The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Seriously, I'm tired of sex sells...who do they think their clientele are? Just a bit trashy IMO.

but those jeans...probably not for riding...they'd do a number on a saddle. I wanted to try a saddle at a show...never sat in a $4800 saddle...but I had jeans with some back pocket bling and they said sorry, a customer ruined one of their saddles with bling jeans. Yeah, someone ruined a wooden chair at my house with a pair of jeans with studs. NO ONE sits in my leather chair without a butt check!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Nope I would prefer them shown with riders, like BOB does, Shall I call up their latest issue.
    I know no one, other than a few Dressage Divas, that actually look like they could never even get a bit of hay on them. I am not saying it is bad for a fashion magazine, but for a horse catalog it does not work.
    Personally I would rather see this kind of ad
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/FITS_All...ches_p/617.htm
    Or better yet
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/Campeona...Inc_p/4265.htm
    But you can't see the pockets when the rider is on the horse. That's the whole point of the breeches.

Maybe they could have showed her dismounting? Or, better yet, show just her butt while she is bending over scrubbing a water trough. Or a "butt shot" over fences. Would those be better for a cover shot?

Seriously, though, I don't think she has a "come hither" look either. I honestly can't understand why anyone is taking offense. She's a pretty girl, and smiling at the camera. The pose is necessary to show the pockets.

The end.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    Seriously, I'm tired of sex sells...who do they think their clientele are? Just a bit trashy IMO.

but those jeans...probably not for riding...they'd do a number on a saddle. I wanted to try a saddle at a show...never sat in a $4800 saddle...but I had jeans with some back pocket bling and they said sorry, a customer ruined one of their saddles with bling jeans. Yeah, someone ruined a wooden chair at my house with a pair of jeans with studs. NO ONE sits in my leather chair without a butt check!
    I actually have some of those breeches...they were deeply discounted and I know that Goode Rider breeches fit me well, so I bought them. They aren't hard on the saddle at all, no damage (I have a couple of Devoucoux with calf seats, they aren't the hardiest things in the world), the denim is very soft and the stitching is soft. At 50, I feel a bit goofy with fancy stitching on my scrawny ass, but so what, they are very comfortable, fit well and wear well. Don't care .

2 members found this post helpful.

Really? That was the one this thread is about. lmao

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    All I can say is, for those of you who think the pose is benign, put yourself in that exact same pose, looking over your shoulder with your hair down, same down-tilt of the head and same smile, and perform that pose aimed at your vet. Or your farrier. Or the clerk at the feed store. Or any adult who is not your SO. Because it is just the cute, normal way you always interact with people, right?

As for those who say it is not that bad, I agree, in the sense that it is in line with what you would see in a Target ad. But it is also a statement of the way we are inundated with women posed as sex objects to the point where it is normal and unremarkable. Maybe that is what the OP was getting at; that and the idea that a horse tack catalog would seem to be a bastion against the unrelenting deluge of that kind of marketing.
    I read that part about doing that pose for your vet and cracked up laughing in the hotel lobby here in Xi'an, China. As if I didn't already have enough Chinese tourists staring at me in the lobby as it was!! Now I'm picturing myself doing that pose here and dying from stifling my laughter.... Ahhhmigawww, tears! Lolol!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    I read that part about doing that pose for your vet and cracked up laughing in the hotel lobby here in Xi'an, China. As if I didn't already have enough Chinese tourists staring at me in the lobby as it was!! Now I'm picturing myself doing that pose here and dying from stifling my laughter.... Ahhhmigawww, tears! Lolol!
    Yeah, I have to admit, I started laughing when I was typing it. Can only imagine the reaction...

If you want to stop the sexual exploitation of women, then complain about all the bra ads in the newspapers every day. I've always thought that was totally disgusting. The few ads of men in underwear are shown, but mostly it's women in bras. And the men don't have tight fitting underwear, LOL. I don't know about you guys, but I don't buy that many bras. And mine are only Victoria's Secret, because they don't run their ads in newspapers. And the company admits that it's clothing is sexy. Bra ads have always seemed to me to be demeaning to women, right out there in the newspaper. Doesn't help that men are always making comments about the bra ads.

