The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default riding at home by yourself

I'm finally a couple weeks away from bringing my show horse home. I was planning to board him where I had access to an arena, but the arena at the current place is a swamp for two days after it rains, which means I can only get him out once or twice a week. Since I can't turn him out at this place, he's coming home where he can get plenty of turnout.

I don't have an arena, but I have places high & dry in my fields where I can easily ride. My only concern is that my SO is living in a different state for work until mid-July, so I'm hesitant to ride when no one else is at home. I've ridden at boarding places by myself a lot before, and have always just texted my SO that I'm getting on, and text him when I get off, so he knows that if I don't text him when I'm off in a certain amount of time, something is wrong.

I have very helpful neighbors, but riding at home with no one coming to do chores later that may find me (like at a boarding place) just feels different and more dangerous. Thoughts? Do you ride at home by yourself? If so, what precautions do you take?

I think your texting idea is brilliant!

I ride at home by myself a great deal, both on the quiet roads, on trails and in the fields. I carry my cell phone, but that's about it (which is iffy, anyway, with poor coverage).

I remember hearing about an app designed for riders that sends an alarm if you are still for too long. You set up the notification numbers and if you get dumped/can't get yourself back home, it contacts them. Seems like a good idea, but I don't have the right kind of phone service, and I'm not sure it would work out here in the boonies.

But it might be worth checking into.
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

2 members found this post helpful.

I do the text thing ! I have to ride at home, on my own too. DH is home by evening ..( But he would probably not think to go look for me until midnight )

I don't text every ride - not now. But I do keep my phone on, and I do text if I'm riding a new horse, turning out a new horse, or backing a youngster.

btw, you're not bringing this one horse home alone are you ? that was my biggest mistake when moving horses home, not the riding part. That's the part that got me hurt.

I ride alone regularly. I just let someone know when I'm getting on and when I'm getting off. I have a gps thing on my phone, so that my husband or whoever can ping my location if I disappear. I love, love, love riding alone, so this is the best compromise of safety and joy that I can manage.

Thanks for the input! I'll have to look into apps and the GPS app you mentioned, katyb. I did not even think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Wooten View Post
    btw, you're not bringing this one horse home alone are you ? that was my biggest mistake when moving horses home, not the riding part. That's the part that got me hurt.
    Alone as in the only horse? No; I have my two retirees home already. Alone as in I'll be by myself, yes.

1 members found this post helpful.

I rode alone for years but if I was at all hesitant about the horse or something else, I'd just call a friend and ask that if I didn't call back in say 45 minutes to call 911 to come and pick up the pieces.

Since I lived alone I also made certain I wasn't riding some foolish young green bean either!

The idea of texting is a great one and you must have someone else you can text since SO is out of town. Just give yourself a reasonable timeline. The police in my area seem to have a great response time when I've had reason to call 911.

Before I retired, I also used to tell my secretary at work that if I hadn't called in to say I was running late or taking vacation, sick time, etc. and hadn't shown up by a certain time to call 911 and send them to my place.

Good luck, you'll find a suitable plan.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I ride alone frequently as my husband travels for work about 90% of the time. We do the texting thing too. I have also agreed not to get onto the less experienced horses we have without him or someone else being around. BUT, that being said, accidents can happen on the most broke, experienced horses. I always wear a helmet and try to ride with the attitude that things could go wrong and I need to really "ride"- not just be a passenger.

I ride by myself all the time and don't take any precautions - but the texting idea is good, as is carrying a cell phone (ringer turned off) while you're riding in case you need to call 911.
    Sandy in Fla.

I call my husband before a ride, tell him how long I should be riding, and call him back when I get off. Once or twice I haven't gotten done in time and he's done his job - he calls to check on me.

Once when he wasn't available, I set up the same deal with a friend.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

For those of you who carry phones while you ride, do you have any suggestions for how to do so? I'm on the gulf coast where it gets to a bagillion degrees in the summer, so I wear minimal clothing (summer breeches, tank tops), so I don't have pockets. I also have a fear of if I fall and land on the phone, it'll break and then I'll really be up a creek.

The texting idea is nice...just don't forget your "confirmation" message after a ride!

And be sure to ride with your cell phone in a belt holster or otherwise "on your person", so that if you do have a problem, you have a way to contact folks within reach. A belt and a holster isn't going to add to the heat factor. There are also phone holders that can strap to your arm or leg if you prefer. Never put it in a bag on your tack...if the horse goes bye-bye...you don't have anything that was still attached to said horse.

I too ride at home alone. On one hand I hate it because of all of the "what ifs" but on the other hand I love it because its just me and my horse. I too carry my cell phone should anything happen. I bought a cell phone holder from a local tack shop that velcros around my upper arm. I'll try to find a pic of it...

Could you maybe work out a deal with one of your neighbors? Let them know your SO is out of town and your unsure about riding alone. Could you call or text them instead while SO is out of town?

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    For those of you who carry phones while you ride, do you have any suggestions for how to do so? I'm on the gulf coast where it gets to a bagillion degrees in the summer, so I wear minimal clothing (summer breeches, tank tops), so I don't have pockets. I also have a fear of if I fall and land on the phone, it'll break and then I'll really be up a creek.
    how about one of these?

http://www.doversaddlery.com/large-c...dvbb45xiuzjs45

I usually shove mine down the side of my half chaps but I know thats not ideal
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

It's so funny how times change. It wasn't too many years ago, pre-cell phone, that I rode over hell and high water out here in the rural countryside all by myself on my broke to death horses and didn't give it a second thought other than to be home before it got too dark. Now, like the OP, I hesitate to ride in my dinky ring out back if my husband isn't home.

My newest cell phone is too big to fit in most holders so in hot weather I use my breeches that have nice deep pockets- which are hard to find. In the cooler months I tuck in a jacket pocket that has a zipper.

If anyone finds that "been still too long app" please share it. That sounds like a good deal that could be used for many things.

Get a phone holder for your arm or leg - you can buy the ones that runners use or get one special for your boot (I've seen one at Smartpak though it looks like it would only fit a flip phone: http://reviews.smartpakequine.com/74...submissionTime)

I have ridden alone since before the Cell Phone Era.

I have always done the call before/after thing. I tell the person where I'm going and give myself a lot of time plus make it simple. As in, "I'm riding ViciousWild in my back field. If I haven't called you back in 3 hours, call 911."

The first time, the person might be alarmed. But after that it's easy. They don't have to do anything: It's between me, ViciousWild and the 911 pros.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Walmart, the sleeve that goes on your arm for an I-pod for runners. My Andriod fits into it perfectly, it was $19.00, and it stays put on my arm. I turn my ringer off when I'm riding so the phone ringing does scare the shat out of my gelding, who would probably proceed with bolting and/or bucking.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Best Buy, Walmart and so on sell various phone holders that you strap on your leg or arm.

That phone app looks pretty neat. I might try that!

I have a case for my phone that comes with a belt clip. I hate not having a belt clip. I really only use it around the barn and riding but you can't beat it. I just got the CaseMate Phantom for my iPhone. I love it way more than the Otterbox.

Anyway... Yes, I've ridden alone at home since I was a kid. Of course, back then I didn't think twice about it. Now, if on a new horse I text my DH, on my mare sometimes I'll text, sometimes I won't, but he knows the general time I'll be out there and if he hasn't heard from me in a while he would start to worry. I don't think about it too much. You'll get more comfortable with it as you do it more.