The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default poo problems.....

I've been taking my 5 year old warmblood to one day shows and clinics this year.....at every show he starts to poop on the trailer.....then poop all day long until it just runs down the back of his legs as a liquid.....I know that this is probably just nerves....but a some point I would like to do an overnight show....any suggestions?????

I might consider the following:

Treating him for omeprazole for a few days prior to and after travel.

Treating him for hind gut ulcers.

Adding a psylium product and/or a probiotic.

I'd not do all of those things at once, but try them singly to see if there is any change.

I don't understand what the runs have to do with an overnight show... I don't think your horse is sick- just nervous- maybe if he did some overnight shows he would relax and it wouldn't be so much of a problem. If you are concerned about what people might think- maybe put a little note on his stall card.

In my work as a commercial carriage driver- we often had new horses in training who would have the runs once hitched to the training cart and working (not in the stall overnight) It was a combination of excercise and stress as they acclimated to the new environment. The poop would slow down and become formed right along with the progress of the horse's training as he relaxed and got used to his new environment.

Do you have your own trailer? it is possible for you to go on small trailering outings or trail rides between the shows to give him more practice?

My horse gets "nervous poops" when we trailer, usually before we load. I started giving her Ulcerguard two days before, the day before, the day of, and the night of a show. It really did help immensely. I don't think she had ulcers per say, but she did definitely get some digestive stuff when we were showing. I noticed it helped her appetite at overnight shows as well.

The $ spent on preventative tubes was worth it!

I don't think he has ulcers, I think he's a young horse who's nervous when he gets on the trailer and just needs mileage. I've seen many, many horses like this over the years and by and large it's a non-problem. EVERYTHING is not ULCERS, folks!

Constantly surprised/appalled/fascinated by the propensity of COTH'ers to throw vast quantities of drugs at practically anything.

Ye. Gods!

2 members found this post helpful.

I would give a probiotic for overall help, not just when trailering. He is nervous, nervous horses poop. It's what they do.

My gelding hardly ever poops in the trailer...I think this just means that trailering is not a nerve wracking event for him...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."