If some of you want to eliminate all sex from advertising, you need to start with those ugly bra ads! I personally don't look at other women as sex objects. But I guess if you are unhappy in your own skin, you would look at other women competitively. Getting upset about a woman on the cover of the Dover sales catalogue is not going to help women advance in society. It's not sexploitation to put a good looking woman who looks happy on the cover of a catalogue. Whine about something that is important.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    If you want to stop the sexual exploitation of women, then complain about all the bra ads in the newspapers every day. I've always thought that was totally disgusting. The few ads of men in underwear are shown, but mostly it's women in bras. And the men don't have tight fitting underwear, LOL. I don't know about you guys, but I don't buy that many bras. And mine are only Victoria's Secret, because they don't run their ads in newspapers. And the company admits that it's clothing is sexy. Bra ads have always seemed to me to be demeaning to women, right out there in the newspaper. Doesn't help that men are always making comments about the bra ads.

If some of you want to eliminate all sex from advertising, you need to start with those ugly bra ads! I personally don't look at other women as sex objects. But I guess if you are unhappy in your own skin, you would look at other women competitively. Getting upset about a woman on the cover of the Dover sales catalogue is not going to help women advance in society. It's not sexploitation to put a good looking woman who looks happy on the cover of a catalogue. Whine about something that is important.
    You still DON'T get it do you.
    Who gives a rats patoot about ad's in Non horse catalogs, Yeah sure plenty of skin and sexy poses, so what else is new.
    THIS ad does not say horse. Sorry you are making more of it than need be.
    It is simple, Change the shot to her brushing her horse and looking over her shoulder wearing those breeches, See the dif?? Probably not.
    Carry on!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

Who actually wears skinny jeans and a 3/4 sleeve collared shirt to ride?
    Uh ....I do.

I prefer the skinny jeans because unlike most breeches they have back pockets that I can slip my cell phone into. Mine were $20.

No I do not SIT ON my back pockets when I ride. You can still see them. The phone comes along uncrushed.

I guess nothing "says horse" about my outfit that I am riding a horse around in then. I shall make sure to always be leading or otherwise within touching distance of a horse so that everybody understands I am there in my skinny jeans in a "horse" capacity and not a "ruin your children's innocence" capacity.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Are we for serious? Breeches and a collared shirt are slutty now???

Can someone please tell me what to wear to the barn instead?

I'm tired of sexing up the schooling rings at the horseshows.

I mean these are family events.
    ARGH!!!! Not work safe!!!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

For all of us saying "they don't know their market! Who are they marketing to??" --umm, yes they do, in somewhat alarming detail (thanks to Facebook, Google, and every other internet sites that track our every click and eyeball movement, and sell that data). That the ad turns you off, chances are you are simply not the market they're going for. Young, affluent women are marketing gold-- no mortgages or kids to make them think twice about splurging on breeches that will make them look good, or because last year's breeches look a little passe because of the pocket embroidery.
    I'm of course exaggerating their foolishness, but surely you can agree that impulsive buyers who value looking cute are a more lucrative demographic than mature, sensible, more conservative women who value practicality, durability, fit.

BUT, in glancing at the online catalog to see the picture, I did come across this one that looks eggregiously photoshopped to make her waist impossibly skinny. Or else she has a serious problem with spinal curvature.
    Now THAT does tick me off, and I think that stuff does negatively affect young women's self-image.

ETA: OK, just to make sure I'm not being a pearl-clutching old biddy, I just went and tried that photoshopped pose. Minus the beautiful long hair, and 18-yr-old body, I did manage to achieve a similar bend in my waist. So, despite being slightly painful, it is physically possible. I hereby retract my accusation of photoshopping. So glad no one was home to see me doing that. HA!
    Last edited by HungarianHippo; May. 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Eating crow
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

i have not seen the cover but if it is the goode rider girl in the jeans , i think she is quite cute, and not overly sexualized, if not , i reserve judgement til i have seen it, however i do agree that one does not have to overflow ones clothing to be attractive ( in general not relating to this pic)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    All I can say is, for those of you who think the pose is benign, put yourself in that exact same pose, looking over your shoulder with your hair down, same down-tilt of the head and same smile, and perform that pose aimed at your vet. Or your farrier. Or the clerk at the feed store. Or any adult who is not your SO. Because it is just the cute, normal way you always interact with people, right?
    Actually, we had a boarder who DID do this with her farrier. We knew she was at the barn to meet him when she showed up with eye makeup on and either her baboon-butt breeches (full seat) or jean breeches similar to what the model in question was wearing. She'd go over to his truck when he was done trimming her horses, and hang all over the truck door into his window and talk with him.

