dent your boot! I don't like the arm bands that I've tried, just because they always seem to fall down when I sweat. I make sure that the screen of the phone is facing inwards for the best shot at it surviving a fall.

I have two green mares, and always call/text hubby before and after, even if I'm just lunging or messing around with them. He takes his job pretty seriously. If hubby isn't around, I call my Mom.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

I ride alone 99% of time- and 99% I haul out to ride trails. I let me husband know where I'm headed and approx. when I should be back and I keep my cell on my not on my horse (I have a small phone that fits into the leg holder thingy someone posted). I find the biggest thing is that I don't take unnecessary risks by myself and I listen to my gut- if my head is screaming, hey this doesn't seem like I great idea, then I don't do it.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

DH and I both have Google Latitude loaded on our phones. We're both supposed to start it if either of us goes out alone (me on horses, him on the highway on his bike). I put my phone in one of these to protect from sweat and/or rain. DH prefers to use a zip lock lunch baggie (less bulky for his bike jersey pocket- he uses another one as his "wallet" - only slightly embarrassing if we go somewhere after and he hasn't switched back to a regular wallet). So far we haven't had to exercise it for either of us - fingers crossed that it stays that way.

I do as Tabula said. And I ride alone a lot.

I've heard about an app, horse rider sos, which texts someone when you are immobile for a period of time. http://www.horseridersos.com

My strategy is still pretty low-tech, I write a note on our white board about where I'm going and expected return... and carry the phone with me. Thankfully our neighborhood is very horse-oriented... people tend to notice a horse trotting home without a rider...and our ring has 3 or 4 homes within sight...

When my daughter is out hacking, I use the "find my iPhone" app to see where she is...

I hate riding alone . I find myself imaging all the horrible scenarios that can happen...

I do the text before/after thing. It helps a little bit, but honestly, I'm more likely to pester friends to come with me, which is uber boring for them, buuuuuut...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

A phone is not much good if you are knocked unconscious. If somebody finds you really hurt it is good to have i.d. on yourself and also your horse for when he shows up at the horse-trailer. Hopefully someone will come and look for the other part of the pair.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    A phone is not much good if you are knocked unconscious. If somebody finds you really hurt it is good to have i.d. on yourself and also your horse for when he shows up at the horse-trailer. Hopefully someone will come and look for the other part of the pair.
    Actually if you have an iPhone and someone knows your iTunes password, they can activate the find my iphone feature and find you on the map.

Some wireless carriers also allow for GPS tracking of phone for a fee.

I ride alone frequently and always carry my cell phone strapped to my belt. I don't take stupid risks (hacking out alone when the temp dropped 20 degrees in the past hour and the wind is blowing 40 mph) and I always wear my helmet. I've texted my husband before getting on if for some reason I think it's necessary but basically I hack out or alone in the arena and don't think twice about it.

As long as I'm not knocked unconscious I can call 911 in case of an emergency.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a device that is kind of like On Star for people. Called 5 Star. Just press a button and someone comes on the line to ask if you are ok. They will send help and it has GPS so they can find you, even out in a field. You can give them emergency contacts etc when you register so they can contact someone for you. Also enables your family to "ping" you if you are out of touch for a long time so they can find you. Costs about $20 a month but I figure it is good insurance. Much smaller than my phone and has a clip for a belt or a clip that could go around a bra strap, belt loop etc.

Our daughter rides a lot by herself. She lives at the end of a long driveway. She texts when getting on and off. I am only four country miles away so I can quickly check up if it gets to be too long. When she lived in a different state I had the address of where she was riding and a bunch of numbers to start calling if I needed to.

My husband was in a horse accident riding by himself last June. It was a total fluke his cell phone worked and that he could call and tell me where he was. Cell phone was damaged and cell service is pretty sketchy in that spot.

I would have been looking for him shortly because I knew about where he would have been but it would have taken a lot longer to find him without his cell as I would have gone a different way to get there. The horse ran home so that would have also told me there was a problem but I wouldn't have found him quite so quickly. His injuries were quite time sensitive. He usually didn't carry his phone so good thing I nagged about it .............

Lesson: Don't count on your cell working. Let a real person know where you are going and when you expect to be back.