The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default LFG Question

As I'm not really familiar with how this usually works.... (Thank God, mostly healthy foals!)

Yesterday we lost our little filly, she was a "dummy" foal and despite all our efforts, did not make it through the night. The mare is OK luckily, this was her first baby.

Now for my question. We bought the mare in foal. The stallion does have an LFG. But since we were not the owners at the time she was bred, would we qualify for the re-breeding? Or does it not transfer to new owners?

Did you pay the stud fee or the old owner? There really is not rule that comes in to play here as a stallion owner can write their contract any way they want to. Most however want nice, live foals on the ground and will work with you even without a guarantee in my experience so you really need to start there and contact the stallion owner.

I bought a no guarantee season from an auction years ago and the mare aborted with placentitis. I didn't even think to request a rebreed, I just sent an email letting them know she aborted and they offered to let me rebreed which I did.

We didn't pay the stud fee, we just bought the mare after she was already like 4 months pregnant.

I do want to call the stallion owner, but I didn't want to sound too dumb, or like a jackass for even inquiring, as I wasn't sure how it's all supposed to work

It is a very large farm that stands the stallion, so I kinda expect them to stick to their contract. But figure it can't hurt to ask then. I think the contract said standing and nursing, will have to double check.

You don't know what the contract says. They could very well say in their contract that the LFG is transferable to a new owner so you have every reason to inquire. I forgot to say how sorry I was for your loss in my original post. Godspeed.

Just call and tell them what happened regardless of what it says in the contract. They may go outside of the contract and let you breed. We give a 30 day guarantee but we have gone outside that too to let mare owners breed back. It is true that most stallion owners want you to have a nice healthy offspring of their stallion and a happy customer.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Just call and tell them what happened regardless of what it says in the contract. They may go outside of the contract and let you breed. We give a 30 day guarantee but we have gone outside that too to let mare owners breed back. It is true that most stallion owners want you to have a nice healthy offspring of their stallion and a happy customer.
    This.

As a stallion owner, I would also go outside the contract to help out the mare owners. We want happy clients and healthy foals out there representing our stallion and their breeding program. :-)
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

1 members found this post helpful.

We had a stallion owner offer to re-breed a mare for free when we lost a 2 and half month old filly to an unknown illness. That was above and beyond a LFG guarantee.

This. It never hurts to ask and great stallion owners are often quite understanding and generous, even if their contract does not require it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post

Libera, if I were in your shoes I'd call the SO and inquire if the LFG is transferrable if pregnant mare was sold in foal but aborted under new ownership. It won't hurt to inquire in a friendly way. The SO should have some contract to look back in their file or you can show your papers proving your mare was bred to "so-so" stallion. I am so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss. How heartbreaking.

I have had a SO honor her contract years down the road, so I encourage you to inquire.

Also, thank you for posting, as I am selling a mare in foal and your posting reminds me that I should get some written acknowledgement from SO that the LFG transfers. I'm not too worried about it as the SO has been helpful in spreading the word that our mare is for sale. We'd appreciate hearing how this issue works out for you.

So sorry that you lost your foal. I lost one at 10 days who was born with a congenital defect. I had an LFG that stated foal stands and nurses. Well he did and I lost him at 10 days. Contract said foal stands and nurses and it was very definitely held to that. All I got was 'sorry'. Every contract is different, every SO is different.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!