We got a good laugh out of watching her try to sex him up. He was like, 15 years younger.

My farrier is female, and I am straight and happily married... so I'm not game for trying it.

I'm STILL not offended by the cover photo.
    Alis volat propriis.

I'm apperantly out of it. What does "canoe me", "canoe you", or "the canoe look" mean??

BTW, I know a girl who looks just like her. She doesn't stick her butt out like that though - I'm going to guess the problem is with the photographers who are all asking their models to pose that way (like a cat in heat), no matter what they are modeling.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I'm apperantly out of it. What does "canoe me", "canoe you", or "the canoe look" mean??
    It's a COTH-ism, like "LOFF" or "Where's the fruitbat?" Thread below.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...noeing-anymore
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

How did I miss that? Thanks

Yeah, I got that catalog and said, "what the hell?!" I personally do not want to look at other women in sexy poses, and it doesn't do anything for me as far as selling something horse-related...I don't wear jeans either, and why on Earth I'd want to wear them on my English saddles and wear out the seat seams is just beyond me...unless Dover wants to sell more jeans and then eventually more saddles, it just didn't make sense to me. I personally hate any sort of clothes-shopping so advertising something on the catalog without a horse on it makes me less likely to want to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I would argue, while Dover is targeted towards women…. Women who look sexy and attractive sell clothes, even to other women.

Consciously, or subconsciously – Most consumers are going to be drawn to a sexy and attractive woman. Hey – if the breeches make her look amazing and sexy, desirable and attractive – maybe they will make YOU look amazing and sexy, desirable and attractive. Its basic psychology.

Putting a “plain” female in the breeches will not sell as many breeches. Posing the model in a less attractive pose, will likely sell less breeches. Heck – putting an “average” woman in the clothes will sell less breeches.

Consumers generally are NOT drawn to marketing that shows some one “just like them” – they are drawn to products that portray ideals in beauty and status – with the subconscious hope that the product, when purchased, will bring them that much closer to our cultural ideals.

Even if the model “appeals to males” – She will most likely appeal to females, as they want to appeal to males as well.

Female clothes models are thin, youthful and physically attractive for a reason – its what sells clothes to other women.

Is this surprising?
    I don't know that all of your logic is sound here...there are several clothing catalogs, at least one horse-related that I know of and probably more, that have built their business on selling to clients who are NOT young/sexy/skinny...who use models that are "just like them" but also have the clothing line geared toward those people. If a person does not fit the clothes like the model, they will not be able to buy and wear the clothing being modeled no matter how much they might want to...they're going to have to buy something that FITS. The average mature woman will usually not be able to buy something geared toward a skinny teeny-bopper and have it fit.

Several major retailers have made a hell of a lot of money by realizing this.

I can only imagine the horror on the face of any man who had to bear witness to me trying that pose in his presence.

As others have said, I don't find her actual outfit inappropriate, but it's the overall message that I receive from the ad that bothers me (to me it seems like an air-head "come hither and canoe me from behind while I giggle and flip my hair a lot" kind of thing), but maybe I am confusing the model with my mare, who is in season.

But, for those who are bothered with the ad, you might consider going to the Dover website and letting Dover know your thoughts. I did, just because to me the model looks like she's trying to be cute and sexy (and an airhead) and I do not want my adolescent daughter confusing horse time with being cute and sexy (and an airhead). I want her riding to be a respite from all that stuff, where it's just about her and the pony. I think the Dover representative whom I "chatted with" probably thinks I am crazy, but, no. I am just getting old and cantankerous, which is lots of fun. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Y'realize of course that all these comments mean our idea of "sexy" is a HORSE?
    Ah well..I always tell people I wanted a horse long before I wanted a man...not in the same way of course, but the statement retains its truth. I think most female equestrians could agree with that.