The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suggestion on name for saddle fitting business.

So I am becoming a saddle fitter and need some naming help. I am going to be an independent so not associated with any particular brand. I am not a very creative person.

So far I am kind of leaning towards Jacobson's Saddle Fitting. I know it is not very creative, but I was thinking name association because it is my last name.

Otherwise Saddle Up by Ann Jacobson has been suggested.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

TIA

A Perfect Fit?
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

1 members found this post helpful.

Anyone else have an opinion?

'Fit-to-Sit' would be my choice.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I was thinking Perfect Fit as well
    and for business cards could always do something like
    Perfect Fit - Custom Saddle Fitting by Ann Jacobson, an independent fitter etc etc

I like "A Perfect Fit"! Hmmm...A Fine Fit? Fit for a King? Best Fit? Winning Fit? Fit to Win?

Think I still like "A Perfect Fit" best. Maybe without the "a"?
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I think the name should have saddler in it. I would not know what a perfect fit meant.

Maybe "Perfect Fit Saddlery"

I like perfect fit saddlery.

Winners circle saddlery
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

This is going to sound terrible, but as someone who hangs out with a lot of saddle fitters and their customers...I wouldn't name a saddle fitting business "Perfect Fit." I can just hear the irate, crazy customer on the phone saying "You call your business A PERFECT FIT and this isn't A PERFECT FIT so give me my money back!"

In other words, it's desirable to talk about "fitting." It's dangerous to talk about "perfect."

That said...I don't see what's so wrong with Jacobsen Saddle Fitting. "Saddle Up" is cute but could be easily mistaken as a trail riding or training business. And in my experience, saddle fitting customers could care less how cutesy your business' name is. It's more like picking a farrier or vet, less like picking a boarding barn or trainer. I've never once talked to a horse owner who said, "Oh yeah, that vet who saved my horse from a terrible colic? Can't remember his name. And I can't remember the name of the farrier who performed a miracle with glue-on shoes. And I can't remember the name of the saddle fitter who ended my 6-month hellish saddle search." If you're doing your job right, people will remember your name, especially since your name isn't particularly hard to spell or pronounce.

If your goal is to catch customers who are truly clueless about the saddle fitters in their area--and you will be shocked at how many folks are simply unaware of how to find a saddle fitter and end up on Google typing the phrase "Minnesota saddle fitter,"--try something really straightforward, like "Minnesota Saddle Fitting." At the very least, even if you go with something more catchy like Saddle Up by Ann Jacobsen, feature the phrase "Serving [fill in your coverage area here]" very prominently on your web site and business cards. You'd be amazed how many fitters fail to provide the basics on their adverts: your name, your coverage zone, whether you'll work on any brand of saddle, whether you also do repair services and which saddle brands you sell (if any).

That said, if you want to be cute, here's some names of successful/established saddle fitting businesses. Maybe you can borrow their techniques. For example, when you take "Advanced Saddle Fit" and break out a thesaurus, suddenly you've got all sorts of possibilities: Progressive Saddle Fit, Breakthrough Saddle Fit, Dynamic Saddle Fit, etc.

Embrace Saddle Fit
    A Desired Result Inc.
    Saddles 101
    The Saddle Doctor
    Fit-Right Saddle Service
    The Saddle Fitter (this is your local competitor, Cordia Pearson)
    Freedom Fittings
    Advanced Saddle Fit
    Palmer Equine (by saddle fitter Louise Palmer)

So glad you are doing this, OP.

I like Perfect Fit Saddlery.

Not that it's a great name for a professional, but please don't take The Armchair Saddler from me. I worked (not) hard on that name. If one does a search here, you might discover that the Armchair is positioned right next to my other business: "House of Duct Tape and Physical Therapy." That's meant for helping people who have made their horses sore with bad-fitting saddles and need a way to fix it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Saddle Savvy

"Small Miracles" Saddle Fitting.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

I like Jacobsen Saddle Fitting, too.

I like Jacobsen Saddle Fitting. I would not use the Perfect Fit because you might not always be perfect . It's an implied guarantee that you might find hard to live with.

When you are an independent, you are selling YOUR knowledge and expertise so it's appropriate to have your name as part of the business. It's also helpful if it's very clear from your name what you do.

I also agree that it's important to have your service area prominently listed.

As a long-time customer of the Saddle Dr. (Gary Severson) I think that if you have a name like that you also have to offer repairs as well as fitting.

Good luck with your business!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Thank you all for your help! My logic is kind of what jn4jenny has typed out, but wanted other opinions. I do not like Perfect Fit for the stated reasons and also I first think of a clothing store than saddle fitting. Cordia and I will be in the same service area. I do not want to be location specific because my husband is military.

MVP, do not worry, I will not take your name! I had give up hope of finding training and then one of the local saddle fitter offer to train me.

I am really leaning towards Jacobson's Saddle Fitting just for the "classic" feeling.

good points about using "perfect" I like Winning Fit, but for a business these days w/ internet searches it's always good to have the tag words so your easy to locate.. so the perfect fit for your name might just be the 'classic' Jacobson Saddle Fitting. Sometimes when you try to get all lofty and poetic the business gets lost in the name and the most important thing is for people to know what your business is. Congratulations on your endeavor and best of luck to you.

Have A Fit

Get Ahead, Have A Fit

As a dressage rider, the first thing that popped into my head was "Fit to Sit: Saddle fitting by Ann Jackobson". I like "Saddle Savvy", too. I don't dislike "Perfect Fit", and the perfect defense of complaints is that the problem is in the riding (I just don't see many complaints about a "perfect fit" not being "perfect" unless it is terrible, and I don't see the OP doing a terrible job). I don't like things such as "Saddle Doctor" unless you can repair the saddle as well as fit and flock it. Just my 2 cents!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Tailored Horse Saddles...

or

Custom Fit Saddles

I like the idea of your name (first or last) being in the business name as it shows a certain pride. I also think it will "Google" better.

Plus, Jabobson's Saddle Fitting is very self explanatory. No worries that people with think you make saddles or something! Plus, JSF is a good initial for logos. Your catch phrase could be "fit right by Jacobson's" That would look good on a saddle cover...

whatever name you do decide, I would make sure to google it...the more unique it is, the easier it will be to get to the top of the listings.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!