The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I have your opinions on these two horses?

I am searching for a horse of my own and I found two that really caught my eye. What do you think of them? Good and bad please I need some constructive criticism of them!

I am an intermediate/advanced rider and I've ridden many different types of horses. I'm looking for one I can have a lot of fun on, that goes english and western (a little), jumping definitely, good on trails, not spooky and quiet but will still move forward, and a bit of a project would be great. I want to be a horse trainer some day.

http://www.horseclicks.com/gorgeous_...7403?op=photos

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-2832208.html

Do you they're both worth looking at? They're both about 1 1/2hrs away from me so I want to make sure they're worth the trip.

Go look at both of them. The only way to judge suitability is to ride them.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I would not buy an unregistered QH. There are serious genetic issues, such as HYPP, that you cannot tell without a genetic test. I am always suspicious of QHs sold without papers. They do not have to look like halter horses to carry HYPP.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

If you like the quarter horse make an offer pending a negative HYPP test. You could either just pay for it or write it in the sale contract somehow.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

The TB mare sounds like a fun horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

From the pictures, I question if the black is really 15.3 hands, looks smaller, not that may make any difference.

The mare looks lovely and is much further along.
    If you are looking for a project to turn over, she is already a known quantity.

If you want a horse to fit you and have fun with, you need to try them both for size.
    No one can tell you that from ads and pictures.

It is fun to look at horses and even more so when you find one that you smile just thinking about being around it and going to work with it.
    That is priceless, good luck.

2 members found this post helpful.

I had the hypp test done for $30. No big deal.

I'd collect a mane sample myself and contact UC Davis, which does the official testing for the AQHA. I would also have a farrier evaluation. I'm still gunshy of unregistered QHs, but if UCD will do the testing for you, that could work.

Both horses should get a full lameness evaluation and, possibly, x-rays. OTTBs, for obvious reasons, but you should also consider navicular screening for the QH.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Both seem worth looking at.

1.5 hours is nothing. That being said, there are some red flags in the QH ad (needs a confident, intermediate rider means there are might be some issues, Parelli, ridden in a bitless because that is what he prefers). The TB looks more solid whereas the QH may have some quirks.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    1.5 hours is nothing. That being said, there are some red flags in the QH ad (needs a confident, intermediate rider means there are might be some issues, Parelli, ridden in a bitless because that is what he prefers). The TB looks more solid whereas the QH may have some quirks.
    Ok, I will add to that the black seems to not know how to travel, is way behind the bit and not soft on the poll, but his neck on several pictures seems to break about the 4/5th vertebra, a very hard bad habit to correct.
    I imagine that is what she means with him being rather forward if asked, he runs thru her hand, falling onto the forehand and rushing.
    It will take much correct work and leg to get him to learn not to fade and cheat your hand every time you want any contact.
    Then, pictures have been known to lie.

I don't understand how can they advertise the black as registered, when he doesn't has papers?

But, since you did want a project, he may fit your wishes.

I don't understand registered w/o papers either. Purebred without papers, yes... that's a concept I can understand. Get the HYPP test if you do like the horse.

I don't care for the black horse. I agree with Bluey and I don't like the way he lands after jumping. He almost trips. I would go for the bay with a vet check. I'm amazed she is so cheap. Where I live she would got for two or three times that. Have fun looking at them.

The black horse needs a lot of retraining frothe video. He needs to be taught seat and leg and less hand. I also believe his price is a little high (at least for my area) for a unreg qh that needs an intermediate rider. First I would ask what they mean by prefers bit less. What does he do different in the bitless bridle and has he had his teeth checked lately. The parelli training makes me cringe a bit as well. Sounds from the ad he will need to be ridden 4 to 5 times or so a week, don't know if you have that much time to work with him. He sounds a little hot but unless you go and look at him it's hard to say.

The mare seems further along but her price seems low for a jumper at that height and winning. I don't know if it has to do with her being hot, they do say intermediate rider and sounds like she will run through your hand a bit which you can work on. I would vet both but vet the mare well just because the price throws me off. Maybe your area is just a lot cheaper idk. Around here at the height shes jumping and winning even if a little hot your looking at 5 to 7k.

