The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Being safe in the sun around horses - sunglasses edition

If anyone has noticed, I'm on a journey to keep myself sun-free this summer!

I'm working at a well established over-night camp with a large equestrian program. I'll be teaching lessons or leading trail rides all day long. I've got my sun hat, UV shirts, and sunscreen.

I just need sunglasses.

I ordered a pair of Under Armor sunglasses and they were really small (I don't think I have a big head!), and let a lot of light in the tops and bottoms.

I've researched sunglasses and I know there should be 400 uv protection. I just can't find them!

I can't seem to filter for sun protection on Amazon, or Sunglass Hut or anything else.

Help?

A quick search found plenty of UV400 protection glasses, and cheap..

http://www.sunglasswarehouse.com/_search.php?q=uv400
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    I ordered a pair of Under Armor sunglasses and they were really small (I don't think I have a big head!), and let a lot of light in the tops and bottoms.
    They don't fit you.

My favorite is Maui Jim (I went Safari galloping across the plains and jumping holes and bushes in one of these pairs - they never moved one inch off my nose) but they aren't cheap. Whatever you get, you do need to try them on and make sure they fit your face.

do you have a reason to cover yourself from head to toe?

I am asking this as I am taking a handful of vitamins every morning to avoid feeling like death warmed over from D deficiency....

And I am also curious, why UV 400 sunglasses?
    I was under the impression that you just needed a 100% filter, to avoid damage to the eyes, due to the shaded lenses.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for your hunt tho.

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.nativeyewear.com/Technology-Eyegear

I really like this brand of glasses. I'm able to find them at reasonable prices ($40). They fit well and they have sizes and shapes for lots of faces.

I go through the summer with a tan line around my eyes because I wear sunglasses all the time.

One step further:

prescription sunglasses? That aren't $300 since they are going to the barn?

I can see well enough without my glasses but my perception is obviously better with my lenses on. I can't wear contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

I am asking this as I am taking a handful of vitamins every morning to avoid feeling like death warmed over from D deficiency....

I was under the impression that you just needed a 100% filter, to avoid damage to the eyes, due to the shaded lenses.

I had skin cancer on my face 2 years ago. I had to have really invasive surgery to remove it all. It went from the side of my nose all the way into my lip. It was terrible and my smile is still crooked and I have no feeling in the area.

With that aside, I've found that I squint really badly, so I end up giving myself a tension headache after being in the sun too long!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I had skin cancer on my face 2 years ago. I had to have really invasive surgery to remove it all. It went from the side of my nose all the way into my lip. It was terrible and my smile is still crooked and I have no feeling in the area.

With that aside, I've found that I squint really badly, so I end up giving myself a tension headache after being in the sun too long!!
    gotcha.

(I was not double guessing you, just wondering. It's a tightrope walk getting enough of one without getting hurt by the other)

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

If anyone has noticed, I'm on a journey to keep myself sun-free this summer!

I'm working at a well established over-night camp with a large equestrian program. I'll be teaching lessons or leading trail rides all day long. I've got my sun hat, UV shirts, and sunscreen.

I just need sunglasses.

I've researched sunglasses and I know there should be 400 uv protection. I just can't find them!

I can't seem to filter for sun protection on Amazon, or Sunglass Hut or anything else.

Help?
    Oakley's sunglasses meet your requirements with 100% UV blockage up to 400nm.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

100% UV blockage = UV blockage up to 400nm
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Oakley's sunglasses meet your requirements with 100% UV blockage up to 400nm.
    All styles?

All styles?
    As far as the lenses go, yes. But obviously, you want to get ones that offer more coverage of your face. The Radar/RadarLock frames are ideal for general Equestrian use and the Racing Jacket is perfect for Eventing. The Christiana Mall in Newark has an Oakley store that can assist you in finding a perfect fit as well as order any customized frames and lenses you want, including pink.

Look at the options on www.sierratradingpost.com
    I am horrible about losing sunglasses so am constantly buying new ones -- like good quality lenses, polarized, with UV protection. You have to spend a few minutes surfing through what they've got but you won't beat the prices.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

These are the best sunglasses for riding/working outside/driving that I've ever had. I may not be a "glamor do," but everything looks great to me!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Wow. I really want to know the true difference between a $300 pair of "design" glasses and a $20 pair (or less!)
    One would hope they wouldn't equip those cheap sunglasses with lenses that are not truly 100% filtering or that could be harmful to the eyes.
    So, is the price difference really just because of the brand / fad / design?
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

One of the bonuses to getting the designer glasses is the warranty that comes with them. In the past I've had: Oakley, Maui Jims, Navtive, Ray Ban, and probably a few others I've forgotten the name of. I'm rough on my glasses, but I wear them everyday the sun shines. If the frame gets broken, or the nose cushion degrades, or the lenses get scratched, I can return them to the manufacturer and get them replaced or repaired for free, or at a very low cost.

Here's an example: I had a pair of Maui Jims that were having some flaking of the film over the lens. I sent them back and they were replaced with new lenses for no charge.

Another example: I had a pair of Natives that I had left in my black vehicle this winter on a clip on the sun visor. I had used the mirror on the visor to tie my stock tie. I left the visor down and the went hunting. The sun heated the interior of my car and caused the frame part that goes over your ear to melt and warp. Off they went to the manufacturer to get repaired.

So if you are good about not losing your sunglasses, going designer can be cheaper in the long run.

Thanks guys!

I wonder too about $15 sunglasses that say they off 400 protection. I know that you pay a lot for the "name" of designer brands, but can they really make good protective lenses for $15?.. with the cost of labor and frame materials.

I have to get with it this summer! I'm really bad at wearing hats and sunglasses. With hats, I hate having some of my vision blocked, and same with glasses, I hate not being able to see naturally.

Thanks guys!

I wonder too about $15 sunglasses that say they off 400 protection. I know that you pay a lot for the "name" of designer brands, but can they really make good protective lenses for $15?.. with the cost of labor and frame materials.

I have to get with it this summer! I'm really bad at wearing hats and sunglasses. With hats, I hate having some of my vision blocked, and same with glasses, I hate not being able to see naturally.

Studies have shown that the UV protection is all over the place in the majority of sunglasses - designer or 7-11 pair - but Oakley is the only designer brand that I know of that spends millions of dollars to design and manufacture all of their stuff in-house to the specifications they claim and they have the reputation of proven quality that reflects that. Also, their lenses are not mass manufactured in China as their lenses are designed and made in the Oakley facility using a careful and very scientific process that focuses on optical clarity and durability. Nobody else really does that "Made In The USA" on the same level to my knowledge.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    One step further:

prescription sunglasses? That aren't $300 since they are going to the barn?

I can see well enough without my glasses but my perception is obviously better with my lenses on. I can't wear contacts.
    www.eyebuydirect.com I get all my glasses from here and I don't think I've paid more than about $16 each. For sunglasses I just had them add the heavy tint to regular glasses. It's hard to beat the price, and if you break or lose a pair it's no big deal. Funny thing though, probably 'cuz they are inexpensive, I haven't broken a single pair! If you order from there, use my 15% off discount code-IFJB6J3456 -I get a credit every time it's used so I can buy more! So far I've gotten 7 or 8 pair absolutely free.