The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good videos of tests/comparison of levels

Old H/J rider here. Although I've taken a handful of dressage clinics many years ago "off season", I'm just really beginning to learn more about it - tests, etc.

We have just moved into a barn where the trainer/manager is dressage. My green OTTB is getting great training in learning to be more comfortable/balance under saddle. When I hear that "he's doing great, that trot is comparable to Training Level 3", I'm not sufficiently aware of the nuances that suggests.

I can read the different tests. And perhaps understand practically the movements requested.

But are there good videos showing the difference between the levels? E.g. an example of a horse having a good score at say, Training Level 1, then one having a good score at Training Level 2, and so on.

I also plan on attending a competition or two. But just trying to learn, other than from a book.

Apologize if I'm sounding confused. I am...!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

USDF puts out a video called "On the Levels"

1 members found this post helpful.

I second "On the Levels". Also keep in mind that the differences in way of going changes between the levels (First, Second, Third, etc) more than between individual tests within those levels.

The best way to understand the required way of going for each level is to read the "purpose" for that level, which remains the same in every test. You can find those on the test sheets. E.g., at Training Level it's "to confirm that the horse supple and moves freely forward in a clear and steady rhythm, accepting contact with the bit". At First level the horse should have "developed thrust to achieve improved balance and throughness and to achieve a more consistent contact with the bit". Of course, all of those words may simply confuse you further if you don't have much experience with dressage, so videos like the ones mentioned above are probably best!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

1 members found this post helpful.

On the Levels is also available as an iPad app. It's a great tool!

You could also go to YouTube and search for videos of the tests. This website posts examples of tests at each level.

http://www.dressage-academy.com/about-dressage.php#

How about a Steffan Peters/Janet Brown symposium explaining what the judges look for through each level (i.e. the difference between a training trot and a 2nd level trot)?

My favourite youtube series to date:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvWZ8n3vWfk

The above link is to one video, the sidebar from youtube should provide you with the remainder.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Great! These are so helpful.
    Appreciate it!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes