The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Interview attire?

Hey all! I wasn't sure where to post this, I hope this is okay.

I have a video interview tomorrow for a position as a Police Stable Manager, and I didn't know what appropriate attire would be. I think a blazer is too formal for the job, but I'm not so sure that a polo is dressed up enough.

Any suggestions?

Male or female attire?

Whats listed for your responsibilities? That may make a difference for your attire. Are you are in the office mostly or are you mucking stalls as well?

Khakis, a button down shirt or polo shirt, shoes you can wear to the barn, and a neat sweater or jacket (depending on temperatures) would show respect for the interviewer, but allow you to go on a tour of the facilities.

If you think khakis would be to dressed up, you could wear jeans, but they would need to not be faded, shredded or otherwise showing wear (even if you bought them new looking that way).

If you wear boots or paddock boots to the interview make sure they are cleaned and shined.

Good luck on the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Male or female attire?
    You're going to be interviewed by police officers. This suggests very conservative attire, appropriate to the job category. "Coat and tie" (or the female equivalent) would be out of place. "Boots and jeans" also would not be the best choice. Something in the middle would work. For a female, I'd suggest slacks over a skirt. That just might be my bias' talking, but it just seems more appropriate.

Make sure your shoes are clean, preferably polished. That communicates "attention to detail."

Spend some on personal grooming. That also communicates "attention to detail."

Good luck in your interview!

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

If it's a video interview (where they'll only see from the shoulders up), I'd go with a button down collared shirt in a conservative color that is well ironed/starched. Conservative hair and minimal jewelry/makeup. Make sure your backdrop is bare/not distracting (sit against a wall so that your whole living room isn't on display) and, if you have pets, put them in a separate room so they will not be seen/heard while you're online. Good luck!
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I would wear an oxford-cloth button-down shirt, clean and pressed, over a polo shirt with the collar showing for color. I'd wear neat, pressed khakis and shiny paddock boots with a conservative horsey belt.

If it's cold enough for a jacket, I'd wear a tweed hacking jacket or blazer. No blingy anything and only tiny stud earrings if your ears are pierced. Dignity, sincerity and quiet competence are what you want to project. Good Luck!

I would wear a white shirt with a collar under a lightweight v neck sweater. Nothing else.

Barefoot and naked from the waist down.

They won't see your pants or skirt and shoes anyway.

4 members found this post helpful.

Two suggestions: I've always been told to dress a step above the job you're applying for. If the dress code for the job is business casual for example, you interview in business formal (i.e. a suit). Like others have said, you will probably end up dressing several levels below that on the job, but you can't go wrong dressing up for the interview. If you're (to you) overdressed, no one will think anything of it - it is an interview, after all, and you are trying to make a good impression. If you're dressed down, they might think you're sloppy, lazy, disrespectful, not serious about the position, etc. Better to err on the side of too formal.

Secondly, police departments are notoriously conservative (even in communities that are less so). Having just gone through the interview process myself, I can verify that from first-hand experience. Dress more formally, muted colors, hair neat (pulled back if long, research shows that people with long hair pulled back are taken more seriously than those with hair loose, even if qualifications are the same), minimal jewelry. Not necessarily related to appearance, but more demeanor: chain of command and respect for authority are also big things in this culture. I'm sure you will, but go out of your way to be polite and respectful while also presenting yourself as confident and qualified for the position. A "sir" or "ma'am" never hurt anyone; neither did being sure to sincerely thank everyone for their time and the opportunity to speak to them about the position Good luck!