You want a project and I think they both will be somewhat a project horse because of some retraining so I'd go look at both and see in person and sit on them.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Assuming they're both sound, I like the mare better. I actually like the gelding too, he just has "good egg" vibe to me, but he looks to me like he's been ridden very incorrectly, tends to curl below/behind the bit, hasn't really been asked to go forward properly, and depending on how the parelli training has been done, that could be an issue too. I think he's worth looking at and could be a great, fun horse, but I think you'll have to spend a lot of time getting him going properly. The mare looks to me like she's been ridden by someone who isn't afraid of forward motion, so you'd have less to correct. She looks like a lot of fun! And if I was buying, I'd prefer this one as it looks like you could just get on and go and progress, rather than having to actively correct anything.

I don't think, in the gelding's case, that the wording on needing an intermediate rider, etc, necessarily is a red flag - I suspect based on the pictures that it's just when the horse gets any kind of momentum at all it might freak out his rider, whereas a more confident rider wouldn't think a thing of it and might even push for more forward.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseCrazyChick1234 View Post
    I am searching for a horse of my own and I found two that really caught my eye. What do you think of them? Good and bad please I need some constructive criticism of them!

I am an intermediate/advanced rider and I've ridden many different types of horses. I'm looking for one I can have a lot of fun on, that goes english and western (a little), jumping definitely, good on trails, not spooky and quiet but will still move forward, and a bit of a project would be great. I want to be a horse trainer some day.

http://www.horseclicks.com/gorgeous_...7403?op=photos

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-2832208.html

Do you they're both worth looking at? They're both about 1 1/2hrs away from me so I want to make sure they're worth the trip.
    I'd request video on the mare.

As for the gelding, you did say you wanted to be a trainer
    watch all his videos, he's been ridden/trained in some odd version of these are the bits I like from English type riding & these are the bits I like from Western type riding, soooooo my horse goes both English AND Western ...
    I suspect horse lacks any clear foundation, either English or Western, & this rider has taught him evasions.
    As a project, I'd prefer something unstarted, rather than untraining - depending on your skills & interests & how frequently you lesson, decide what you want to do

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Assuming they're both sound, I like the mare better. I actually like the gelding too, he just has "good egg" vibe to me, but he looks to me like he's been ridden very incorrectly, tends to curl below/behind the bit, hasn't really been asked to go forward properly, and depending on how the parelli training has been done, that could be an issue too. I think he's worth looking at and could be a great, fun horse, but I think you'll have to spend a lot of time getting him going properly. The mare looks to me like she's been ridden by someone who isn't afraid of forward motion, so you'd have less to correct. She looks like a lot of fun! And if I was buying, I'd prefer this one as it looks like you could just get on and go and progress, rather than having to actively correct anything.

I don't think, in the gelding's case, that the wording on needing an intermediate rider, etc, necessarily is a red flag - I suspect based on the pictures that it's just when the horse gets any kind of momentum at all it might freak out his rider, whereas a more confident rider wouldn't think a thing of it and might even push for more forward.
    I missed any videos, but I agree that the black is not that difficult a ride.
    He may just have a more clueless rider on board that thinks he is difficult.
    I think Caffeinated has it right, he may just be confused and green when it comes to standard riding basics, with some evasions learned from that.

The mare looks bracey in one picture, but it could be the picture taken at a bad moment.

The trouble with sale horse pictures taken showing problems is that generally means the seller doesn't really has any idea, so you have to see the horses and ride them in person, can't go by what you are told too much.

Always remember, any horse out there is for sale because someone else doesn't want it.
    It is truly "buyer beware", you have to figure on your own why the horse is for sale and if he will suit your goals.

Both are worth looking at them, I would say.
    You may like one of them, or just keep looking.

I assumed registered with no papers meant that the horse has been registered in the past but the current owner does not have papers for whatever reason (lost, never transferred from current owner, etc.) Moreover, it seems that many true black QHs tend to be Appendix bred as in my gelding's case.

They are both nice looking, but as other posters have said, it may come down to your individual preference if neither has major flaws when you actually look at them.

I actually really like the black horse. He is for sure a project type, so if you want something a bit more trained I'd not suggest him. He looks like he's not had a good foundation training wise. I think if he was taken back to the basics and asked to move more correctly he'd be really nice. The rider isn't exactly asking him for correctness in the video, so I bet someone who knows what they are doing could do a lot with him.

That said, no papers, his training-I'd not pay that price. Like others have said get him HYPP tested and vetted.

I like the mare too. She sounds like she has better training and she's been in the show ring.

It can't hurt to look at them both. If it were me and both vetted well and the HYPP was negative on the black horse, he'd be my pick.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

If they appeal to you, try them both. Only way you will ever know.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.