The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USHJA Wheeler Museum's Thoroughbred exhibit

Is anyone in the KY area and planning to go check out this exhibit? I've been watching the video tours and it looks GREAT...I wish I could get down there this summer to see it but it's just not in the cards for me (super bummed since I was really looking forward to it, especially because there are a few Nikki things in the jumper room!).

Here are some links to the video tour that Bill Rube and Jennie Carleton have been working on!

Hunter room: http://tinyurl.com/dxesaux
    Hunter breeding room: http://tinyurl.com/cnkqhgd
    Jumper room: http://tinyurl.com/ch2d5mo

Just wanted to put that out there, I've been following the exhibit's development on Facebook and it's so cool to see the final product!

Ditto!

I hope I get the chance to see it in person, but in the meantime, it's fantastic to see so much material available online. I loved the video of the Ox Ridge Grand Prix from the early 60s. So funny to see those horses trotting in the corners.

I was in Lexington for the Rolex **** - went to the museum after the cross-country. It is outstanding. So many great horses, memorabilia, etc. If you can get there, GO! Just wonderful.
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

If any COTHer goes and takes pictures for me of Nikki's setup, I will love you forever and make you fudge!

Edited to add a picture I took from the video tour, I'm so excited!
    Last edited by supershorty628; May. 9, 2013 at 09:17 AM.

Default FABULOUS exhibit!

Shorty, I went after Rolex, too and got there at 4:45. Even though USHJA was supposed to close at 5:00 the SUPER-nice receptionist let me hang around until nearly 5:30, mooning over the stuff in the exhibit. It was fabulous. I have to say quite a few things made me tear up, none more so than Ike's bridle with the rope noseband. I worshipped Rodney and Idle Dice as a kid and something about seeing a famous horse's headgear, be it a halter or bridle, just does it to me. That and the gold medals Touch of Class won at the LA Olympics. Amazing!

I did take photos but I'm afraid I don't know who your Nikki was. I'll PM you about getting you some anyway - maybe I caught some of her?

supershorty thank you for posting the links to the tours I just watched the hunter exhibit- what a trip though time! Some names I haven't thought about in many years, including poor Henry the Hawk.

Couple of beautiful photos of LordHelpUs. So many lovely horses!

I saw the exhibit in April and I'm so glad that I did. The photos and memorabilia are very well displayed with descriptions and interesting stories. Jet Run's saddle, Henry the Hawk's cooler, along with trunks and trophies from many TB wins.

Great chance to see how the jumps were constructed "back in the day" of the thoroughbred hunter. I hope that today's hunter derbies bring more TBs back to the winners circle!
    Last edited by Addison; May. 9, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
    friend of bar*ka

1 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone else besides me not get audio or only get spotty audio (it works in the beginning but then drops out) on these vids? I tried to watch the hunter one at home last night & got no audio after the intro, tried to watch the jumper one today at work and got no audio after the intro. 2 different computers/speaker systems, so I really don't think it's just me.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief