The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Second Thoughts

I've been seriously considering doing a breeding lease on a mare in the next few years to design my perfect baby. My heart horse is getting older and I would love to get a youngster with similar bloodlines to raise up by myself. I'm an experienced horse person with some experience with broodies and babies.

Recently I had a close friend do just this with her heart horse (a stud she's been riding for a while) and a very nice mare she free-leased. The resulting beautiful foal was born with severely contracted tendons and was PTS yesterday at 2 weeks. He had developed pressure sores that damaged his tendons and his poor compensated body just couldn't handle it anymore. She is obviously devastated and is seriously considering sending the mare home and not re-breeding and not being in horses for a while.

This has caused me second thoughts. I know breeding is not for the faint of heart, but neither is horse ownership in general. How does one come back from something that devastating? I would be heartbroken to put that much time, effort, and emotion into something that caused nothing but heartbreak. Any ideas? Is it worth it??

RIP little Archer. He was a kind, beautiful soul for his short time with us
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I have lost two foals, one to a concussion (mare stood up too soon) which gave normal clostridium bacteria opportunity to go on the rampage, another to a rare gastric birth defect. But my oldest homebred is 11, and packing kids around at Novice, and yesterday I saddled my 3yo for the first time, I have really high hopes for her as her half sister is my current UL horse and she is waaaay fancier (and immensely fancier than I could ever have afforded to buy). and that is just really fun.

Jennifer

The highs are way high but the lows are devastating. Only you can decide if the highs are worth the lows. If so, the only thing you can do is keep on keeping on. That is one good thing about the long gestation period, you have time to heal before the next foal is due.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys. I've never seen it go so wrong like that before. This will (maybe?) be the first horse that I've bred, as opposed to helping others.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate